Luigi Fabbri Papers
Total size 5.25 m.
Consultation Not restricted
Born in Fabriano (Ancona), Italy 1877, died in Montevideo, Uruguay 1935; anarchist militant and writer; first sentenced for anarchist activities at the age of 16 in Ancona; shortly afterwards he began contributing to the anarchist press ( Il Pensiero , La Protesta Umana , L'Avvenire Sociale ), mostly under his pseudonym Catilina ; one of the editors, beside Errico Malatesta, of L'Agitazione 1897-1898 until his arrest in May 1898; imprisoned until October 1900; went to Rome and resumed publication of L'Agitazione ; founded in 1903 with Pietro Gori Il Pensiero , which was to last until 1913 and which remains one of the most important Italian anarchist periodicals; delegate to the International Anarchist Congress held in Amsterdam in 1907; contributed to and at one point edited Volontà 1913-1915; after the war, he refounded Volontà 1919-1920; contributed to and eventually became one of the editors of Umanità nova 1920-1922 and Pensiero e Volonta ̀ 1924-1926; went into exile in 1926, first to Paris, where he published La Lotta Umana 1927-1929; expelled from France, he went to Belgium and finally to South America, where he settled in Montevideo, Uruguay; there he started publishing Studi Sociali , continued by his daughter Luce after his death in 1935; among his publications are 'Carlo Pisacane' 1904, 'Lettere ad una donna sull'anarchia' 1905, 'Lettere a un socialista' 1914 and 'Malatesta: su vida e su pensamiento'.
Personal documents; diary 1915; letters from prison 1894-1895, 1897-1900; correspondence, primarily incoming letters; handwritten and typed manuscripts of books, articles and translations by Fabbri, and some notes; manuscripts by others; clippings of articles by Fabbri; press clippings primarily from Italian newspapers on the First World War, the Russian Revolution, anarchists and war, fascism etc.; circulars; some leaflets, mainly from Italy; reports and notes from the Second and Third Congress of the Unione Anarchica Italiana 1920-1921; other documents; documentation (1872-) 1880-1935.
Papers of others: manuscripts by Malatesta 1889-1890, 1892 and n.d.; manuscripts by Berzuglia 1929.
Inventory made by Amanda Elsinghorst of the parts received in 1975 (nos. 1-26), 1985 (nos. 27-50) and 1996 (nos. 51-361)
1914-1935. 23 folders.
Albert, Charles (Ligue Internationale pour l'Éducation Rationelle de l'Enfant).
Alerano, Sibilla .
Alessi, Rino .
Angió, Roberto .
Asteri, Aréti C.
Balabanoff, Angelica .
Baraldi, Ciro .
Baronchelli, Samuele .
Bartolozzi, Ettore .
Bassi, Forto see De Ambris, A.
Benelli, Sem .
Berkman, Alexander ( The Blast ).
Bernardi, Aldo .
Bertoni, Luigi .
Biondi, Ernesto .
Binazzi, Zelmira .
Bombacci, Nicola .
Bonazzi. Clodoves .
Borghi, Armando (including photocopy of a letter from Luigi Fabbri to Armando Borghi , see also Monatte , no. 16).
Bottazzi. Luigi ( Avanti ).
Campolonghi. Luigi .
Ceccerelli, Bianca .
Cena, Giovanni .
Checchia, Guiseppe .
Cini, Francesco .
Colajanni, Nicola (see also no. 17).
Colizza, Cesare .
Combes, Henry .
Conti, Giovanni .
Creaghe, Juan .
David, Alexandra .
De Ambris, Alceste (including copy `Au rédacteur de l'union des Métaux').
De Angelis .
De Falco, G. (Utopia).
Denis, Georges A.
Di Vittorio, G. see Vittorio .
Domanico, G. (to Enrico).
Domela Nieuwenhuis, Ferdinand .
Dumesnil, Louise .
Dunois, Amelie .
Fabbri, Luce .
Falbo, J.C. ( Il Messagero ) (to Melinelli).
