Progressive Movements in Pakistan Collection
Total size 4 m.
Consultation Not restricted
Progressive movements, which emerged during the colonial rule of the former British India, split after the Partition in 1947 according to the division into India and Pakistan; together with these progressive movements nationalist forces in Balochistan and other provinces of the new state grew also stronger; in West Pakistan these movements rallied to the National Party in 1956; one of its constituent organizations was the Sindh Awami Mahaz of Ghulam M. Sayed; a merger with organizations from East Pakistan led to the formation of the National Awami Party (NAP) in 1957; constituting itself as the progressive alternative to the ruling Muslim League the NAP aimed at reforms and at a break of the alliance with the United States; in common with other political parties the NAP was banned after the coup d'état of Ayub Khan in 1958; in the 1960s the party revived and after the elections of 1970 the NAP participated in some provincial governments; in 1975 the NAP was again banned by the Bhutto government.
Documents, including photocopies and printed material relating to progressive movements in Pakistan collected by Ahmad Saleem of the Gohar Research Institute of Pakistan (GRIP) in Lahore. Documents relating to the NAP, consisting of proceedings of meetings, resolutions, some correspondence, circulars, press releases, reports and other documents (1952-) 1964-1968, 1970-1986; documents relating to the Communist Party of Pakistan (CCP) (1944-) 1976-1986, the Pakistan National Party (PNP) 1972-1986 and other political parties (1947-) 1969-1997; documents relating to trade unions, student and peasant organizations 1939-1940, 1966-1987, 1992; documents relating to nationalist movements in Balochistan, the North West Frontier Province and Sindh (1940-) 1966-1995; documents concerning colonial rule 1918, 1928-1947, Hindu-Muslim relations in Sindh 1947 and other subjects; photocopies of some files of conspiracy cases against communists 1922, 1924, 1927; some personal papers of Muhammad Kaswar Gardezi 1967-1973, Hyder Baksh Jatoi 1950-1958 (-1969), Ajmal Khattak 1973-1989 and others.
Newsletters, leaflets, copies of periodicals and some other documents relating to progressive parties, trade unions and to students', writers' and peasants' organizations 1983, 1986-1994 and 1999, n.d.; some documents relating to nationalist (regional) movements in Balochistan and the North West Frontier Province 1972, 1992 and n.d.; proceedings of the Rawalpindi conspiracy case 1951-1955; documents on the Bangladesh war of independence 1969-1971; texts of folk songs and stories, narrated by the women of muslim sweepers in the villages of the Punjab and transcribed by Ahmad Saleem; documents on other subjects 1917 and n.d.; some personal papers of Masood Khaddar Posh 1947-1951, 1958, 1960, 1972 and n.d. and of the poetess Sara Shagufta 1974-.
A series of chronological notes on the political history of Pakistan by Ahmad Saleem 1947-1969, 1971-1977; a series of documents relating to political parties and politicians collected by Ahmad Saleem, including his supplementary notes 1947-1969, 1971-1977; congress papers, manifesto's, leaflets, newsletters, copies of periodicals and other documents relating to the Communist Party of Pakistan (CPP) 1975, 1981-1988, 1999-2000, the East Pakistan Awami League 1966, 1969, the Kalat State National Party 1947, the Labour Party Pakistan 1998-2000, the Mazdoor Kisan Party (MKP) 1972-1975, the Communist Mazdoor Kisan Party (originated from a merger with the CPP) 1998-2000, the National Awami Party 1966-1970, the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), 1970-1974, 1987-1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, the Pakistan Socialist Party 1988-1999, the Young Peoples Front 1970-1973 and other political organizations; documents relating to trade unions, the student movement and the peasant movement; booklets, pamphlets and other printed material, including the secret `Punjab political Who's who' 1921 and a series of government intelligence reports on the 1947 massacres of Muslims (published in 1948); personal documents consisting of manuscripts of poems by Sara Shagufta, a manuscript by Iqbal Leghari on the history of the socialist movement in Pakistan, an autobiographical account by Fazal Ilahi Qurbun, some documents of Hyder Baksh Jatoi 1968-1969, documents of S.M. Jaffar, director of Archives of the North-West Frontier Province 1931, 1935-1974 and director of the Peshawar Museum, consisting of correspondence with historians, librarians and others 1964-1973; completed questionnaires and other documents.
