IISH

« Back       Contact information  •  History  •  Holdings  •  Access & Facilities  •  Bibliography

ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: C-4

Last update of repository: 9 June 2017

Tsentral'nyi arkhiv Ministerstva oborony RF (TsAMO)


Previous names
1992–1.VI.1992   Tsentral'nyi arkhiv Ob"edinennykh Vooruzhennykh Sil Sodruzhestva Nezavisimykh Gosudarstv
[Central Archive of the United Armed Forces of the Commonwealth of Independent States]
1975–1992   Tsentral'nyi arkhiv Ministerstva oborony SSSR (TsAMO SSSR)
[Central Archive of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR]
1953–1975   Arkhiv Ministerstva oborony SSSR (AMO SSSR)
[Archive of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR]
1950–1953   Arkhiv Voennogo ministerstva SSSR (AVM SSSR)
[Archive of the Military Ministry of the USSR]
1947–1950   Arkhiv Ministerstva Vooruzhennykh Sil SSSR (AMVS SSSR)
[Archive of the Ministry of the Armed Forces of the USSR]
1944–1947   Otdel arkhivov Krasnoi Armii Narodnogo komissariata oborony SSSR/Ministerstva Vooruzhennykh Sil SSSR
[Division of Archives of the Red Army of the People’s Commissariat of Defense of the USSR/Ministry of the Armed Forces of the USSR]
1943–1944   Istoriko-arkhivnyi otdel Narodnogo komissariata oborony SSSR
[Historico-Archival Division of the People’s Commissariat of Defense of the USSR]
1936–1943   Otdel arkhivov Narodnogo komissariata oborony SSSR
[Division of Archives of the People’s Commissariat of Defense of the USSR]
History
Established in 1936 as a separate Division of Archives within the Administration of Affairs of the People’s Commissariat of Defense (Narodnyi komissariat oborony—NKO). In July 1941, by order of the General Staff of Red Army (RKKA), all of the most important documents from main and central departments of NKO dating through 1939 were transferred to the archive, although after the Second World War, most of those predating 1939 were transferred to TsGASA (now RGVA—B-8). In 1944 the archive was moved to the military compound in Podol'sk (Moscow Oblast). In July 1947 the Division of Archives of the Red Army under the Ministry of the Armed Forces (MVS) of the USSR was reorganized as the Archive of the Ministry and directly subordinated to the General Staff. In 1950, and again in 1953, the name of the archive changed in connection with changes in the name of the Ministry. In 1975, the archive acquired an official status as the central archive for military agencies. Its present name dates from 1992.
        The archive has branches: in Pugachev, Saratov oblast (413729, Saratov oblast, Pugachev, v/ch (military side) 61220; tel.: +7 845-74 2-19-11, +7 845-74 2-19-12), established in 1992; in Gatchina, Leningrad oblast—Central Naval Archive (Tsentral'nyi voenno-morskoi arkhiv [TsVMA], see C-5); in St. Petersburg—Archive of Military Medical Records (Arkhiv voenno-meditsinskikh dokumentov) under Military Medical Museum (see H-212), and also branches in all military districts.


ABB ArcheoBiblioBase Archeo Biblio Base Patricia Kennedy Grimsted