« Back Contact information • History • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: D-015Last update of repository: 1 February 2017
*Arkhivnyi komitet Sankt-Peterburga (AK SPb)
As established in 1918, the Second Division of the Sixth Section of the Consolidated State Archival Fond (EGAF) absorbed all of the archives of local agencies of the city and guberniia, which in 1922 came under the jurisdiction of the Petrograd Guberniia Archival Bureau. Separate archival repositories were subsequently organized for prerevolutionary records and for the so-called Archive of the October Revolution, which brought together local records relating to the Revolution and other postrevolutionary records transferred from state agencies. After the reestablishment of Leningrad Oblast in 1927, all of the archival repositories for local records were transferred to the jurisdiction of the Leningrad Oblast Archival Bureau, under which in 1928, a Secret Archive was also established. After the establishment of the local Party Archive in 1929, Party-related records were transferred there.
In 1932, the Archival Bureau was reorganized into the Leningrad Oblast Archival Administration, but the oblast archives under it retained the status of divisions. Starting in 1934, the Archival Administration also started to organize raion and city archives within Leningrad Oblast, which initially had the status of temporary (as opposed to permanent) record centers. In 1936 the previously organized oblast-level archival repositories were given the status as separate, independent administrative entities—the Archive of the October Revolution (LOAOR, see D-15) for postrevolutionary records, and an Historical Archive (LOGIA, see D-16), for prerevolutionary records. At that point, the holdings of the Secret Archive were divided between them, since each had a secret division.
In 1938 the local city and oblast archives were transferred to the jurisdiction of local agencies under the People’s Commissariat (and after 1946 Ministry) of Internal Affairs (NKVD–MVD), and accordingly until the early 1960s, local archives in Leningrad were under the control of the Archival Division of the Administration of Internal Affairs (AO UVD) of Leningrad Oblast.
In 1962 the administration of state archives was removed from the jurisdiction of the MVD, and in Leningrad, the archival administrative agency was reorganized and control divided between the Archival Division of Leningrad City Executive Committee (AO Lengorispolkoma) and the Archival Division of Leningrad Oblast (AO Lenoblispolkoma) Executive Committee. In connection with the consolidation of the executive committees of the city and oblast in March 1969, the Archival Administration of Leningrad Oblast and City Executive Committees (AU Lenoblgorispolkomov) was established on the basis of the earlier separate Archival Divisions.
Between 1966 and 1972 three new city archives were organized under the Archival Administration—for film, photo-, and phonographic documents (D–19), for literature and art (D–18), and scientific-technical documentation (D–20). In 1969 the oblast-level archive in Vyborg (D–25), which from 1964 to 1969 had been a branch of LGAORSS, was reorganized as a separate archive to retain records of all oblast-level agencies. Central State Archive for Personnel Records of Liquidated Enterprises of St. Petersburg was organized in 1999.
Starting in 1991, the Archival Administration became a structural part of the St. Petersburg Mayor’s Office and the Administration (starting in 1994, Government) of Leningrad Oblast, providing organizational-methodological direction for state (municipal) and agency archives for the city and oblast, including guidance in records administration. In December 1991, the former Leningrad Party Archive also came under the same jurisdiction and was reorganized as the Central State Archive of Historico-Political Records (Documents) of St. Petersburg (D–17). In 1996, in conjunction with the reorganization of city government, the Archival Administration came under the Administration of St. Petersburg and Government of Leningrad Oblast.
Archival Committee of St. Petersburg was established in September 2008 in accordance with decree of Government of St. Petersburg. Consolidated Archival Committee of St. Petersburg and Leningrad Oblast was divided to Archival Committee of St. Petersburg and Archival Committee of Leningrad Oblast (D–025). Decree entered into force in 1 January 2009. Leningrad Oblast State Archive in Vyborg (D–25) came under jurisdiction of the Archival Committee of Leningrad Oblast.
At the present time (2013) within the Archival Committee of St. Petersburg system there are seven central archives.