Poncke Princen Papers
Total size 5.37 m.
Consultation Not restricted
Full name: Johannes Cornelis Princen ( Jan , although better known as Poncke ); born in The Hague, the Netherlands 1925, died Jakarta 2002; educated at the Roman Catholic preparatory seminary in Weert 1939-1943; caught by the Germans when he attempted to escape his occupied country 1943; joined the Dutch shock troops immediately after the liberation in 1944; sent to Indonesia as a conscript, where the Dutch tried to restore their colonial rule 1946; deserted to the Indonesian army 1948; worked at the Indonesian Immigration Office 1950-1953; member of the Indonesian national parliament 1956; arrested and imprisoned twice because of his critical attitude towards the Sukarno government 1957-1958, 1962-1966; director of the Lembaga Pembela Hak-Hak Azasi Manusia (LPHAM) , ( Indonesian Institute for the Defence of Human Rights ) in Jakarta from 1966; correspondent for Dutch media 1966-1970; after anti-Japanese demonstrations (the Malari Affair) again arrested and imprisoned 1974-1976; after his release, involved in the defence of opponents to the Suharto regime and in the support of the people of Aceh and East Timor.
Correspondence with Kees Princen 1989-1996 and other family members 1944-1973; diary 1947; personal documents 1961, 1963, 1990s; letters and other documents on his 70th birthday 1995; biographical documents, including reports and notes 1987-1992; files on his support of the opposition in East Timor 1982-1993; on the activities of the LPHAM 1987-1990; on his trade union activities, including correspondence with the ILO 1990-1995; on politics and political parties in Indonesia 1991-1996 and files concerning Indonesian political prisoners and ex-tapols 1993; on the death of Poncke Princen 2002.
Part of his papers (0.25 m) were received by the IISH in 1997 from his brother Kees Princen , who also gave his own papers including his correspondence with Poncke Princen . In 1998 the IISH received the main part of the papers from Princen.
Inventory by Tiny de Boer in 2009.
Johannes Cornelis Princen (November 21, 1925, The Hague - February 22, 2002, Jakarta), better known as Poncke Princen . The name Poncke dates from his time in German captivity. He then encouraged his fellow prisoners by reading them from the book Pastoor Poncke from the author Jan H. Eekhout , a regional novel with as main character a social and an against corruption struggling priest. Jan Princen received this nick name from his fellow prisoners, considering it as a name of honour. He went to the seminary of the Fathers of the Holy Spirit in Weert just as his brother Kees . He deserted in 1948 as service requirement soldier from the Dutch army during the so-called police actions and chose the side of the Indonesians. He converted to Islam in the 1950s. Princen became a prominent human rights activist in Indonesia and remained highly controversial in the Netherlands due to his desertion. His brother Kees Princen defended his interests in the Netherlands, as can be seen in the very extensive correspondence between the two brothers. See also Kees Princen 's papers at the IISH and Poncke Princen 's lifestory drawn by Joyce van Fenema : Poncke Princen. Een kwestie van kiezen . Part of his papers (0.25 m) were received by the IISH in 1997 from his brother Kees Princen , who also gave his own papers including his correspondence with Poncke Princen . In 1998 the IISH received the main part of the papers from Princen.
poems, lists of authors and notes on read books, history and peoples of the
Dutch East Indies.
1946-1948 and n.d.
NB. In poor condition.
1940, 1944, 1948-1949, 1951, 1956-1958,
1962-1966, 1971-1973, 1976, 1980-1981, 1988-1996 and n.d.
1 box, 4 folders and 10 covers.
(and family). Partly photocopies. 1951, 1957-1958, 1963,
1987-1996 and n.d.
1973, 1975, 1980-1981, 1988-1996 and n.d.
3 boxes and 3 folders.
NB. See also LPHAM correspondence.
- Documents concerning financial support from the ' Comité Vrienden van Poncke Princen ' for medical operations. 1993. 1 cover.
- Documents concerning his visa applications and family visit to the Netherlands. 1993-1995. 1 cover.
Writings and publications
Typescripts by Princen
- Typescripts and manuscripts of poems by Princen . In Dutch, English and Indonesian. , 1974, 1988-1990, 1992, 1994-1996 and n.d. 1 folder.
- Typescripts of poems by several poets. Translated by Princen into Indonesian and English. 1992, 1994 and n.d. 1 cover.