Farini, Plinio (to Volontà ).
Faure, Sebastien .
Ferrer, Francisco .
Ferrer Y Gimeno, Javier .
Ferri, Enrico .
Fèvre, Henry .
Fienga, Dino ( Il Grido ).
Finot, Jean ( La Revue ).
Francesco, Tommaso de (to Gigi Damiani?).
Galucci, Arturo .
Ricciotti, Garibaldi .
Ghisleri, Arcangelo .
Gobetti, Piero ( Editore ).
Gori, Bice .
Gori, Pedro .
Grave, J. ( Temps Nouveaux ) (including article).
Grippo, P .
Guillaume, J ., including transcript of letters from Guillaume to Fabbri.
Harmel, ( La Guerre Sociale ).
Havel, Hippolyte .
Hervé, Gustave ( La Guerre Sociale ), letter to Maria Rygier.
Lagardelle, Hubert .
Il Lavatore ( Passigli, Giuseppe ).
Litrain, Cristobal .
Mazzoni, Virgilio S. (see also G. Zancredi ).
Melinelli (see J.C. Falba ).
Mesnil, Jacques (see no. 20 `Giacomo').
Monatte, Pierre , letter to Borghi ( La Vie
Mondolfo, Rodolfo .
Mondolfo, Ugo Guido , including letter from `Errico' to `Gigi'.
Monticelli, Temistocle .
Muczkowsky, Evariste .
Murri, R , including letters from Linda Murri and Fr.? Egidi.
Murri Bonmartini, Linda .
Mussolini, Benito ( Avanti ).
Colajanni, Nicola .
Nettlau, Max .
[Domela] Nieuwenhuis, Ferdinand (see Domela Nieuwenhuis, Ferdinand ).
Nomellini, Plinio .
Palmarini, I.(?) M.
Papini, Napoleon F.
Pargos, Stephanos ( Grammata )
Pesce, P.D. ( Humanitas ).
Podrecca, Guido .
Rafanelli, Zeda .
Rapisardi, see no.17.
Reclus, Paul .
Ricciotti, see Garibaldi.
Rizzini, Arrigo , letter from V..? to Rizzini.
Rocca, Massima (see L. Tancredi ).
Rygier, Maria (see also Hervé).
Satta, Sebastiano .
Scarpelli, Filiberto .
Schreyes ?, Paul ?
Sempere, F. , letter to J. Prats .
Serati, Menotti Giacinto .
Siglich, Renato , also including letter from `Clara' to `Bianca' and a letter from `Giacomo' [Mesnil].
Souvarine, B. , letter from `L.E.' to Souvarine.
Spinaci, Emilio .
Stackelberg, Frédéric .
Striccoli, Bianca , (letter to Striccoli).
Tancredi, Libero ( Massima Rocca
Tarezzi, Giuseppe .
Tartufani, Clarice .
Troilo, E. ( Rivista di Filosofia ).
- Correspondence with Conti , Fulgenzio , Ugo Lenzi , E. Leone , G.E. Modigliani , Toni Mondello , Oddino Morgari , Mario Poledrelli , Tilger , Pulvio Zocchi , E. Zoccoli and others. 1 folder.
Manuscripts and notes
Piazza di Capri'. Manuscript of the poem, signed: John Brown, including a
letter on the reverse side, signed: Comunard.
1st April 1898.
`Alla stampa ed al Pubblico perche giudichi'. Manuscript of the article by P. Calcagno . 24th January 1902.
Circular `Contro la propaganda pacifista' of the Comando della III armata Stato Maggiore. Manuscript. 14th March 1907.
Article concerning the Italian communist-anarchist congress. Handwritten. 4th August1914.
`Assemblea Anarchica'. Typescript of the circular by the Unione Anarchica Fiorentina. Carbon copy. 4th August 1919.
Circular of the Unione Anarchica Provinciale Fiorentina. Stencilled. 1919.
`Prefazione. Dittatura e Rivoluzione'. Manuscript of the preface by Errico Malatesta July 1922.
