Archives Luce Fabbri
Total size 2.6 m.
Consultation Not restricted
Born in Rome 1908; died in Montevideo, Uruguay 2000; daughter of Luigi Fabbri; anarchist publicist; studied literature in Bologna; left Italy illegally to be reunited with her exiled parents in Paris and joined them after their expulsion from France to Belgium and finally to Montevideo, Uruguay; assisted her father publishing Studi Sociali, which she continued after his death; became a teacher of history at a secondary school; during the Spanish Civil War also publisher of Il Risorgimento and during the Second World War editor of the Italian page of Socialismo y Libertad; taught Italian literature at the university of Montevideo from 1949 until 1991, interrupted from 1974-1986 by the military regime; author of `I Canti dell'Attesa' 1932, `Camisas Negras' 1935, `19 de Julio Antología de la Revolucíon Española' (under the pseudonym Luz de Alba) 1937, `La Poesía de Leopardi' 1971, `Luigi Fabbri-Storia d'un nomo libero' (not yet published), of many pamphlets and contributions to libertarian and literary periodicals in Uruguay and Argentina.
Personal papers: letters, partly received as editor of Studi Sociali, from Diego Abad de Santillán 1934-1961, Francisco A. Barrios 1964-1965, Giovanna Berneri 1935-1959, Ugo Fedeli 1945-1951, 1961, José Grunfeld 1946, 1961-1964, Pedro Herrera 1965, Osvaldo Maraviglia 1945, 1947, 1954, 1962-1964, Rodolfo Mondolfo 1939-1970, Carlos Rama 1942, 1952-1953, 1955, Max Sartin (pseudonym of Raffaele Schiavina) 1948, 1956, 1962-1963, Augustin Souchy 1947, 1949, 1956, 1961, Renato Treves 1939, 1941, 1945, 1950, 1952, 1955, Pio Turroni 1939-1947, 1954 and many others 1930-1978; a series of correspondence, mainly concerning the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939; a manuscript entitled `Democrazia-Liberalismo-Socialismo-Anarchismo' 1953.
Identification papers 1929, 1937; letters from Diego Abad de Santillán 1946, Luigi Bertoni 1946, Marie Louise Berneri 1944, Luis Barbetti 1957, Noémie Caneri 1937-1956, Maria Teresa Cortese 1952-1965, Ugo Fedeli 1939-1954, Pier Carlo Masini 1954- 1964, Clara and Jacques Mesnil 1929-1939, Ricardo Mestre 1986, Rodolfo Mondolfo 1955, 1960, Federica Montseny 1952-1954, Torquato Nanni 1987, Mattia Rossetti 1954, Helmut Rüdiger 1957, Aldo Venturini 1954, Gaetano Salvemini 1945, 1954, Augustin Souchy 1946, Giovanna Zaccaria 1953 and also correspondence with many others 1910-2000; books of condolence at the death of Luigi Fabbri, Ermacora Cressatti and Bianca Sbriccoli-Fabbri 1935, 1970 and 1972; letters of condolence at the death of Luigi Fabbri 1935; memo-books 1965, 1968, 1984, 1994 and n.d; manuscripts of Luce Fabbri's `Camisas Negras' 1935, `Luigi Fabbri: storia d'un uomo libero' 1996, and other handwritten and typed manuscripts of articles and notes 1931, 1962, 1985, c. 1990 and n.d.; file on her senior thesis concerning Elisé Reclus 1927-1930; file on the `Studi Sociali' c. 1930-1946; letters and other documents from Misato Toda 1982-1998; published articles and reviews 1929-2000; circulars, press clippings and other printed documents 1898-1998.
Papers of others: letters to Bianca Sbriccoli-Fabbri 1950, 1952 and letters to Torquato Gobbi, including some other documents 1928-1955.
Papers of others: Letters from Luigi Fabbri to Bianca Sbriccoli-Fabbri 1900-1907 and n.d. and letters from others to Bianca Sbriccoli-Fabbri 1906, 1927-1930, 1938; typescript and manuscripts from Libero Battistelli n.d.
List first part (inv. nrs. 1-40) made by Tiny de Boer in 1996
List accrual 2001 (inv. nrs. 41-263) made by Amanda Elsinghorst in 2002
List accrual 2003 (inv. nrs. 264-290) made by Amanda Elsinghorst in 2004
Luce Fabbri was born in Rome, Italy in 1908. She was the
daughter of the anarchist publicist Luigi Fabbri .
