« Back Contact information • History • Holdings • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: B-10Last update of repository: 8 June 2017
Rossiiskii gosudarstvennyi arkhiv fonodokumentov (RGAFD)
RGAFD, as it was renamed in 1992, was originally established as the separate Central Archive of Sound Recordings (Tsentral'nyi arkhiv zvukozapisei) in 1932, but then merged with the Central Photo, Sound, and Film Archive of the USSR (TsFFKA) in 1934. TsGAZ SSSR was reestablished as a separate archive in 1967 on the basis of the sound division of what was by then the Central State Archive of Documentary Films, Photographs, and Sound Recordings (TsGAKFFD SSSR). TsGAZ SSSR received its present name in 1992.
Following the closing of the Vladimir Branch of the Russian State Archive of Documentary Films and Photographs (RGAKFD—B-11) in 1997, the sound recordings from that repository, having been gathered there from regional studios throughout the RSFSR, have been transferred to RGAFD and integrated with the RGAFD holdings. Before 1992, the Vladimir Branch of RGAKFD had been the separate Central State Archive of Documentary Films, Photographs, and Sound Recordings of the RSFSR (TsGAKFFD RSFSR).