A collection of documents about Meraj Muhammad Khan and his movement, custodian of these documents was Rosy Khan for a while (nos. 397-454).
List made by Ahmed Salim, Tiny de Boer, Jaap Haag and Bouwe Hijma in 1999, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2012
movements, which emerged during the colonial rule of the former British India,
split after the Partition in 1947 according to the division into India and
After the creation of Pakistan in 1947 the progressive and nationalist forces in Balochistan intensified their efforts to link up with forces in other provinces which sought progressive social change and an equitable federal system which would respect the autonomy of the provinces and historical rights of the nationalities inhabiting the territory of the new state. As a result of these efforts the National Party came into existence in West Pakistan in 1956-1957. It included the remnants of the Kalat National Party , the Asthman Gal of Prince Agha Abdul Karim and the Wrore Pukhtoon of Abdus Samad Achakzai from Balochistan, the Khudai Khidmatgar (Red Shirt) Movement of Abdul Ghafar Khan in the North-West Frontier Province (NWFP), the Sindh Awami Mahaz of G.M. Sayed and the Sindh Hari Committee of Haider Bux Jatoi in Sindh and the Azad Pakistan Party of Mian Iftikharuddin , based primarily in the Punjab. A few months later the Bhashani faction of the Awami League and Ganatantri Dal of Mahmud Ali and Sardar Fazlul Karim from East Pakistan (present Bangladesh) merged with the National Party to form the National Awami Party (NAP) in 1957.
The NAP became the only all Pakistan and the sole progressive alternative to the corrupt and reactionary Muslim League which had ruled the country for most part since the Independence. The NAP, which was opposed to Pakistan's alliance with the United States and wanted progressive reforms, was expected to perform well in the country's first general elections scheduled for early 1959. But these elections were prevented by Ayub Khan 's coup d'état in 1958 and all political parties were banned. When Ayub allowed political parties again in 1962, the NAP was revived with all of its old components except the G.M. Sayed group and Ganatantri Dal. At the end of 1967 the NAP split between Bhashani and Wali Khan factions, while the peasant wing of the party in the NWFP, led by Afzal Bangash, formed a separate Mazdoor Kisan Party (MKP). Bizenjo, Khair Bux Mari, Attaulah Mengal and the rest of the Balochistan party went with Wali Khan. In the 1970 general elections the NAP (Wali) emerged with the largest number of seats in the NWFP and Balochistan assemblies. With the separation of East Pakistan the Bhashani faction of the NAP ceased to exist in the truncated Pakistan and the Wali faction alone came to be known as NAP. It formed provincial governments in two of the four provinces, in coalition with the Jamiat-ul-Ulema-i-Islam of Mufti Mahmood. Bizenjo became the Governor and Mengal the Chief Minister of Balochistan. This Ministry was, however, dismissed arbitrarily by the people's party-led central government, and the NWFP government resigned in protest in 1973.
In 1975 the Bhutto government banned the NAP, arrested its leaders and subjected them to a sedition trial in a special tribunal.
The collection and its arrangement
collection Progressive Movements in Pakistan was received by the IISH in 1997
and 1998. The collection, which will be supplemented in the near future, has
been created by Ahmad Saleem of the Gohar
Research Institute of Pakistan (GRIP) in Lahore. It consists of a
great many documents, photocopies as well as originals, in Urdu, Sindhi and
English of political parties, workers' unions and movements of peasants,
students and (regional) nationalists. Furthermore some personal papers of
various persons are included. However, because of their quantity and the
accruals to be expected, the papers of G.M. Sayed have been described
separately. The arrangement and description of the documents, which has been
started by Ahmad Saleem in 1998, was completed in 1999.
A video tape has been transferred to the audiovisual section of the IIHS.
Communist Party of Pakistan (CPP)
and Communists by P.C. Josh i. Pamphlet.
1944. With A New Chapter
in Divide and Rule by R. Palme Dutt . Pamphlet.
1946. 1 cover.
NB. Communist Party of British India.
Mein Fauji Raj Awam Ki Zindgi Azab. Statement of comrade Jam Saqi
in the Military Court of Pakistan. Pamphlet. Issued by the
Communist Party Publications.
s. 1 volume.
NB. Published in India.
Pakistan National Awami Party
- Report submitted by the General Secretary at a meeting of the National Council of the NAP. Stencilled. 1965. 1 piece.
