IISH

« Back       Contact information  •  History  •  Access & Facilities  •  Bibliography

ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: D-08

Last update of repository: 31 July 2014

*Glavnoe arkhivnoe upravlenie Moskovskoi oblasti


Previous names
1999–2005   Upravlenie po delam arkhivov Moskovskoi oblasti
[Administration for Archival Affairs of Moscow Oblast]
1991–1999   Komitet po delam arkhivov Administratsii Moskovskoi oblasti (Mosoblkomarkhiv)
[Committee for Archival Affairs of the Administration of Moscow Oblast]
1961–1991   Arkhivnoe upravlenie Mosoblispolkoma (AU Mosoblispolkoma)
[Archival Administration of the Moscow Oblast Executive Committee]
1938–1960   Arkhivnoe upravlenie Upravleniia NKVD Moskovskoi oblasti
[Archival Administration of the Moscow Oblast NKVD Administration]
1931–1938   Moskovskoe oblastnoe arkhivnoe upravlenie
[Moscow Oblast Archival Administration]
1929–1931   Moskovskoe oblastnoe arkhivnoe biuro
[Moscow Oblast Archival Bureau]
1922–1929   Moskovskoe gubernskoe arkhivnoe biuro
[Moscow Guberniia Archival Bureau]
1919–1922   Moskovskii gubernskii arkhivnyi fond
[Moscow Guberniia Archival Fond]
History
The Moscow Guberniia Archival Fond was established in 1919, according to the decree “On Guberniia Archival Fonds.” The Fond simultaneously functioned as an administrative agency for archival affairs for the territory of Moscow Guberniia and an actual concentration of archival materials of local guberniia institutions and organizations that were abolished after the October 1917 Revolution. In 1922, the administrative functions where reorganized under the Moscow Guberniia Archival Bureau, and the archival administrative and actual archival repository functions continued in a single institution. In archival storage areas, complexes of records were concentrated by subject headings, and soon these repositories started to be called archives. Thus, in 1925 under the auspices of the Archival Bureau, an Archive of the October Revolution (AOR) and an Historical Archive were founded; not yet independent administrative entities, they constituted divisions of the Bureau. Similarly, after 1926, uezd archives were also founded within the structure of the Archival Bureau.
        In conjunction with the renaming of administrative-territorial divisions in 1929, Moscow Guberniia Archival Bureau was reorganized as the Moscow Oblast Archival Bureau, and then in 1931, the latter was reorganized as the Moscow Oblast Archival Administration. Starting in 1932, under its jurisdiction, several new archives were formed–an archive of the economy, a military archive, and an archive of trade unions, which, like AOR and the Historical Archive had the status of divisions. On the basis of these divisions, several separate archives were organized with their own administrations, namely—the Historical Archive (usually dated as a separate institution from 1930), the Archive of the October Revolution (usually dated as a separate institution from 1925), the Military Archive, and the Secret Archive. Earlier in 1934–1935, on the basis of previous uezd archives, raion archives were established with varying record holdings. All of these repositories remained under the authority of the Archival Administration, although AORMO and the Historical Archive formally became separate administrative entities in 1937.
        After the transfer of state archives to the authority of the NKVD in 1938, the Oblast Archival Administration became part of the Moscow Oblast NKVD Administration. In 1941, the State Archive of the October Revolution and Socialist Development of Moscow Oblast (GAORSS MO) was established on the basis of the former AOR, and the then-separate Historical Archive was reorganized as the State Historical Archive of Moscow Oblast (GIAMO). That situation lasted until 1960, when state archives and their administrative agencies were transferred to the authority of the Council of Ministers of the USSR.
        In 1961, Moscow city and oblast Archival Administrations were divided into separate administrative entities. The Moscow Oblast Archival Administration came under the authority of the Moscow Oblast Executive Committee (Mosoblispolkom), and initially retained both GIAMO and GAORSS MO under its jursidiction, together with the branch of GAORSS which was established in Zaraisk in 1960. It also administered the system of raion archives throughout the oblast. In 1963, the holdings of GIAMO were transferred to city jurisdiction and became the basis for the prerevolutionary division of the newly established Central State Archive of the City of Moscow (TsGA g. Moskvy) under the Archival Division of the Moscow City Executive Committee (Mosgorispolkom). In 1965 GAORSS MO was renamed the State Archive of Moscow Oblast, and its Zaraisk branch was moved to Bronnitsy.
        In 1991 Moscow Oblast Archival Administration was renamed Committee for Archival Affairs of the Administration of Moscow Oblast (Mosoblkomarkhiv), in 1999—Administration for Archival Affairs of Moscow Oblast, and in 2005—Main Archival Administration of Moscow Oblast. At the present time under the authority of the Main Archival Administration supervises recordkeeping and archives throughout the oblast. It directly administers TsGAMO and its Branch for Temporary Storage of Documents (see D-8), Moscow Oblast Archival Center, along with almost 70 raion and municipal archives.


ABB ArcheoBiblioBase Archeo Biblio Base Patricia Kennedy Grimsted