War Resisters' International Archives
Total size 62.3 m.
Permission required by the WRI; this provision does not apply to files older than twenty years, files containing documents intented for general distribution, the Honour Rolls and all documents in the appendix
See consultation information
Founded in 1921 as an international association of autonomous national, regional and local radical pacifist organizations under the name Paco (`Peace' in Esperanto) in Bilthoven, the Netherlands, by Kees Boeke and others; member of the International Antimilitarist Bureau; secretariat in Bilthoven 1921-1923; renamed War Resisters' International (WRI) in 1923, with its secretariat in Enfield, a suburb of London 1923-1968, then in London 1968-1974, in Brussels 1974-1980 and from 1980 in London again; cooperated with other congenial international organizations like the International Fellowship of Reconciliation; participated in the Joint Peace Council and the Rassemblement Internationale contre la Guerre et le Militarisme; introduced the Broken Rifle as its symbol in 1932; propagated nonviolence and antimilitarism and supported conscientious objectors, victims of persecutions etc.; published the annual Roll of Honour (of war resisters in prison) and celebrated the yearly Prisoners of Peace Day (1st December); has its main sections in Western Europe, the USA, India, Japan and Australia, but much attention is also paid to the Third World, Eastern Europe and Southern Africa.
File on the foundation of Paco, consisting of correspondence, convocations and pamphlets 1921-1923; minutes and agenda of and some correspondence and notes concerning Triennial Conferences 1925-1986; minutes of and other documents concerning the Council 1926-1981 and the Executive Committee 1935, 1954-1982; circulars, including circulars to members of the Council 1923-1987; general correspondence 1966-1992; copies of outgoing letters 1977-1988; correspondence with Council members and with sections and other representatives in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, German Federal Republic, Great Britain, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Spain, Switzerland, USA, Uruguay and other countries, including correspondence with Grace Beaton, Harold Bing, Hem Day, Johan Galtung, Devi Prasad, Eugen Relgis, Hein van Wijk and others 1922-1991; correspondence with other international peace organizations 1928-1989; correspondence with and other documents relating to pacifist and peace organizations in various countries, most of them affiliated with the WRI 1932-1993; financial documents 1930-1980; press releases 1928-1978; copies of WRI newsletters 1965-1990; files on contacts with the UN 1948-1979; on study conferences, peace marches and training in nonviolence 1961-1990; on the help to refugees, including Jewish emigrants before and during the Second World War; on the help to members of sects, including the Duchobory in Canada, the Nazarenes in Yugoslavia and the Jehovah's Witnesses in a number of countries like Greece and the Soviet Union 1926-1969; on the position of conscientious objectors and other resisters of military service in different countries, including documents on national military service regulations 1923-1987; on WRI publications and periodicals 1923-1991; on the Roll of Honour and the Prisoners for Peace Day 1926-1983 and on other subjects; pamphlets, leaflets and press clippings 1925-1986; documents of the South American Settlement for Refugees (SASR) 1936-1960; the World Peace Brigade 1961-1967; the Internationale der Kriegsdienstgegner (IDK), Gruppe Zürich 1966-1971; the British No More War Movement 1922-1937; the WRI Youth Secretariat 1932-1936; the Lansbury House Trust Fund 1967-1985; papers of Hem Day (Belgium), consisting of correspondence, reports and documentation 1923-1961 and papers of Myrtle Salomon, chairwoman and treasurer of the WRI, consisting of correspondence and other documents from her WRI period (1921-)1975-1987 and documents relating to her membership of the Peace Pledge Union (PPU), the British affiliate of the WRI 1946-1987. Annex: a file concerning Lev Nicolaevič Tolstoj and his associate Vladimir G. Čertkov, including documents concerning his son Vladimir V. Čertkov 1902-1962.
Additional records 1967-1998, including financial records 1923-1926, 1934-1955 and 1963-1976, a file on the End Conscription Campaign (ECC) in South Africa 1985-1990 and a file on the Gulf War 1990-1991.
