Social and political movements in the Philippines Collection
Total size 3.37 m.
Consultation Not restricted
After president Marcos declared Martial Law in 1972 (lifted in 1982) many individuals and groups joined revolutionary underground movements; from the mid-1970s until the 1986 Presidential Snap Elections, peoples movements were organised to struggle against repression and to establish democracy; after 1986 onwards during the democratisation period many non-governmental organisations were established on various social and political issues, a.o. the violation of human rights during the Aquino government from 1986-1992; from the early 1990s many political groups split up and after the latter part of the 1990s the economic crisis and the resulting impoverishment were main issues.
Documentation concerning the political background, political movements, anti-Marcos dictatorship, elections, labour, trade unions, peasants, overseas workers, indigenous people, women, religious movements, social movements, culture, environmentalism, actions against American bases and nuclear arms 1972-2002.
List made by Anna Liza Magno in 2001
PRELIMINARY LIST 2
1. General Information
2. Economy and Labour
2.1. Economy and Debt
2.2. Development and Environment
2.3. Peasants and Fishers
2.4. Labour and Trade Unions
2.5. Overseas Workers
4. Social Movements
4.1. Indigenous Peoples
4.2. Women 6
4.4. Church 7
4.5. Anti-American Bases
4.6. Anti-Nuclear Arms
5. Political Movements
5.1. Anti-Marcos Dictatorship
5.2. Human Rights Cases Under Aquino
5.3. Electoral Politics
5.4. International Solidarities
5.5. Mindanao Crises
The IISH collection on the Philippine Social and Political Movements covers the period between 1972 and 2002. The last thirty years was an important period in the contemporary social history of the Philippines. Very little documentation was available during the Martial Law period from 1972 to 1982 because of security procedures. Materials from overseas groups such as the Alliance for Philippine Concerns and the Coalition Against the Marcos Dictatorship in California and the Anti-Martial Law Coalition in Vancouver, Canada provided an oversight during this period. Documentation available from the mid-1970s till the 1986 Presidential Snap Elections was from workers, peasants, church, and women's movements organised to struggle against repression and to establish democracy. There was a flux of documentation from various non-governmental organisations on social and political issues from 1986 onwards during the democratisation period. Notable was the big collection on human rights abuses from 1986-1992. From the early 1990s was a documentation on the split of left organisations over ideological and tactical differences. The most recent addition was materials from the EDSA II and III that ousted President Estrada in 2001.
While the IISH solicited materials from individuals and groups in the Philippines and the United States of America, the bigger part of the collection was from the Gruppe Schweiz-Philippinen (GSP), a Swiss-based solidarity group who culminated its work and donated its organisational archive to the 'Schweizerisches Sozialarchiv' in Zürich who in turn, mediated for the donation of the periodical and documentation collection to the IISH.
This collection is preliminary and is expected to grow over the next few years.
The size of the arranged part of the collection is 3.25 m.
1. General Information
- Articles and documents on the situation of the Philippines, 1976-1983. (English and German). 3 covers.
- Articles and documents on the situation of the Philippines, 1984-1985; urban poor and slum situationers, 1977-1986. (English and German). 3 covers.
- Articles, analyses, campaign documents on the post-Marcos, Aquino era, and oppositional positions, 1986. 3 covers.
- Articles and documents on the situation of the Philippines on the first year of the Ramos government, 1992-1993. 2 covers.
2. Economy and Labour
2.1 Economy and Debt
- Economic situationers under Marcos and Aquino; comments on the draft medium term Philippine development plan of 1993-1998 under Ramos; article on the Power Development: Issues and Options for Mindanao, 2000. 4 covers.
- Studies on economic alternatives; political economy of policy-making IMF-WB; Japan's economic interest in the Philippines, 1982-1987. 4 covers.
- Articles and petitions on the resistance against Del Monte expansion in Mindanao, 1981-1988. 1 cover.
- Articles and petitions on the resistance against Del Monte expansion in Mindanao, 1981-1988. 2 covers.
2.2. Development and Environment
- Various articles and documents on ecology, forestry, logging, energy, science and technology, 1986-1991. 4 covers.
- Project documents and articles on disaster and rehabilitation in the Cordillera, 1990; Pinatubo, 1991; Mindanao, 1998. 3 covers.