Luce Fabbri studied literature in Bologna. She left
Italy illegally for reuniting with her exiled parents in Paris and joined them
after their expulsion from France to Belgium and then to Montevideo, Uruguay.
She assisted her father in publishing Studi Sociali ,
which she continued after his death until 1946.
Then she became a teacher of history at a secondary school. During the Spanish Civil War she published El Risurgimiento and during the Second World War she was editor of the Italian page of Socialismo y Libertad . She taught Italian literature at the University of Montevideo from 1949 until 1991, interrupted from 1974-1986 by the military regime.
She is the author of 'I Canti dell'Attesa' 1932, 'Camisas Negras' 1935, '19 de Julio - Antología de la Revolución Española' (under the pseudonym Luz de Alba) 1937, 'La Poesía de Leopardi' 1971, '
Luigi Fabbri - Storia d'un nomo libero' (not yet published) and of many pamphlets and of contributions to libertarian and literary periodicals in Uruguay, Argentine and after 1945 also Italy.
Her papers were received at the IISH in 1995. The main part consists of letters received as editor of Studi Sociali . Files of correspondence with Giovanna Berneri and Rodolfo Mondolfo had already been created by Luce Fabbri . Together with these files an alphabetical series has been formed of the most frequent names. The remaining correspondence has been arranged in a chronological series. The papers also contain a series of correspondence, mainly concerning the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939. However, the researcher will also find correspondence on this subject in the chronological and alphabetical series of these papers.
Letters by others to Bianca Sbriccoli Fabbri 1950, 1952 and letters to Torquato Gobbi are also to be found in these papers. A few photographs have been transferred to the audiovisual section and a periodical and a pamphlet have been transferred to the library of the IISH.
The size of this part of the papers is 0.5 m.
- Correspondence, chronologically arranged. 1930, 1932, 1934-1965, 1967-1969, 1971, 1973-1974, 1977-1978 and n.d. 2 boxes.
25 covers and 3 folders.
Abad de Santillan, Diego .
1934-1935, 1939, 1941, 1947, 1951, 1961.
N.B. See also inv.nos. 31-32, 38
- 'Democracia, liberalismo, socialismo, anarquismo'. Manuscript of the article by Luce Fabbri . With a letter from Federíca Montseny . 1953. 1 cover.
- Part of a typescript of a pamphlet on the Greek philosophers. In Portuguese language. N.d. 1 cover.
- List of the remaining books and periodicals after the bombing of Luigi Fabbri's library. N.d. 1 cover.
LIST OF THE ACCRUAL 2001
This accrual to the papers of Luce Fabbri was acquired in 2001. The papers contained documents of Luigi Fabbri and Bianca Sbriccoli as well as papers from Luce Fabbri. The papers of Luce's mother Bianca Sbriccoli, covering a series of incoming letters from her husband Luigi Fabbri, were described as an annex at the end of this list. A few letters by Luce to her husband Ermacora Cressati were described at the end of this list as well. The papers of Luigi Fabbri were described in a separate list.
In arranging the papers the existing order has been maintained as far as possible. In general it was clear whether the papers were drawn up or received by Luce or by Luigi. However the user must be aware that the documents concerning the periodical Studi Sociali , where both Luigi and Luce were employed, should be consulted both in the list of the daughter and the father.
The first part of the papers were received in 1995 and were described in a separate list, containing the inv. nos. 1- 40. The series of correspondence do not exclude each other completely. To find all letters by a correspondent the general, private, alphabetical and chronological correspondence should be checked.
Books and periodicals have been transferred to the library and photographs to the audiovisual department of the institute.
The size of this part of the archives is 1.75 m. The total size is 2.25 m.
- Correspondence, chronologically arranged. 1924, 1928- 2000. 31 covers, 2 folders.
- Correspondence, alphabetically arranged . 1930- 2000. 61 covers, 4 folders.
- Letters from family members, alphabetically arranged. 1945- 1999. 14 covers and 1 folder.
cards of Luce Fabbri.
1929, 1937, 1974 and 1988.
N.B. Identity card 1987 added in 2012 from the arrears of the IISH. 1 cover.
- Manuscripts, sometimes supplied with letters, written by Luce and Luigi Fabbri , Gaston Leval , Salvatore Satta and (unidentified) others. c. 1928- 1937. 1 folder.
on the periodical Studi Sociale by Luigi and Luce Fabbri.
c.1930-c. 1943. 1 folder.
NB. With forms and paper clippings.
- Administrative documents on the Studi Sociali . 1932- 1960. 2 folders.