Circular of the Kropotkin Committee in Moscow, in Russian, including a handwritten French translation. 1925.
Text of a speech by Ferdinand Domela Nieuwenhuis.
Typescript of a poem. N.d.
Miscellaneous notes N.d. 1 folder..
Accrual 1985, received from Luce Fabbri
of a novel, p. 1-171. Untitled. Author unknown. In French. Photocopy.
Typescript of the play `Fino a che anche un sol'uomo resta'. Author unknown. Photocopy N.d.
Miscellaneous typescripts from Adalgisa Berneri-Fochi (?). Photocopies. N.d.
Photocopies of letters from Adalgisa Berneri-Fochi. 1934, 1939 and n.d. 1 portfolio.
of articles of Luigi Fabbri. With a proof.
1923 and n.d
Printed articles of Luigi Fabbri in Il Pensiero, Volontá, Umanita Nova, Studi Politici, Pensiero e Volontá . 1904, 1915, 1922-1924 and n.d.
Printed articles of Luigi Fabbri and Spartaco Acrate in La Protesta, Suplemento Quincenal . 1927-1930.
Printed articles of Max Nettlau in La Protesta, Suplemento Semanal 1922-1926.
Printed articles of Max Nettlau in La Protesta, Suplemento Quincenal and in Continental Obrera . 1927-1933 and n.d.
Printed articles of Luigi Bertoni, Sébastien Faure and others in Il Risveglio Anarchico and other periodicals. 1920, 1926, 1929-1933 and n.d
Materialismo e Libertà. Organo della F. Int. J.L., sezione italiana . 1964 and n.d. Stencilled periodicals. 1964 and n.d. 1 portfolio.
e organizzazione', manuscript of Errico Malatesta, including clippings of
articles of Errico Malatesta.
La nostra patria', manuscript of Pierre Ramus.
`Un attentat banque', manuscript of G. Sandomirski.
Manuscript of E. Cavelli. 1 box.
Rivoluzione', manuscript of Cafiero.
Manuscripts of and on Elisée Reclus.
Notes of Luigi Fabbri, including clippings. 1 box.
for translation by Luigi Fabbri.
Clippings on the Unione Sindicala Italiana, on L. Tancredi, on `discussione teorica' and clippings of various authors. 1 box.
- Clippings on congresses, on Alceste de Cambris, of articles of Errico Malatesta, Elisée Reclus, J. Mesnil, J.S. Nitti and clippings on Mussolini and fascism. 1 box.
- Clippings on the `Movimento Interventista', the congresses of the `Interventisti', the republicans, the war in Russia and the Russian revolution during World War I. 1 box.
of documents concerning Armando Borghi, which are available in the papers of
Luigi and Luce Fabbri, as far as they are present in the Biblioteca Libertaria
`Armando Borghi' in Castelbolognese, Italy. 1 portfolio.
NB. See detailed lists in inv.nr. 47.
- Clippings on Germany, Austria, Russia and the Russian revolution, the Italian socialists during World War I, polemic articles on the war and other subjects during World War I. 1 box.
newspapers and clippings, including notes.
Manuscripts on the war, written during World War I 1929-1930. 1 box.
LIST ACCRUAL 1996
Letters received from
family members and friends, alphabetically arranged by sender.
1904-1935. 15 folders and 103 covers.
NB. For the letters from unidentified persons see the numbers 169-186.
- Letters and some copies of letters from unidentified correspondents, chronologically arranged. 1906, 1908, 1910-1915, 1922, 1925-1935. 18 folders.
- Copies of letters from Fabbri to family members and friends, alphabetically arranged by sender. 1925-1935. 2 folders and 16 covers..
- Copies of letters from Fabbri to unidentified correspondents, chronologically arranged. 1928-1931, 1933. 5 folders.
- Letters from family members and friends to other persons, alphabetically arranged by sender. 1921, 1926, 1928, 1931, 1932. 6 folders..