- Organisational information and materials of groups on development and environment issues, 1984-1993. 8 covers.
- Health facts and situation; materials on breastfeeding campaign; information on health workers and health organisations, 1982-1989. 4 covers.
2.3. Peasants and Fishers
- Documents of the Philippine Agrarian Reform Program under the New Society under Marcos,1974; the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program under Aquino, 1986. 2 covers.
- Articles and studies on the rice crises, land ownership in the Philippines, land reform proposals of peasant movements, statement on House Bill 400 of the Congress for a People's Agrarian Reform, and the Peoples' Agrarian Reform Code, 1984-1988. 5 covers.
- Organisational materials of the Alyansa ng Magsasaka sa Gitnang Luzon (AMGL) , Kilusang Magsasaka ng Pilipinas (KMP) ; articles on the 1987 Mendiola peasant massacre; information and studies of the Philippine Peasant Institute (PPI) and other peasant support groups, 1985-1987. 5 covers.
- Various articles and fact sheets on Negros Island, 1986, n.d.; sugar industry profiles, 1974- 1989; sacadas of the sugarland, 1969; Negros in German, n.d. 4 covers.
- Various articles and pamphlets on the sugar crises, 1985; documents from legal and underground organisations on the political analysis of the crises, 1986; documents, letters, press releases on human rights violations in Negros, 1985-1988; reports, fact sheets, statements and appeals on the Escalante massacre, 1985. 4 covers.
- Various articles, pamphlets, correspondences on the sugar workers strikes, 1980-1982; documents, reports, pamphlets of the National Federation of Sugar Workers, 1984-1989; seminar program, correspondences and reports on the International Seminar for Sugar Workers of the Asia-Pacific Region, 1986; resolutions of the International Commission for the Co-ordination of Solidarity Among Sugar Workers, 1988. 4 covers.
- Reference materials for an exposure programme in Negros, 1985; documents on responses and rehabilitation projects, 1986-1990. 2 covers.
2.4 Labour and Trade Unions
- Situationer on labour in the Philippines, 1985-1987; articles on trade union movement in the Philippines; union organising and education; conference materials on trade union struggle in the Philippines, 1986. 4 covers.
- Reports of militarisation and repression on trade unions during Marcos, pre-1986; and during Aquino, 1986-1988. 2 covers.
- Labour position papers; information on labour centres and groups; reports on export processing zones, 1977-2001. 2 covers.
- KMU constitution, structure, and programme; KMU in German; KMU correspondence, documents, petitions, and campaigns, 1980-1985. 3 covers.
- Research study on the Chinese business and the KMU (in German); articles and statements on Crispin Beltran's arrest in 1986; murder of Lando Olalia in 1987; documents of the KMU cases against the Government of the republic of the Philippines to the International Labour Organisation in 1988, 1990. 4 covers.
2.5 Overseas workers
- Documents and correspondence on the campaign to repeal Executive Order 857 or the Remittance of Overseas Workers Law, 1982-1985; overseas Filipino peace campaign, 1986-1987; overseas Filipinos advocacy visit to the Philippines and appeal for absentee voting, 2001. 3 covers.
- Documents and correspondence of overseas Filipino organisations that include the Swiss-Filipino organisations; Maharlika organisation in Hong Kong; and the Commission for Filipino Migrant Workers in Amsterdam. Also include support organisations based in the Philippines as the Koalisyon: Coalition for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights and Welfare of Overseas Filipinos, Kaibigan: Friends of Filipino Migrant Workers, Kaisahan: Unity of Overseas Filipinos, KAKAMMPI: Organisation of Filipino Migrant Workers and their Families, Episcopal Commission on Migration and Tourism, 1985-1998. 8 covers.
- Articles on Philippine Culture: Ideology and Transformation, The Politics of Culture: the Philippine Experience; Parliament of the Streets: a Strategy for a Cultural Invasion; Peoples' Art and Literature; various flyers on Politics, Art, and Culture (in German); information materials on peoples' cultural groups; articles and flyers on progressive films, 1978-1989. 4 covers.
- Articles and interviews on alternative music and musicians; flyers and information materials on the European concert tour of Filipino alternative musicians; selection of lyrics and music scores; varied revolutionary prose and poetry, 1979-1998. 4 covers.