Typescript of the
senior thesis 'L' Opera Geografica Di Eliseo Reclus'. With notes, a letter,
manuscripts and clippings.
1927-1930, 1942 and n.d.
NB. The senior thesis was written in the academic year 1927-1928 at the University of Bologna.
Camisas Negras . [Published in 1935]. With clippings, notes, letters
and manuscripts of articles and a review written by Luigi Fabbri
c. 1932-1935. 5 folders.
NB. The manuscripts of articles by Luigi Fabbri were probably consulted for Camisas Negras.
- Manuscript Luigi Fabbri: Storia d' un uomo libero . With notes and source material on Luigi Fabbri. [Published in 1996]. 1946, 1969, 1985, 1996 and n.d. 4 folders.
- Publications of El Anticommunismo, el Antiimperialismo y la Paz and La Libertad entre la Historia y la Utopia . With handwritten corrections by Luce Fabbri. 1951 and c. 1962. 1 folder.
- Proofs of Diario de la Legion Italiana de Montevideo . With notes and source material. [Published 1997]. c. 1997. 2 folders.
- Prints and incoming letters by Antonia Fontanillas concerning Luce Fabbri's 'La libertad entre la historia y la utopia'. 1998- 1999. 1 folder.
Typescript 'Valore culturale dell' immigrazione italiana nel Río de la Plata'.
N.d. 1 folder.
NB. First part.
Manuscripts and Typescripts
typescripts of articles, sometimes without a title.
c. 1989-c. 1999
and n.d. 6 folders.
NB. With added letters.
Typescript and notes on Luigi Fabbri .
1973-1975, 1989 and n.d. 1 folder.
NB. With documentation on anarchism.
Notes by Luce Fabbri on 'Discorsi sopra la prima deca di Tito Livio' from
c. 1987. 1 folder.
NB. With letters.
- Printed reviews concerning Luce Fabbri's publications, written by several critics. 1930, 1933-1988, 1994. 1 folder.
- Reviews concerning Luce Fabbri's lectures on anti-fascism, written by several critics. 1933. 1 folder.
- Documents on the international libertarians. With notes by Luce Fabbri. 1952, c. 1992 and n.d. 1 folder.
- Documents concerning ethic and law lessons, probably at the university of Montevideo. 1958 and 1967. 1 folder.
- File on the archive of Luigi Fabbri. With draft lists, letters and notes by Luce Fabbri. c. 1977. 1 folder.
Manuscript and notes written by Luce Fabbri as part of the Italian literature
course at the university of Montevideo.
1987 and n.d.
NB. With printed articles written by Luigi Fabbri.
draft lists of questions that are used for interviews with Luce Fabbri.
1987, n.d. 1 folder.
NB. One of the lists is drawn up by Virginia Martinez .
- Documents on the expelled Italian family Persici . With poems and copied photos. 1996. 1 folder.
- Clippings concerning several subjects. 1897, 1917-1929, 1953-1981, 1994-1999. 3 covers.
- Documentation on politics. 1898-1907, 1925-1936, 1957- 1998. 2 covers and 1 folder.
- Clippings on politics published in La Protesta , Il Risveglio and L'adunata dei Refrattari . 1929- 1934. 1 folder.
- Circulars and pamphlets concerning syndicalism, anarchism and antifascism. c. 1935-c. 1997. 1 folder.
Papers of relatives
LIST Accrual 2002
This accrual to the papers of Luce Fabbri was acquired in 2002. The papers contained among others condolence books and papers from Luce's father Luigi Fabbri , her husband Ermacora Cressati and Luce's mother Bianca Sbriccoli-Fabbri .
The first part of the papers was received in 1995 and was described in a separate list, containing the inv. nos. 1-40. The second part of the papers was received in 2001 and was also described in a separate list, containing the inv. nos. 41-263.
Books and periodicals have been transferred to the library and photographs to the audiovisual department of the Institute
The size of this part of the papers is 0.36 m. The total size is 2.6 m.
- Appointments and contracts from the University of Montevideo and the Secondary School given to Luce Fabbri as a teacher. 1928-1974. 1 folder.
Manuscripts and typescripts
Manuscript and typescript written by Luce Fabbri on José B.
1940, 1997. 1 folder.
NB. With other documents including a letter written by Haro Barbara to José B. Gomensoro (1940).
- Manuscript on the USSR, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria. Probably written for the Federacion Anarquista Uruguaya . c. 1963. 1 folder.