- Resolutions, adopted at meetings of the Central Working Committee. 1965-1967, 1973-1974, 1983. 1 cover.
- Correspondence by the General Secretariat of the NAP and/or by NAP leaders. 1952, 1955, 1965-1968, 1971-1974, 1977, 1985 and n.d. 1 cover.
Correspondence by Muhammad Kaswar Gardezi , General
Secretary and President of the NAP Punjab and President of the NAP.
1964-1965, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1979,
1986 and n.d. 1 cover.
NB. See alsno inv.no. 72
- List of names and addresses of the members of the Central Working Committee of the NAP and members of assemblies. N.d. 1 piece.
- Lists of names and addresses of the national council members of the NAP NWFP and of the Working Committee members Sarhad NAP. N.d. 1 cover.
- List of names and addresses of the members of the provincial and national assemblies and senators. N.d. 1 piece.
- List of names and addresses of office holders and executive members of the NAP (Punjab). N.d. 1 piece.
- Letter from G.M. Sayed to Moulana Bhashani regarding the relationship with the Awami League and the position of the NAP in East- and West Pakistan. With a telegram to Moulana Bhashani. 1958 and n.d. 1 cover.
Policy and party strife
- Text of a speech by NAP general secretary Ishaq Muhammad of the Mazdoor-Kisan group. 1968. 1 piece.
Lawsuits against members
- Written statement of Abdul Wali Khan , President of the NAP, detained in Sihala Camp Jail of Rawalpindi, filed in the Supreme Court of Pakistan on 13 th. June, 1975. 1 piece.
- Written statement on behalf of Jam Saqi , Joint Secretary of the NAP and member of the Central Working Committee of the underground CCP in the case against Abdul Wali Khan, former President of the NAP. 1975. 1 piece.
- Stencilled report by the NAP on the social, economic and political situation in Pakistan. 1965. 1 piece.
- Notes on the consequences of the separation of Karachi from Sindh with the establishment of Pakistan. N.d. 1 cover.
- Printed letters and speeches regarding the lifting of Martial Law by the Bhutto administration. 1972. 1 cover.
- `Situation Obtaining Today'. Article about the PPP government, written by a study group of the Sindh NAP. Stencilled. 18-1- 1973. 1 piece.
- Copies of articles, published in Democratic Pakistan on suppression by the Bhutto administration. 1974-1975 and n.d. 1 cover.
- Printed articles by Ajmal Khattak , former General Secretary. Published in Democratic Pakistan. N.d. 1 cover.
- Draft Constitution Protects not only Martial Law Dictators but also their Misdeeds: A Remedy Suggested. Pamphlet. Issued by Jabri Retired Employees Association. N.d. 1 piece.
- Could Mairaj Mohd Khan Be Made to Die as Prisoner. A Report on His State of Health. Pamphlet. Issued by Mairaj's Release Committee (Sindh). N.d. 1 piece.
Pakistan National Party (PNP)
- Documents concerning Mir Ghaus Bakhsh Bizenjo , President of the PNP . 1972-1973, 1975, 1984-1985 and n.d. 1 cover.
- Resolution on the political situation, adopted by the meeting of the Central Working Committee of the PNP, held at Lahore on 24-25th March 1983. 2 copies. 1 cover.
- Report of a meeting of the PNP Executive Committee on the Movement for Restoration of Democracy (MRD). N.d. Overleaf concept letter from Muhammad Kaswar Gardezi to the Chief Engineer of WAPDA - Multan. 1986. With a clipping. 1979. 1 folder.
- Proposals of the PNP regarding the status of the federating units, the quantum of their autonomy and the safeguards/guarantees thereof, presented to the Central Action Committee of the MRD at its meeting in Karachi on 29th March 1986. 1 cover.
Other political parties
- Zakhmi Punjab Ki Faryad (Cry of Wounded Punjab) by the secretary of the Punjab Communist Party . Lahore. Pamphlet. 1947. 1 piece.
- Draft manifesto, -report, -programme and -constitution of the Peoples National Party of Pakistan . 1953. 1 volume.
- Documents relating to the East Pakistan Committee of the National Democratic Front. 1960 s. 1 cover.
- Documents from Qazi Faiz Muhammad , Vice-President of the All Pakistan Awami League regarding the visit of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman , including some other documents. 1969 and n.d. 1 folder.