- Manuscript by Fabbri on the socialist movement. With two critiques from J. Guillaume and R. Michels . 1907-1908. 1 folder.
- Documents concerning the conflict between the periodical Il Pensiero and the publishing-house Baraldi and Fleischman. 1905. 1 folder.
- Parts of manuscripts, pamphlets, circulars and other miscellaneous documents. 1913-1931. 1 folder.
- Documents on the inspectorship in educational institutions in Ancona and Bologna. 1914, 1921. 1 folder.
- File on the communist publication Falce e Martello against the anarchist Federico Ustoria. 1927. 1 folder.
- List of addresses of persons and institutions to whom the book 'Camisas Negras' had been sent. 1935. 1 folder.
List of the accrual received in 2001-2002
- Incoming letters. Chronologically arranged. 1908, 1926-1935 and n.d. 2 folders.
1914-1915, 1922- 1926, 1932-1935 and n.d. 14 covers, 2 folders.
Abad de Santillán, Diego .
1928-1929 and n.d.
N.B. Postcard 1929 from Argentina added in 2012 from the arrears of the IISH.
Copies of letters by
Luigi Fabbri to correspondents. Alphabetically arranged.
1901-1902, 1927-1935 and n.d.
5 covers and 2 folders.
Fabbri Foscolo and Salvolini, Aspasia
. 1901-1902, 1930-1935.
NB. With 2 letters from Foscolo Fabbri of which one is a transcript by Luigi Fabbri.
- Manuscripts, typescripts and printed articles written by several authors, used for the periodical Studi Sociali . c. 1895- 1930. 1 folder.
- Malatesta: L'Uomo-la Vida-il Pensiero . Manuscripts and typescripts in different phases of the book. With documentation, probably used for his biography on Errico Malatesta . c. 1920-1933. 6 folders.
- Publication of Dictadura y Revolución. With handwritten corrections by Luigi Fabbri . 1923. 1 piece.
- Manuscript Pensiero e Azione . First sketch of the biography on Errico Malatesta by Luigi Fabbri . c. 1933. 2 folders.
Manuscripts and typescripts
- Manuscripts and a few typescripts of published articles collected by Fabbri to improve or elaborate later. c. 1930. 1 folder.
- Incomplete manuscript El fascismo como fenómeno internacional . With documentation. 1932-1933 and n.d. 1 folder.
- Transcript by Fabbri of the article Il programma Comunista-Anarchico , originally written by Errico Malatesta . 1933 . 1 folder.
- Manuscript Associazione Internazionale dei Lavoratori. Programma Espositivo dei Principii. N.d. 1 folder.
- Transcript by Fabbri of the article Galileo Palla e i fatti di Roma , originally written by Errico Malatesta in 1891. N.d. 1 folder.
- Transcript by Fabbri of the article Riesumazione di attualità. Al popolo cubano , originally written by Errico Malatesta in 1900. N.d. 1 folder.
- Typescript Del Delito e Delle Pene Nella Societa' Futura , probably written by Fabbri. N.d. 1 cover.
- Printed articles, written by Luigi Fabbri. 1902- 1906, 1917, 1920-1935, n.d. 9 folders and 5 covers.
- Copies of the periodical La Lotta Umana with articles of Luce and Luigi Fabbri. 1927-1929. 1 folder.
- Printed articles on fascism by Fabbri, written under pseudonym Giulio Fabrizi . 1930-1931. 1 folder.
- Documents on the Italian anarchist paper La questione sociale , published in Paterson, New Jersey. With a few notes and transcripts by Luigi Fabbri. 1899-1900, 1931 and n.d. 1 folder.
- Handwritten diary by Fabbri concerning the Italian School of Montevideo. With documentation. 1929-1932. 1 folder.
- Published articles from Errico Malatesta , collected and sometimes provided with notes by Fabbri . 14 folders.
PAPERS OF OTHERS
- Copies of pages from the register of births, the population register, an other register and some newspapers related to Luigi Fabbri. 1877, 1907, 1913-1914. 1 folder.