« Back Contact information • History • Holdings • Access & Facilities • Bibliography
ArcheoBiblioBase: Archives in Russia: D-16Last update of repository: 12 November 2017
Tsentral'nyi gosudarstvennyi istoricheskii arkhiv Sankt-Peterburga (TsGIA SPb)
Organization of the present archive was started in 1932, when the Leningrad Oblast Archival Bureau was reorganized into the Leningrad Oblast Archival Administration with separate oblast archives under it, which were divided into the oblast-level Archive of the October Revolution and the Historical Archive. The latter was based on records of local institutions of the city and guberniia of St. Petersburg that had formed part of the second division of the Sixth Section of the Consolidated State Archival Fond (EGAF), as established in 1918, and which during the 1920s were under the administration of the Guberniia (from 1927—Leningrad Oblast) Archival Bureau. As then organized, the Historical Archive consisted of two divisions namely, the Division of Politics, Law, Culture, and Life; and the Division of Economy. On the basis of the existing Historical Archive, in 1936, the Leningrad State Oblast Historical Archive (LOGIA) was established, which also incorporated a newly organized Division of Secret Fonds. In 1941 it was renamed the State Historical Archive of Leningrad Oblast (GIALO), and in 1964, the Leningrad State Historical Archive (LGIA). In 1988 the Archive was raised to the level of a central archive and renamed the Central State Historical Archive of Leningrad (TsGIA Leningrada) (from 1991, of St. Petersburg).