Additional records 1977-2000; documents concerning the Triennial Conferences 1986-1994, the annual council meetings 1988-1997; 'daily files' with correspondence 1993-2000; files concerning conscientious objection 1977-1998; documents concerning sections, the Balkan Peace Team 1993-2000; a notebook written by Myrtle Solomon 1985.
Additional records 1972-2001; documents concerning the Triennial Conference 1996-1998, the annual council meeting 2000, fundraising 1972-1998, the 4th International Women's Conference 1990-1993, conscientious objection and child soldiers 1985-2000, Lansbury House Trust Fund (LHTF) 1976-1992, Alternative Defence Commission (ADC) 1978-1986 and other affiliated organizations, sections and WRI events 1976-2000; documentation 1985-2001.Documents concerning the 22th Triennial Conference ‘Choosing Peace Together’ from 19 to 24 September 1998 in Porec, Croatia 1996-1998; the WRI Women groups and the 4th International Women’s Conference ‘Women Overcoming Violence: Redefining Development and Changing Society Through Nonviolence’ in Bangkok, Thailand 1990-1993; the meetings and projects of the Lansbury House Trust Fund 1976-1992; the Alternative Defence Commission 1978-1986; the Committee for Conflict Transformation 1998-2000; the Gulf Peace Team 1985-1997 and on conscientious objection and child soldiers 1985-2000.
Additional records 1972-2005: documents concerning the WRI statement on Wars of Liberation 1990; Triennial Conferences 1994-2002; sections and associations 1981-2001; Nonviolence and social empowerment project 1991-2001; contacts with other international organizations 1982-2003; conscientious objection rights and conflicts in various countries and regions 1982-2005.
List part 1 (inv.nrs. 1-444) made by J.R. van der Leeuw in 1984
List accrual 1991 (inv.nrs. 445-497) made by Amanda Elsinghorst and Henk Hondius in 1992
List accruals 1994 (inv.nrs. 498-529), 1997 (inv.nrs. 530-590) and 1999 (inv.nrs. 591-606) made by Henk Hondius in 1994, 1997 and 2000
List accrual 2002 (inv.nrs. 607-681) made Bernard Mantel in 2003
List accrual (inv.nrs. 682-794) made by Marie-Christine Engels in 2005
List accrual 2005-2007 (inv.nrs. 795-996) made by Erhan Tuskan in 2008
Secondary creatorDay, Hem. Solomon, Myrtle. South American Settlement for Refugees. World Peace Brigade. War Resisters' International. Section Suisse. No More War Movement (London) War Resisters' International.Youth Secretariat. Lansbury House Trust Fund (London)
Alternate Form of Material
Microfiche publication by Harvester Press (1977)
The War Resisters' International (WRI) was
founded in 1921 by Kees Boeke and others under the name
` Paco' (Peace in Esperanto) at Bilthoven
, The Netherlands, at a small conference of representatives of some
European radical peace organizations. Two years later the secretariat moved to
Enfield, a suburb of London . On this occasion the
organization changed its name into War Resisters' International
. It went to London in 1968, where it stayed
until 1974, then it was located at Brussels. The secretariat returned to
London in 1980.
The WRI is the oldest and most stable undenominational international federation of national and some regional and local radical pacifist organizations in the world. Originally the assistance to Conscientious Objectors (CO's) and the struggle for the recognition of conscientious objection as a human right stood on the foreground. Later the non-violent action against (nuclear) war, war preparation, militarism, arms industry and arms trade and all causes of war became major points.
The WRI cooperated with a number of congenial international organizations, such as the anarchist International Anti-Militarist Bureau and the christian International Fellowship of Reconciliation . It was a participant in some organized concerted actions, like the Joint Peace Council and the Rassemblement Internationale contre la Guerre et le Militarisme . WRI introduced the Broken Rifle as its symbol in 1932. WRI published the annual Roll of Honour (of war resisters in prison) and celebrated the yearly Prisoners of Peace Day (1st December). Its strongest affiliated groups (`sections') were in Western Europe and the United States of America.