- Budget: Prices & People by Sardar Shaukat Ali . Pamphlet. Issued by the Pakistan Workers Party . 1973. 1 volume.
Typescript of an essay on the problems of left unity.
1980 s. 1 cover.
NB. Various progressive parties/persons of Pakistan.
- Documents relating to the Movement for Restoration of Democracy (MRD) . 1983-1986, 1988 and n.d. 1 folder.
Trade unions and other workers' organizations
- Special issue on Karl Marx and his contributions for workers of the monthly Wiplo alias Baghi. 1940. 1 folder.
- Report of a press conference by the Joint Labour Federation , the Pakistan Workers' Federation , the Pakistan Labour Organization , the United Workers' Federation and the Balochistan Labour Federation (Lahore) . 1985. 1 piece.
- Proceedings of the golden jubilee celebration of the Progressive Writers Association (Karachi) . 1986. 1 folder.
- Copies of Chingari , periodical of the Democratic Students Federation . 1981-1982 and n.d. 1 cover.
- Surkh Posh Kisan (Red Shirt Peasant) by Ram Saran Nigina . A first hand account about the 1939 peasant movement in Pashtun area of Ghalla Dher. Published in 1939. 1 volume.
- Documents concerning Ghulam Muhammed Leghari , general secretary of the Sindh Hari Committee. 1967 and n.d. 1 folder.
- `Communism and the Peasant Movement in Punjab Province' by Robert W. Gandre , Department of Political Science, Columbia University , New York City. Typescript of the essay. 1977. 1 cover.
- Printed correspondence with the Secretary General of the United Nations about Balochistan. 1974-1975. 1 cover.
- Copies of underground bulletins of the Political Wing of the Central Command of the Popular Front of Armed Resistence and exploitation in Balochistan (PFAR) . 1974-1975. 1 cover.
- Typescript of a (probably underground) report on the various tribes and tribal leaders of Balochistan. 1977. 1 cover.
- Copies of Jabal, underground periodical of the Balochistan People's Liberation Front (BPLF) . 1977. 1 cover.
- Text of the English translation of an interview given by Sardar Ataullah Mengal , former Chief Minister of Balochistan, to the monthly Nada-e-Balochistan. February 1981. 1 piece.
North West Frontier Province (NWFP)
- Documents concerning Aziz Ullah , Senior Vice-President of the Pashtoon Khawa Qaumi Party, Quetta (Balochistan). 1991. 1 cover.
- Letters from the Gujarati-Marathi Languages Protection Committee in Karachi regarding recognition of local languages. 1940. 1 cover.
- Save Sindh - Save the Continent (from Feudal Lords, Capitalists and their Communalisms) by Muhammed Ibrahim Joyo , Hon. Secretary of the Sindh Renaissance Association, Karachi. Book. Published in 1947. 1 volume.
- The Sindh Political Who's Who. Secret publication by the Government of Sindh, intended to give information about prominent politicians in Sindh. 1949. 1 piece.
- `Bezam Sofiai Sindh Jo Chohaan'. Announcement of the meeting by Ghulam Murteza . 18-19 November 1966. 1 piece.
- Memorandum of the writers and poets of Sindh from the Members Action Committee of Writers. 1969. 1 piece.
- Address of Pirzada Abdus Sattar at the Sindh One Unit Convention, held at Hyderabad. 1969. 1 piece.
- Documents relating to the Jiye Sindh Front Mahaz (Sindh United Front) . 1970-1972 and n.d. 1 cover.
- `Save Sindh Save Pakistan' by Sayed Ghulam Mustafa Shah , President of the Servants of Sindh Society. Typescript of the essay. 1980 s. 1 cover.
- Letter from Mumtaz Ali Bhutto , chairman of Sindh National Front to Sain G.M. Sayed. 1990. 1 piece.
- Documents concerning the international conference `Sindh & Sindhis at the Crossroads' organized by the World Sindhi Congress, held at London. 7-8 October 1995. 1 cover.
- Extracts from articles from newspapers and excerpts from pamphlets, etc. on which action was taken by the Punjab Government under the provisions of the Indian Press (Emergency Powers) Act of 1931. 1 cover.
- Some Features of Bureaucratic Administration in Sindh. Pamphlet. Published by the Sindh Publishing House, Hyderabad. 1918. 1 piece.
