« Back Contact information • History • Holdings • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: C-10Last update of repository: 12 November 2012
Tsentral'nyi arkhiv atomnoi otrasli (Tsentratomarkhiv)
The present State Corporation of Atomic Energy “Rosatom”, former Ministry of Atomic Energy owes its origin to the Special Committee which was founded in August 1945 under the State Committee for Defense (GKO) to oversee the development of atomic energy in the USSR. The Special Committee, then headed by Lavrentii Beriia (Beria), was developed on the basis of the so-called Laboratory 2, which had been established in 1943. When the GKO was disbanded in September 1945, the Special Committee was recast as directly subordinate to the Council of People’s Commissars (SNK) of the USSR (Council of Ministers after March 1946). After Beriia’s arrest in June 1953, the Special Committee was dissolved, and the staff and organizations under its control were transferred to the newly created Ministry of Medium Machine-Building (Ministerstvo srednego mashinostroeniia—Minsredmash) of the USSR.
Following the 1965 general reform in the administration of manufacturing and industry, a separate State Committee for the Utilization of Atomic Energy was created which took over many of the functions of Minsredmash relating to atomic energy. The Ministry of Atomic Energy (Minatom) itself was set up in mid-1986 in the wake of the Chernobyl accident. Its functions were relatively limited until mid-1989, when it essentially replaced the recently-abolished Ministry of Medium Machine-Building, and it was renamed the Ministry of Atomic Energy and Industry (Minatomenergoprom). In accordance with a January 1992 presidential decree it was renamed the Ministry of Atomic Energy of the Russian Federation (Minatom). In 2004 Ministry was reorganized to the Federal Agency of Atomic Energy of the Russian Federation. It assumed its present name of State Atomic Energy Corporation “Rosatom” with a federal law of December 2007.
The Central Archive of the Atomic Industry (Tsentratomarkhiv or Archive of Rosatom) has brought together records of the Special Committee and those from a number of predecessor and associated agencies associated with Soviet atomic development. According to Russian archival regulation, it has the right to long-term retention of its own records.