- Organisational information and varied articles, documentation, flyers, programme on peoples' theatre in Mindanao, 1976-1989. 5 covers.
- Organisational information on the Federation of Concerned Artists of Negros; theatre piece on Negros (in German), 1988-1990; varied articles, correspondence, flyers on the Negros sugar crises campaign in Europe, 1990. (English and German). 3 covers.
- Varied organisational information, articles, list of publications of the Philippine Educational Theater Association (PETA), 1985-1986; publicity materials for the production DH, 1993. 2 covers.
4. Social Movements
4.1 Indigenous Peoples
- Varied information materials on ethnic groups in the Philippines, a study on Total War and its Effects on People's Indigenous Communities (English, German, Italian); organisational documents of the Consultative Assembly of the Minority Peoples of the Philippines (CAMPP); background information on the Dumagats, Negritos, Mangyans, Tasadays of Luzon and the Lumads in Mindanao 1983-1998. 4 covers.
- Varied information materials on the Cordilleras, corporate incursions in indigenous peoples' lands; fact sheets and petition letters on human rights violations, 1980-1993. 2 covers.
- Various articles and documents on women's situation, movement, biographies; Filipinas in Europe; International Decade of Women, 1976-1985. 5 covers.
- Various studies and articles on rural women; women in the informal sector; women workers; women and transnational corporations; and women and debt, 1980-1984. 5 covers.
- Various studies, articles, and reports on women and militarisation; violence against women; and prostitution and sex work, 1985-1991. 3 covers.
- Various articles, studies and flyers on Philippine education, popular education, nationalist agenda for Philipppine education, human rights education program; institutional information of the Nationalist Reading Room, Education Forum, and the Alternate Resource Center, 1986-1992. 7 covers.
- Organisational documents, statements, flyers, and correspondence of youth and student groups as Anakbayan, League of Filipino Students, National Union of Students in the Philippines, Kabataan para sa Demokrasya at Nasyonalismo, College Editors Guild of the Philippines, and Philippine Youth and Students for International Concerns and Studies; and teachers as Alliance of Concerned Teachers, Teacher Center of the Philippines, and Davao Association of Colleges and Schools; summing-up report of the organising experiences of teachers and discussion papers on education, 1981-2000. 5 covers.
- Various articles on the situation of the church in the Philippines under Martial Law, 1974-1985; and during Aquino, 1987-1988. 2 covers.
- Various articles, documents, and statements on Liberation Theology, Basic Christian Communities, Mindanao Churches, and fanatical church groups, 1974-1989. 4 covers.
- Various organisation materials, articles, and statements of different church groups as Ausculta, Association of Major religious Superiors in the Philippines, and Bishops Businessmen's Conference for Human Development, Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines, 1985-1989. 4 covers.
- Various organisation materials, articles, and statements of different church groups as Christians for the realization of a Sovereign Society, Church-based Consumers' Movement, Church Labor Committee, Church Data Center, Church Office for International Relations and News Analysis Network, Church Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines, Church Unity Congress, and Diocesan Clergy of Mindanao-Sulu, 1983-1990. 8 covers.
- Various organisation materials, articles, and statements of different church groups as Ecumenical Movement for Justice and Peace, Ecumenical Center for Development, Ecumenical Partnership for International Concerns, Inter-church Center for Development, Mindanao Ecumenical Union of Seminarians, Monsignor Aglipay-Don Belong Labor Center, Mindanao Interfaith Peoples' Conference Secretariat, Northern Luzon Ecumenical Forum for Church Response, National Ecumenical Forum for Church Response, National Ecumenical Conference on the Philippines, National Council of Churches in the Philippines, and National Organisation of Women Religious of the Philippines, 1982-1994. 12 covers.
- Various organisation materials, articles, and statements of different church groups as Promotion of Church Peoples' Rights, Philippine International Forum, Philippine Conference for Human Rights, Peoples' Power for Enlightenment and Commitment to Sovereignty and Truth, Renewal in Education towards Christian Enlightenment for National Transformation, Rural Missionaries in the Philippines, 1985-1995. 6 covers.
- Various organisation materials, articles, and statements of different church groups as Student Christian Movement of the Philippines, Socio-Pastoral Institute, Sisters' Association in Mindanao, Theologians for Renewal Unity and Social Transformation, Urban Missionaries, US Missionaries in the Philippines, Union of Catholic Asian News, and United Church of Christ in the Philippines, 1985-1990. 8 covers.
