« Back Contact information • History • Holdings • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: D-15Last update of repository: 1 February 2017
Tsentral'nyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv Sankt-Peterburga (TsGA SPb)
The local Archive of the October Revolution (AOR), established in Leningrad in 1925 as part of the Guberniia Archival Bureau, in 1927 became the Archive of the October Revolution of the newly established Leningrad oblast, still remaining a part of the Archival Bureau. Gaining a more separate status 1936 as LOAOR, the archive was organized to retain records of organizations, enterprises, and institutions of the city and oblast of Leningrad, and fonds of personal papers, starting with 1917. The archive received part of the materials from the Secret Archive that existed from 1928 under the Oblast Archival Administration. In 1941 the archive was combined with the oblast-level photograph archive and Archive of the Red Army.
During World War II and immediately afterwards, the archive accessioned records of military units from the Leningrad Front, but in the mid-1950s records of military organizations (with a few exceptions) were transferred to central military archives. During the period 1966 to 1972, three separate new city archives were established—now TsGAKFFD SPb (D–19), TsGALI SPb (D–18), and TsGANTD SPb (D–20)—to which have been transferred many holdings of GAORSS LO in the profile areas of those archives. Some holdings from oblast-level agencies are now held in Leningrad Oblast State Archive in Vyborg (LOGAV—D-25), which from 1964 to 1969 had been a branch of LGAORSS.