- Ploughing in Sindh. A brief account of the activities of the Dais Improvement Scheme during 1927 by R. Piggott, Hon. Sec. of the Dais Improvement Scheme. Pamphlet. 1928. 1 piece.
- Address by representatives of the districts of Balochistan to Freeman Freeman-Thomas , Earl of Willingdon, Viceroy and Governor-General of India. 1932. 1 piece.
- `Violations of human rights in Pakistan' by Amnesty International in London. Typescript of the report. 1985. 1 cover.
- Pillars of Pakistan. Can Democracy and Landlordism Function Together. A Talk Delivered by M. Masud . Pamphlet. Published by the Lahore Literary and Cultural Society. 1948. 1 volume.
- Papers of Hyder Baksh Jatoi , President of the Sindh Hari Committee. 1950, 1952, 1955-1958, 1962, 1967, 1969 and n.d. 1 folder.
- `Keemyaa-i-Siyasat' by Kaka Khushhaal Khan. Manuscript of a political commentary (edited by Rahmanullah Siddiqi). In Pashto. Unpublished. 1962. 1 folder.
of Muhammad Kaswar Gardezi.
1970, 1972-1973 and n.d. 1 cover.
NB. See also inv.no. 72
- Poems and notes by NAP general secretary Ajmal Khattak , written during his exile in Kabul, Afghanistan. 1973-1989. 1 volume.
- Handwritten manuscript by Kaka Khushhaal Khan about his political philosophy in question-answer form. Unpublished. N.d. 1 folder.
- Papers of Rao Mahroz Akhtar Khan , Senior Vice-President of the Awami National Party Pakistan. N.d. 1 cover.
- Letter from Aga Khan (London) to Sir Gulamhusein Hidayatulla KCSI regarding Seth Haroon and the cooperation between Hindus and Muslims. 1936. 1 piece.
N.B. In 1999 the IISH received an accrual to the collection Progressive Movements in Pakistan from Ahmad Salim. It consists of documents, photocopies as well as originals, in Urdu, Sindhi and English of political parties, workers' unions and movements of peasants, students and (regional) nationalists, of documents on conspiracy cases and of personal papers of various persons. Included are the proceedings of various conspiracy cases, which were not yet listed in the previous received part of the collection. Periodicals and photographs were transferred to the library and the audiovisual section of the IISH:, see this list: Weekly Naukin Daur (Balochi), Quetta. Published by Abdul Karim Shorish. 26 October 1967-10 May 1972. 2 volumes; Daily Zamindar, Lahore. 1920s, 1930s, 1949. 1 portfolio, partly in poor condition (see this list no. 219; Daily Inqilab, Lahore. 1927, 1930. 1 portfolio, also in poor condition (see this list no. 219); March Toward Freedom. History of the Freedom Struggle in Pictures. Collection of photographs published by Muktijuddha Smriti Trust, Dhaka. December 1995. 1 box. The size of the accrual is 0.6 m.
Communist Party of Pakistan (CPP)
Other political parties
Trade unions and other workers' organizations
- Newsletter Ustad. Organ of the Shah Latif Teachers' Association, Sindh. No. 7. November 1986. 1 copy.
- Press clippings on labour and trade union issues in Pashtun areas (NWFP). Published in dailies Mashriq, Wahdat, Jihad and The Frontier Post (all from Peshawar). In duplicate. 1988-1990. 1 folder.
Leaflet and some other documents, which were found in the volumes of the
Weekly Naukin Daur (Balochi) , Quetta.
NB. The volumes concerned were transferred to the IISH library.
- Proceedings of the National Conference of Intellectuals and Writers, held in Islamabad. 1994. 1 folder and 1 cover.
Bangladesh War of Independence
The Tribune, Lahore. Mainly on the Indian National Congress, held in Calcutta,
including Annie Besant's presidential address.
27-30 December 1917.
N.B. This periodical is kept at the IISH in a large format box under call number ZF 66998; in this box are also kept the Daily Zamindar, Lahore. 1920s, 1930s, 1949. 1 portfolio, partly in poor condition and the Daily Inqilab, Lahore. 1927, 1930. 1 portfolio, also in poor condition.
- Texts of folk songs and stories, narrated by the women of muslim sweepers in the villages of the Punjab. Transcriptions by Ahmad Salim . Recorded in 1972. N.d. 2 folders.