- Documents concerning the summary proceedings of publisher Jan Mets against Princen and others regarding the writing of a biography on Princen. 1995. 1 cover.
Works on Princen
- Typescripts of biographies on Princen by Hanna Rambe , Peter Schumacher and Joyce van Fenema . Photocopies. With corrections by Princen and authors (?). In Indonesian. 1989, 1995 and n.d. 2 folders.
1993-1996. 1 box and 1 folder.
N.B. See also general correspondence.
- Photocopies of outgoing letters. 1988-1996 and n.d. 2 boxes and 3 folders.
1989-1996 and n.d. 2 folders.
NB. Mainly reduced legible.
Files on cases.
1975, 1980-1996 and n.d. 6 boxes, 4 folders and 9 covers.
- Defence cases. 1980-1981, 1986, 1988-1990 and n.d.
- East Timor. 1975, 1982-1983, 1986-1996 and n.d.
- Human rights cases. Alphabetically arranged. 1990-1996 and n.d.
Files on organisations.
1972, 1980-1996 and n.d. 5 boxes, 10 folders and 40 covers.
- Bank Rakyat Indonesia , Bima. 1991, 1993-1994 and n.d.
- Council of Representatives of the People, Faction of Development ( Dewan Perwakilan Rakyat Republik Indonesia) (DPR-RI), (Fraksi Karya Pembangunan) . 1989-1990.
- Free Trade Union 'Faithful Friends' ( Serikat Buruh Merdeka Solidaritas 'Setia Kawan') ( SBMS) . 1988, 1990-1995 and n.d. (box).
- Indonesian Association for Social Justice ( Perkumpulan Indonesia untuk Keadilan Sosial ). 1992-1993.
- Indonesian Community for Democracy and Humanity ( Masyarakat Indonesia untuk Demokrasi & Kemanusiaan) (MIDKA) . 1994.
- Indonesian Legal Aid Foundation ( Yayasan Lembaga Bantuan Hukum Indonesia) (YLBHI) . 1989, 1991-1996 and n.d.
- Outline Policy ( Garis-Garis Besar Haluan Negara) (GBHN) . 1980, 1990-1991, 1993 and n.d. (folder).
- People's Solidarity Committee against Violence ( Komite Solidaritas Rakyat Anti Kekerasan ). 1993.
- Petition 50 (Working Group) ( Kelompok Kerja Petisi 50/Pernyataan Keprihatinan ). 1972, 1980-1981, 1984, 1986-1996 and n.d.
- Protection of the Rights of Political People ( Badan Perlindungan Hak-Hak Politik Rakyat) (BPHPR) . 1991-1997 and n.d.
- Student Press at the National University ( Lembaga Pers Mahasiswa Universitas Nasional) (LPM-UNAS) (discussions on human rights). 1988 and n.d.
- Students Committee for the Decrease of Electricity Rates ( Komitee Mahasiswa Penurunan Tarif Listrik) (KMPTL) . 1989.
- Ties that Support the Independence of Indonesia ( Ikatan Pendukung Kemerdekaan Indonesia) (IP-KI) . 1993-1994, 1996.
- Files on persons. Alphabetically arranged. 1977-1981, 1983-1985, 1987-1996. 2 boxes.
Files on subjects.
1940, 1966, 1971, 1978, 1984, 1987-1995 and n.d.
1 box, 8 folders and 26 covers.
- Political prisoners, including lists. 1984, 1989-1990, 1994 and n.d.
- Student demonstrations at the Institut Teknologi (ITB) in Bandung. 1978, 1989-1990.
- Documents concerning the activities of LPHAM relating to 50 years of the Republic Indonesia. 1995. 1 cover.
- Documents concerning (attended) meetings, congresses, seminars and symposia. 1989-1990, 1992-1995 and n.d. 1 box and 2 folders.
- Printed articles and newspaper clippings on Princen . 1949, 1956, 1969, 1975, 1986, 1988-1996, 1998 and n.d. 3 folders.
- Clippings of cartoons concerning Princen and the colonial inheritance. Partly photocopies. 1994-1995 and n.d. 1 cover.
East-Timor and Indonesia
- Printed articles and newspaper clippings on the Dutch military operations in Indonesia. 1988, 1993-1995 and n.d. 1 cover.
Karel de Wijk
NB. Former captain.
- Letter from J.W. de Vletter ( Stichting Poncke Princen Foundation for Human Rights ) to Wilfried Derksen ( D'66 ). Photocopy. 1998. 1 piece.