4.5 Anti-American Bases
- Various documents, articles, and manifestos on the US Policy and the anti-imperialist movements, 1980-1991. 2 covers.
- Various articles and position papers on the US Bases negotiation in the Philippines, 1985-1989. 3 covers.
- Various US reports and documents on the Philippines, 1982-1985; document of the Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and security Between the Government of the Philippines and the Government of the United States of America, 1991. 2 covers.
4.6 Anti-Nuclear Arms
- Manifesto for a nuclear-free Philippines, 1972; various studies, articles, and position papers on the arms race and nuclear weapons and the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant, 1985-1986; documents from the Asia-Pacific Peoples' Conference on Peace and Development, 1988. 4 covers.
5. Political movements
5.1 Anti-Marcos Dictatorship
- Various reports, documents, statements, and flyers against the Marcos Dictatorship, 1971-1985. 2 covers.
- Case documents of the arrest and detention of Volker Schmid in Davao, 1983. (English and German); statements and analysis of the Aquino assassination, 1983; human rights situation reports and documentation, 1985. 1 cover.
- Various documents on the campaign against political repression, 1984-1985; reports of military operations, 1985; human rights data statistics, 1985. 3 covers.
- Fact finding mission reports and documentation on human rights violations in Northern Luzon, Central Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao, 1985. 3 covers.
- Submission to the UNCHR Sub-commission on the Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities of Citizens of the Philippines versus Marcos, 1985; news articles on the Marcos gold, 1997; judgement by the Federal Supreme Court, 1997. 3 covers.
- Various documents of the Claimants 1081, Inc. class suit against the Marcos dictatorship, 1995-1998. 2 covers.
- Various documents of the litigation on Claimants 1081, Inc. class suit against the Marcos dictatorship, 1995-1998. 1 cover.
5.2. Human Rights Cases Under Aquino
- Reports and critiques on the 1986 Draft Constitution, and the Cory Aquino government, 1986-1988. 3 covers.
- Reports on the human rights violations, 1986; fact-finding missions on massacres, 1986. 2 covers.
- Various reports, documents, articles and analyses of the human rights situation and violations under the Aquino government, 1987. 2 covers.
- US-Philippines fact-finding mission report, 1987; various materials on the US intervention in the Philippines, counter insurgency and low intensity conflict strategies, 1987; protest papers on the Aquino European visit, 1988; various materials on the coup attempts, 1989. 4 covers.
- Various documents on the low intensity conflict counter-insurgency programme of Aquino, and rightist vigilante groups, 1987. 2 covers.
- Various documents on the submission to the 43rd session of the UNCHR, 1987; and legislative bills and hearings of human rights cases in the House of Representatives, 1987-1988. 2 covers.
- Various documents on human rights violations, 1988; case documentation of Rev. Klaus Schmidt, Antonio Bosch, and Stellan Hermansson, 1988. 2 covers.
- Various studies, reports, letters, and protests on human rights violations; fact-finding mission report in Sipalay, Negros Occidental, 1989. 2 covers.
- Documents of the Philippine Alliance of Human Rights Advocates Fourth National Congress, 1992; PAHRA submission to the 50th Session of the UNCHR, 1994; statistics on political prisoners, 1993-1994. 4 covers.
- Various documents on the political prisoners profiles, 1985-1994; protest letters on human rights violations, 1986-1988; petitions to free political prisoners, 1986-1988; protests against the Citizen's Armed Forces Geographical Unit, 1993. 4 covers.
5.3. Electoral Politics
- Various documents, statements, and flyers on the 1975 Referendum; 1981 Plebiscite boycott campaign; and 1984 Parliamentary Elections boycott campaign. 3 covers.
- Various documents, statements, and flyers on the 1986 Snap Presidential Elections; boycott campaign; and the Peoples' Power Revolution. 3 covers.
- Various documents, statements, and flyers on the 1987 Local Elections; summing-up of experiences and prospects for coalition work, 1986-1990. 3 covers.
- Various documents, statements, and flyers on the 1992 Presidential Elections; report of the International Observer Mission for the Philippines Elections. 2 covers.
- Organisational information, articles and analyses, campaign materials of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan, 1985-1994; and the Nationalist Alliance for Justice, Freedom and Democracy, 1983-1986. 3 covers.