- Weekly The Friday Times . Pakistan's first independent paper. Special issue on the CIA report on heroin in Pakistan. 1990s. 1 copy.
N.B. In 2000 and 2001 the IISH received accruals to the collection Progressive Movements in Pakistan from Ahmad Salim. It consists of a series of chronological notes on the political history of Pakistan by Ahmad Salim 1947-1969, 1971-1977; a series of documents relating to political parties and politicians collected by Ahmad Salim, including his supplementary notes 1947-1969, 1971-1977; congress papers, manifesto's, leaflets, newsletters, copies of periodicals and other documents relating to the Communist Party of Pakistan (CPP) 1975, 1981-1988, 1999-2000, the East Pakistan Awami League 1966, 1969, the Kalat State National Party 1947, the Labour Party Pakistan 1998-2000, the Mazdoor Kisan Party (MKP) 1972-1975, the Communist Mazdoor Kisan Party (originated from a merger with the CPP) 1998-2000, the National Awami Party 1966-1970, the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), 1970-1974, 1987-1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, the Pakistan Socialist Party 1988-1999, the Young Peoples Front 1970-1973 and other political organizations; documents relating to trade unions, labour movements (see also trade unions) the student movement and the peasant movement; booklets, pamphlets and other printed material, including the secret ‘Punjab political Who's who' 1921 and a series of government intelligence reports on the 1947 massacres of Muslims (published in 1948); personal documents consisting of manuscripts of poems by Sara Shagufta, a manuscript by Iqbal Leghari on the history of the socialist movement in Pakistan, an autobiographical account by Fazal Ilahi Qurbun, some documents of Hyder Baksh Jatoi 1968-1969, documents of S.M. Jaffar, director of Archives of the North-West Frontier Province 1931, 1935-1974 and director of the Peshawar Museum, consisting of correspondence with historians, librarians and others 1964-1973; completed questionnaires and other documents. The size of the accrual is 1.9 m; during the description process some materials were transferred to the library and audiovisual department of the IISH: Pakistan Labour Cases; Dialogue; Monthly Manshoor (Airways Employees Union) and Weekly Nusrat (PPP) organ.
Communist Party of Pakistan (CPP)
- Pamphlet Apni Ada Dekh (A Critique of the Socialist Party), 1980s; Pamphlet Siyase Soorat-i-Haal (Political Situation). May 1987. 1 cover.
- Aayeen (Constitution). Pamphlet. 1999?; Laai Tajweez Thial Dastavez (Sindhi). Draft document for the congress. Pamphlet. 1999; Yaum-E-May, Lahore. Pamphlet. 2000. 1 cover.
Communist Mazdoor Kisan Party (CMKP)
Dastavez. Pamphlet. November
Membership form. N.d. ;
Maj Ishaque Hai Zindagi Ka Nishan. 2000 ;
Leaflets. N.d. 1 cover.
Labour Party Pakistan
- Draft manifesto and constitution. 1998; Taaruf, Aayee Labour Party Mein Shaamil Hqan (Introduction/call). N.d. 1 cover.
Pamphlet Jaddojehad Kay 140 Saal (International Women Day), Lahore. 1998;
Pamphlet Labour Party Pakistan-Ta'aruf (Introduction), Lahore. 2000?;
Pamphlet Pakistan Baanain Baazoo Kay Mukhtalif Rujhan Aur Labour Party Pakistan (Labour Party Pakistan and different attitudes of Pakistan left wing), Lahore. 2000;
Aayiai Labour Party Mein Shaamil Hoan (Let us join Labour Party). N.d. 1 cover.
(Pakistan) Mazdoor Kisan Party (MKP)
- Manshoor (Manifesto), Karachi. June 1972; Nazarria Aur Amal (Theory and Practice), Faisalabad. N.d. 1 cover.
Pakistan National Awami Party
- Amriki Samraj Say Ta'alluqat Khatm Karo Lahore. Resolution passed by NAP Rawalpindi. July 1966; Awam Aur Gole Mez conference, Lahore. March 1969. 1 cover.
- Election Manifesto (Pushto). The Sarhad National Awami Party Parliamentary Board, Peshawar. August 1970; Amn, Azadi, jamhooriat, Khush'hali, Socialism, Pakistan National Awami Party, Karachi. 1972. 1 cover.