The IISH collected WRI documents from its start in 1935. These were amalgamated with the WRI archives, that were transferred to the IISH in consequence of an agreement of this institute with Myrtle Solomon , then chairwoman of the WRI in the year 1985. Accruals were received since 1986.
The archives consist of documents concerning the foundation of Paco , records of the Triennial Conferences, minutes and other documents of the Council and the Executive Committee and of other committees, files on study conferences, files on individual cases, peace marches, records and other documents of mostly affiliated regional, local and national pacifist and peace organizations in various countries, circulars and correspondence, leaflets and some reports issued by the secretariat and WRI-periodicals. Documents of some other organizations can be found in the appendix, such as the No More War International Movement and the World Peace Brigade . For the period before 1952 the archives are far from complete.
This list gives a concise survey of the contents of each portfolio only. A more detailed (handwritten) list of the archives is available at the IISG archives department. See also the lists of the accruals in 1991, 1994 and 1997.
A copy of the microfiche collection The Archives of the WRI (1923-1977) published by Harvester Press, is also available.
Many books and pamphlets published by and on the WRI can be found in the library of the IISH as well as most of its periodicals. A number of photographs regarding the WRI can be seen in the audiovisual department.
In some other archives at the IISH additional data of different importance regarding the WRI may be found. Among them: Ir. Cornelis (Kees) and Beatrice Boeke-Cadbury , Fritz Lieb (both re Paco), the ANVA, Rev. J.B.Th. Hugenholtz , the IAMV , Jo B. Meijer , John Front , Pierre Ramus , the Sozialistische Jugend-Internationale , the Vereniging Dienstweigeraars , Romke de Waard and J.H. (Hein) van Wijk . Some of these archives are not entirely open to the public.
The size of the arranged part of the WRI archives is 51.65 m.
- File concerning Paco Bilthoven, including resolutions of Paco by Kees Boeke , documents concerning the International Conference Bilthoven, December 1922, essay by Helene Stöcker , letters re Paco , 1943, minutes of Paco , 1921-1923, general information concerning the WRI, 1931-1986, constitution and rules, 1948-1972, declaration and statement of principles. 1925-1973. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning the first Triennial Conference, Hoddesdon, Great Britain, July 1925, including War Resisters of the World. An account of the Movement and a report of the conference, book, published by the WRI, French and German translations; File concerning the 2nd Triennial Conference, Sonntagsberg, Austria, July 1928 , including `War Resisters in many lands', German and Esperanto translations; File concerning the 3rd Triennial Conference, Lyon, August 1931 , including `Brief Report of the International Council'. 1928-1931, and the WRI publications War Resistance. A Practical Policy and Die Kriegsgegner der ganzen Welt in Frankreich . 1925, 1928-1931. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning the 4th Triennial Conference, Digswell Park, Great Britain, July 1934 , including `Mobilisatie tegen den oorlog' by Bart de Ligt , Antwerpen. With a French translation. N.d.; File concerning the 5th Triennial Conference, Copenhagen, July 1937 , including `Review of the International Movement' by Grace Beaton . 1934, 1937. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning the 6th Triennial Conference, Shrewsbury, Great Britain, August 1948 , including `Bread and Peace' by Roy Walker , Ashington, 1948. 1947-1948. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning the 7th Triennial Conference, Braunschweig, July 1951 , including `The rainbow in the clouds' by Grace Beaton , report of the secretary. 1950-1952. 1 portfolio.
- Files concerning the 8th Triennial Conference, Paris , July-August 1954. 1952-1955. 2 portfolios.
concerning the 9th Triennial Conference, London .
NB. See also the minutes of the Conference in portfolio 28, pp. 526-533.
