« Back Contact information • History • Holdings • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: C-5Last update of repository: 18 March 2016
Arkhiv Voenno-Morskogo Flota, Gatchina—Filial Tsentral'nogo arkhiva Ministerstva oborony RF
The Central Naval Archive (TsVMA) was initially founded in Moscow in 1938 as an archival division of the Administrative Department of the People’s Commissariat of the Navy (Narkomat Voenno-Morskogo Flota—NK VMF), since 1940—the Division of Archives of the Commissariat. It was evacuated to Ul'ianovsk in 1941, and later, in 1942, renamed the Central Archive of the Administrative Department of the People’s Commissariat of the Navy. The archive accessioned, registered, and preserved the records of the Navy General Staff, the central administration and divisions of the People’s Commissariat of the Navy, disbanded units, formations, and institutions of fleets and flotillas, and also directed archival services within the Navy. In 1945 the archive was transferred to Leningrad, and renamed the Central Archive of the People’s Commissariat of the Navy, as a division within the Navy General Staff.
With the reorganization of the Armed Forces in 1946, when the separate People’s Commissariat of the Navy was abolished, and the Navy came under the Ministry of the Armed Forces. At that point the Central Archive came under the jurisdiction of the Ministry. After the separate Ministry of the Navy was reestablished in 1950, the archive was reorganized as the Central Naval Archive, the name of which has continued since then, although in 1953, it came under the consolidated Ministry of Defense. Based in Gatchina since 1961, and subordinate to the Chief of the Navy General Staff, the archive serves as the central repository for all post-1941 naval records.
In 20?? TsVMA became branch of the Central Archive of the Ministry of Defense (C–4) and renamed Archive of the Navy in Gatchina.