Pakistan National Party (PNP)
Pakistan People's Party (PPP)
- Awami Sadr, Awami Taqreeb, Islamabad. April 1972; Bhutto Daur-I-Hukoomat Aur Muqaddama Kay Haqaiq by the National Committee, Karachi. 1 cover.
- Manifestos. 1970, 1990; Report on the visit of Prime Minister Mr. Zulfikar Ali Bhutto to Bangladesh. 1974; Pakistan's Socio-Economic Challenges: An agenda op response for the Pakistan People's Party, lecture by Omar Noman. Photocopy of the typescript. 1992. 1 cover.
Series 1, 2 and 5. 1988;
Communist Aur Hindustan Ka Inqilab (Communist and the Indian Revolution). April 1990;
Socialist Inqilab Aur Pakistan, Part 2 (Socialist Revolution and Pakistan). July 1987; Socialist Inqilab Aur Pakistan (Socialist Revolution and Pakistan), 3rd edition. January 1994. 1 folder.
- Writ Petition before the Peshawar High Court in Peshawar: Aftab Ahmad Khan Sherpao, Chief Minister of the PPP, versus the Governor of N.W.F.P. and others. 1990. 1 folder.
Pakistan Socialist Party
Other political parties
- Riasat Kalat Ka Aayeen (Constitution of Kalat State). Manuscript of the Kalat State National Party. 1947. Unpublished. NB. 1 piece.
- Booklets and pamphlets on the labour movement in Pakistan. In Urdu. 1969, 1974-1975, 1984, 1987, 1999 and n.d. 1 folder.
- Text of an agreement between the Railway Workers Union and the Railway Administration. Handwritten. 1977. 1 piece.
- Copies of Mehnatkash (Newsletter) and circular no. 1 of the Balochistan Labour Federation. 1987-1988. 1 cover.
- Pamphlets on the labour movement in Pakistan. Published by the Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research. 1995. 1 cover.
Pamphlet of Jeddojuhd Inqilabi Tehriek (JIT).
Report of the JIT conference. 1997 ;
Taaruf (Introduction). N.d ;
Newsletter of JIT Khabar Nama. No. 8. September 1997 ;
Awami Ittehad. 1996. 1 cover.
- Pamphlets by the Women's Workers Centre Karachi, Pakistan Fikri Mahaz Karachi, IUF-UITRA-IUL, Pakistan Socialist Party and Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research (PILER). 1997 and n.d. 1 cover.
- Yaum-I-May. Kal Aur Aaj (May Day.Yesterday and Today). Pamphlet by the Labour Party Pakistan. May 1998. 1 piece.
- Press conference of the All Pakistan Trade Union Federation Balochistan, Quetta. N.d.; Intikhab Railway Workers Union. Supporters and CBA workshops. 1999. 1 cover.
- Trade Union Kiya Hai? Educational booklet of the All Pakistan Federations of Trade Unions. N.d. 1 copy.
Pakistan Mein Zarrai Sawal Aur Uss Ka Hall (Agrarian Question in Pakistan and
its Solution) by the United Socialist Party, Lahore. Pamphlet.
Kisan Tehrik Kay Masail, Lahore. Pamphlet. N.d. ;
Leaflet by the Arakeen Zarrai Islahat Forum (Agrarian Reforms Forum), Karachi. N.d.; Circulars of the Kisan Committee, Lahore. 1964, 1967 ;
Proceedings of the Punjab Kisan Conference by the West Pakistan Kisan Committee, Lahore. 1965. 1 cover.
Periodicals and leaflets of: Yaum-I-May Aur Tulba (May Day and students) of
the Socialist Students Organisation, Lahore.
Shoala-I-Javed.Organ of the National Students Federation (NSF) Pakistan. N.d. ;
Faiz Aman Mela (Faiz Peace Festival) of the National Youth League Pakistan, Lahore. N.d. ;
Chingari. Organ of the Demoratic Student Federation (DSF). N.d. 1 cover.
Trade unions and other workers' organizations
- Khabarnama (Newsletter) of Mazdoor Markaz, Lahore. Special issue on Faiz Ahmad Faiz. 1984. 1 copy.
Bangladesh War of Independence
- The Origins of the Communist Party of Pakistan by Iqbal Leghari. Typescript of the book. N.d. 2 folders.