Files concerning the 10th
Triennial Conference `Peace Making', Gandhigram, India,
December 1960 .
1956-1961. 2 portfolios.
NB. See also the minutes in portfolio 29, pp. 559-567.
- Jayaprakash Narayan , Inaugural address; `Synthesis', Conference souvenir edited by Mankamar Ten ; Bede Griffith , La non-violencia y la guerra nuclear; La Declaración de Gandhigram.
concerning the 11th Triennial Conference, Stavanger.
NB. See also the minutes in portfolio 29 pp. 559-611.
- Files concerning the 12th Triennial Conference `Non-violence and politics', Rome, April 1966 . 1964-1966. 3 portfolios.
- Files concerning the 13th Triennial Conference `Liberation and Revolution. Gandhi's Challenge', Haverford College Penn., August 1969 . 1965-1969. 2 portfolios.
Files concerning the 14th
Triennial Conference `Revolution. Prospects and Strategies', University of
July 1972 .
1971-1973. 3 portfolios.
- Draft Manifesto for Nonviolent Revolution by George Lakey . With comments; Commisions, documents from participants, elections, reports of the conference, constitution and rules;
Files concerning the 15th
Triennial Conference `Festival of Non-Violent Political Alternatives',
Leeuwenhorst Congres Center, Noordwijkerhout,
July 1975 .
1974-1977. 3 portfolios.
- Planning Committee `The Daily Subversive', elections, women's gatherings (see portfolio 59), participants. 1974-1975 ;
- File concerning the 16th Triennial Conference planned in Catalonia, but held at Sonderberg, Denmark. August 1979. 2 portfolios.
Minutes of the council
meetings. Microprocessed originals.
1926-1977. 14 portfolios.
- List of the minutes of the council meetings from 1926-1977 ; Minutes of the council meetings. January 1926-26th July 1934: Berlin. January 1926; Enfield. May 1927; Wien. July 1928; Enfield. January 1929, with the minutes of a meeting with the No More War Movement, London. January 1929; Zürich. August-September 1929; Lyon. August 1931; Enfield. January 1932; Digwell Park. July 1934.
- Minutes of the council meetings. July 29th 1934-July 1955: Digswell Park. July 29th 1934; Zürich. July 1935; Hoddesdon. July 1936; Copenhagen. 23rd and 26th July 1937; Bilthoven, Broederschapshuis. July 1938; Basel. July 1939; London, informal meeting. August 1943; Cambridge. December 1946; Basel. July 1947; Shrewsbury. 5th and 9th august 1948; Bloemendaal. July-August 1949; Torino. July 1950 (p. 390-428); Braunschweig. 27th and 31st July 1951; Braziers Park. July 1952; Holte. July 1953; Paris. 27th July and 2nd August 1954; Pont-Céard, Genève. July 1955.
of the council meetings. July 1955-21st December 1960: Pont-Céard. July
1955-21st December 1960; London. July 1956 (p. 490-506); Bergisch Gladbach.
December 1956 (p. 507-517); London. 15th and 20th July 1957 (p. 518-525);
NB. See also list nos. 34-39
- Minutes of the council meetings. 1950-1954 : Torino. July 1950; London. November 1950 (informal meeting); Enfield. May 1951 (informal meeting); Braunschweig. 27th and 31st July 1951; Braziers Park. July 1952; Holte. July 1953; Paris. 29th July and 2nd August 1954.
- Minutes of the council meetings. 1955-1967 : Pont Céard, Genève. July 1955; London. July 1956; Bergisch Gladbach. December 1956; Store Restrup, Sønderholm. July 1958; Brussels. July 1959; Oostende. May 1960; Gandhigram, 21st and 28th December 1960; Partinico. July 1961; London. July 1962; Stavanger 26th and 31st July 1963; Mainz. July-August 1964; Kilternan, Dublin. July-August 1965; Rome. 7th and 13th April 1966; Spode House, Bugeley. July 1967.
