International Fixed Calendar League Archives
(1925) 1928-1939 (1949)
Total size 0.35 m.
Consultation Not restricted
IFCL founded in 1923 by Moses B. Cotsworth who became its director; its aim was to establish a fixed calendar of thirteen equal months of four complete weeks each and the last day of the year as the Year-day; the IFCL had its seat in London and helped to form national committees to propagate the so-called simplification of the calendar; the IFCL had initially the sympathy and some support of the League of Nations but in the late 1930s the League of Nations ended its activities on calendar reform because of lack of consensus; the IFCL died a slow death.
Correspondence by Moses B. Cotsworth, director and L. Prins, secretary of the IFCL 1930-1937; files on contacts with J.L. Dik 1928-1937, Louis Fles 1930-1935 and other propagandists of calendar reform in Holland consisting of correspondence, lectures, press clippings etc.; files on contacts with members of the (Dutch) National Committee on Calendar Simplification 1928-1930; typed copies of press articles; pamphlets and other printed material 1925, 1928-1939 and 1949.
List made by Alison Condra
- Pamphlets on the case of Calender Reform, some published by the IFCL on behalf of the League of Nations and 1 booklet on Calender evolution and simpflication by Cotsworth . 1929-1938. 2 folders.
- Documents on the economic, social, religious and geographical implications of Calender Reform; Report from the League of Nations published by the IFCL. 1931-1937. 2 folders.
- Various booklets published by interest groups on the need for Calender Reform. 1909-1936. 1 folder.
- Text of a Debate between Stiles and Morris . 1933. ; Texts of Lectures, debates and cuttings, collected by L. Prins . 1 folder.
- Correspondence of the London Office with the Dutch Office and the Dutch media. 1928-1934. 1 folder.
- Correspondence of M.B. Cotsworth , including lectures on Calender Reform and IFCL papers. 1929-1937. 1 folder.
- Documents and letters concerning the implications of Calender Reform on religious groups. 1931-1937. 1 folder.
- Documents and articles on the effect of Calender Reform on the timing of Easter. 1930-1936. 1 folder.
- Invitations, programmes and other documents on the Dutch Community in London; Copy of a Letter written by Cotsworth ; Circular from the League of Nations . 1933-1937. 1 folder.
- Correspondence of the Dutch National League. 1928-1937 ; Press cuttings on Holland. 1929-1930. 1 folder.