IISH

« Back       Contact information  •  History  •  Holdings  •  Access & Facilities  •  Bibliography

ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: B-11

Last update of repository: 7 June 2017

Rossiiskii gosudarstvennyi arkhiv kinofotodokumentov (RGAKFD)


Previous names
1978–1992   Tsentral'nyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv kinofotofonodokumentov RSFSR (TsGAKFFD RSFSR)
[Central State Archive of Documentary Films, Photographs, and Sound Recordings of the RSFSR]
1967–VI.1992   Tsentral'nyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv kinofotodokumentov SSSR (TsGAKFD SSSR)
[Central State Archive of Documentary Films and Photographs of the USSR]
1941–1967   Tsentral'nyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv kinofotofonodokumentov SSSR (TsGAKFFD SSSR)
[Central State Archive of Documentary Films, Photographs, and Sound Recordings of the USSR]
1934–1941   Tsentral'nyi fotofonokinoarkhiv SSSR (TsFFKA SSSR)
[Central Photo, Sound, and Film Archive of the USSR]
1926–1934   Tsentral'nyi arkhiv kinofotodokumentov RSFSR (TsAKFD RSFSR)
[Central State Archive of Documentary Film and Photographs of the RSFSR]
History
The present organization of the archive dates from 1992 as a result of the amalgamation of the former TsGAKFD SSSR in Krasnogorsk and TsGAKFFD RSFSR in Vladimir (founded in 1978).
        State-sponsored collections of documentary films were started with the founding in 1918 of the Moscow and Petrograd Film Committees under Narkompros RSFSR, which not only produced, but also retained archival copies of newsreels. Starting in 1919, film and photographic documents were concentrated in the Seventh Section of the Consolidated State Archival Fond (EGAF), in the so-called iconographic division of the Archive of the October Revolution. More formally, film and photographic documents became a part of EGAF in 1926. At that time they were concentrated in the newly established Central Archive of Documentary Films and Photographs (under Tsentrarkhiv RSFSR). A special building for film storage was built in 1928 in Moscow. TsAKFD RSFSR was merged in 1934 with the Central Archive of Sound Recordings (TsAZ), which had been established earlier in 1932. From 1941 until 1967, the combined archive was known as TsGAKFFD SSSR. In 1953, the archive was moved to a newly constructed building outside of Moscow in Krasnogorsk. In 1967, following the detachment of the sound division to form a separate new archive (TsGAZ SSSR—now RGAFD—B–10), the repository for documentary films and photographs was renamed TsGAKFD SSSR.
        What had been the branch archive in Vladimir was originally founded in 1978 as a separate Central State Archive for documentary films and photographs for the RSFSR (TsGAKFFD RSFSR). In 1992 it was administratively combined with the former TsGAKFD SSSR, and reorganized as a branch of the newly renamed RGAKFD in Krasnogorsk. In April 1997 the archive was added to the federal register of the most valuable monuments of the cultural heritage of the peoples of the Russian Federation.
        Starting in 1997, the Vladimir Branch of RGAKFD was abolished as a separate facility. The holdings of documentary films and photographs from Vladimir were transferred to the central RGAKFD facility in Krasnogorsk and are being integrated with the RGAKFD holdings. The holdings of sound recordings from the Vladimir Branch of RGAKFD were transferred to RGAFD (B–10).


ABB ArcheoBiblioBase Archeo Biblio Base Patricia Kennedy Grimsted