Fazal Ilahi Qurbun
- Notes and documents concerning the political history, collected and compiled by Ahmad Salim. Chronologically arranged. 1947-1969, 1971-1977. 2 folders and 1 box.
- Notes and documents on political personalities of Pakistan, briefed by Ahmad Salim. 1947-1969. 2 folders.
- Papers and documents, collected and compiled by Ahmad Salim. 1947-1958, 1962-1969, 1971-1977. 1 box.
mystic world of the poetess princess'. Printed article by Ahmad Salim,
published in The News, including some other newspapers in Urdu.
and n.d. 1 folder.
NB. Partly in poor condition.
- Life and Teachings of Karl Marx. Pamphlet of the Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin Series No. 5, Indian edition. November 1943. 1 copy.
- Various booklets and pamphlets on progressive themes by different progressive organisations and publishers about ideology, literature, history, Marx, Lenin, Soviet Union and Vietnam. 1961, 1963, 1984, 1986, 1992, 1995, 2000 and n.d.? 2 folders and 1 cover.
- ‘Raza's Paper for Symposium on Crisis in Socialism', Karachi. Printed. 16th August 1991. 1 piece.
- ‘Yahan se shahr ko dekho'. An Urdu play by Khalid Ahmad. Leaflet of the Goethe-Institut in Lahore. 1993. 1 piece.
- Role of the Informal Sector. Economic, cultural, social, political and legal dimensions. Book by the Goethe-Institut, Karachi. 1998. 1 copy.
- Media-Government Relations. A Collection of Essays on Jang-Government Row. Book by JRC Publications. 1999. 1 copy.
- Copies of various periodicals. In Urdu. 1974-1975, 1983, 1988, 1993, 1999-2000 and n.d. 1 folder.
- Gilgit Baltistan Mirpur Azad Kashmir. Pamphlet. N.d; Jaagirdari Nizam Say Azadi Tehrik-i-Awam Lahore. Pamphlet. N.d.; Issues of Awami Jamhooriat. January and April 2000. 1 cover.
- Leaflets on the relation between population and political parties (Awami Fikri Mahaz): Teesri Dunya, Ghair Jaanibdar Dunya. Karachi. N.d; Asli Tabqati Dushmanon Ko Pehchano. Karachi. N.d. 1 cover.
N.B. In 2003 the IISH received an accrual to the collection from Ahmed Salim. It mainly consists of documents from political parties, student movements and trade union movements. The size of the accrual is 0.05 m.
National Awami Party Pakistan
Pakistan Peoples Party
- Resolutions of the Central Information Bureau of the PPP, Islamabad. 28-29 October 1978. 1 piece.
- Papers of the Railway Carriage Factory Union, Rawalpindi-Islamabad. Photocopies. 2000-2001. 1 cover.
- Pakistan Mein Mazdoor Tehrik Kay Pachas Saal. Unpublished paper by Usman Baloch and Pakistan Mein Trade Union Tehrik Part 2. Photocopies. N.d. 1 cover.
- Pamphlet of the Pakistan WAPDA Hydro Electric Central Labour Union, Lahore (WAPDA Kay Mehwat Kashon Ki Jadd-O-Jehad), ‘Pak Workers' leaflet of the All-Pakistan Federation of Trade Unions, Lahore and periodical of Yakum May Mazdooron Ka Aalmi Din (Pakistan Socialist Party), Faisalabad. N.d. 1 cover.
Accrual 2012 (a collection of documents, nos. 397-454) about Meraj Muhammad Khan and his movement, temporarily kept by Rosy Khan), in fact arrived in 2007
N.B. Meraj Muhammad Khan, born 20 October 1938, political leader; founding member of the Pakistan People's Party (PPP) of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto; Federal Minister of Manpower in the first PPP government 1972-1975; arrested and imprisoned in solitary confinement after falling out with Bhutto 1975; released 1977; leader of the Movement for Restoration and Democracy and a prominent democratic activist and leftist leader in the 1980s.
- Pakistan Qaumi Mahaz-E-Azadi. Invitations for meetings, Statements of Allegations, Constitution of Coordinating Committee. 1984-1986. 1 cover.
Statements and pamphlets
Employees Social Security Institutions Monthly Tahafaz.
N.d. 1 cover.
N.B. Large format.