- Organisational information, articles and analyses, campaign materials of Alliance for New Politics, 1983-1987; and Partido ng Bayan, 1986-1987. 2 covers.
- Organisational information, articles and analyses, campaign materials of Bukluran sa Ikauunlad ng Sosyalistang Isip at Gawa; Institute for Popular Democracy; Akbayan; Siglong Paglaya; Sanlakas; Solidarity for Peoples' Power; Bayan Muna; Ibon Databank; Center for Legislative Development; Third World Studies Center; Edgar Jopson Memorial Foundation, 1986-2000. 11 covers.
5.4. International Solidarities
- Various documents of the Coalition Against the Marcos Dictatorship in California, USA; and the Anti-Martial Law Coalition in Vancouver, Canada, 1976-1983. 2 covers.
- Various documents of the Alliance for Philippine Concerns in California, USA; the Resource Center for Philippine Concerns in Tokyo, Japan; and Vlaardingen Bacolod Cities Friendship Ties and Cooperation, the Netherlands, 1980-1986. 3 covers.
- Various documents of the 1984 and 1985 International Solidarity Week; International Cooperation on Development Work in the Philippines, 1988; Manila Peoples' Forum on APEC, 1996; Alliance of Hope: Prospects for the Peoples' Plan in the 21st Century, 1988; Philippine Council for International Solidarity and Peace, 1989; Philippine European Solidarity Center-Komite ng Sambayanang Pilipino, n.d.; Conference on Philippine Crises and the European Response, 1985. 8 covers.
5.5. Mindanao Crises
- Special issue of the Southeast Asia Chronicle on the 400 Year War - Moro Struggle in the Philippines, 1982; study on Class and Colony in Mindanao: Political Economy of the National Question, 1980; a historical study on the Anatomy of the Mindanao Crises, n.d.; article on Profit at Gunpoint: Militarization and Economic Domination - A Christian Response, 1983; facts on Mindanao, socio-economic situation of Damulog in Bukidnon Province, report on export processing zone in Davao City (German), 1980-1981; government documents on peace and development in Mindanao, 1997. 6 covers.
- Various organisational materials, studies, position papers, programme documents, news articles and emails on the Moro National Liberation Front, 1979-1984; Moro Islamic Liberation Front, 1999; Timuway Revolutionary Autonomous Government, 1997; Salamat Hashim's Bangsa Moro State and Government, 1997; Bangsamoro Women Founation for Peace and Development, 1997; Proceedings of the Bangsa Moro NGO-PO Leaders' Consultation, 1998; and Lihok Mindanao, 1983-1984. 7 covers.
- Various documents on the history, constitution, programme of action, solidarity network and overseas revolutionary work of the Communist Party of the Philippines, 1988-1992. 4 covers.
- Organisational information, programme, reports, memoranda, political analyses, finance work guides of the National Democratic Front. (English, German, Filipino). 1980-1990. 2 covers.
- Various communique and correspondence of the NDF International Office; the NDF Position on the Middle East Crises; discussion paper on the Eastern Europe and the Philippine Revolutionary Movement, 1986-1991. 3 covers.
- Organisational information, programmes, articles, pamphlets of NDF-related organisations as the Artista at Manunulat ng Sambayanan, Christians for National Liberation, Cordillera People's Democratic Front, and Makibaka, 1983-1987. 4 covers.
- Articles and statements of the New People's Army (English, German, Filipino); interviews with Jose Maria Sison (German); correspondence and programme of the International league of People's Struggle, 1988-1990. 3 covers.
- Various documents and declarations on the left internal debates including solidarity groups, territorial and sectoral organisations, and coalition formations, 1990-1994. 6 covers.
- Various documents on the left internal debates updates, on the question of human rights and national liberation, and news articles in mainstream media, 1993-1994. 3 covers.
- Various documents, statements, and news articles on the Peace Talks between the Government of the Republic of the Philippines and the National Democratic Front, 1986-1993. 2 covers.
- Information materials on various social and political organisations classified by subject including: culture, coalitions/solidarities, regional/international networks, development/environment/relief and rehabilitation, n.d. 4 covers.
- Information materials on various social and political organisations classified by subject including: education, health, human rights, n.d. 3 covers.