- Minutes of the council meetings. 1968-1972 : Wien. August 1968; Haverford. August-September 1969; Namur. July 1970; Lübeck. July 1971; Sheffield. 21th and 28th July 1972.
1925-1958. 4 portfolios.
NB. See list of the Council Communications in inv.no. 39a.
Executive Committee meetings
Minutes of the Executive
Committee meetings. With annexes. Microprocessed originals.
1955-1974. 8 portfolios.
NB. See also the minutes of the Executive Committee meetings 1974-1978 in portfolio 31
- Files concerning the Consultative Committee. 1952-1954. 2 portfolios.
- Files concerning various committees. 1941-1977 :Pacifist Research Bureau Advisory Committee. 1941; Special Ad-hoc Committee. 1952; Working Group of the Finance Committee. 1966; War Resistance Committee. 1968; Working Group on Charles Walker's paper on `Organizing International Nonviolent Action'. 1973; International Commission of Enquiry to Investigate the situation in Larzac. 1973; Middle East Planning Committee. 1975-1976; Fund Raising Committee. 1976-1977; Personnel Committee. 1976-1977; IFOR-WRI Continuing Committee. 1976-1977; Files concerning the Women's Working Group. 1975-1977: Meetings of women during the 15th Triennial Conference, Noordwijkerhout. 1975; Meetings of the Planning Committee for the IFOR-WRI consultation: Manchester. 1975. Gross Heere. 1976. Brussels. 1976; International Gathering for Women in the Non-violent Movement, Les Circauds, St. Julien de Cirry. July 1976; Note by Rita Maran `Ideas for the Demilitarization of Society'. 1977. 1 portfolio.
Study conferences, seminars and camps
- File concerning a conference on proposals by Douglas Owen re International Rights of Conscience, Friends' House, London . January 1945 ; File concerning a WRI-PPU conference, St. Christopher's School, Letchworth. August 1945. 1 portfolio.
- Files concerning simultaneous regional conferences. January-July 1946 :`The WRI Calling. Simultaneous Conferences Throughout the World'. WRI-pamphlet and agenda supplement. Conferences in Argentine (Catalina and Buenos Aires), Australia (Thornleigh and Melbourne), Belgium (Brussels), Denmark (Ry), Great Britain (Bristol, Enfield, Leeds, London, Newcastle upon Tyne), New Zealand (Christchurch), Sweden (Ørebro), USA (New York City). 1 portfolio.
- Files concerning world pacifist meetings. 1945-1955 :First World Pacifist Meeting, Santiniketan-Sevagram. 1949; Pamphlet `Reports of World Pacifist Meeting'; 2nd World Pacifist Meeting, Japan. 1954; File concerning a not realized 3rd World Pacifist Meeting. 1954-1955. 1 portfolio.
- Report on the WRI Youth Conference by Michael Randle , Bückeburg. 1959 ; File concerning a WRI Study Conference /PPV Summer Conference, Clyne Castle. August 1960 ; File concerning a Youth Study Conference, Blaricum. August 1961 ; File concerning a Study Conference on resistance in Europe `The Emerge of Civil Disobedience', Breidablik. August-September 1962 ; Report on a conference on international action, organized by the British Committee of 100, preparatory to the Breidablik Conference, Cambridge. July 1962 ; File concerning a conference on international direct action against war, called by the Comité 1962 voor de Vrede, the Committee of 100, Zengakuren and WRI, Amsterdam. November 1962 ; File concerning a Study Conference on non-violence and socio-economic change, Authon-du-Perche. August 1963. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning an International Work and Study Camp for CO's, organized by WRI, the Internationale der Kriegsdienstgegner, Schweizer Zweig , and the Service Civil International, Hospental. July-August 1964 ; File concerning a Study Conference on non-violent solution of conflict with special reference to Germany and Berlin, Offenbach. August 1964. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning a conference of WRI and the World Council of Peace, Oostende. October 1964 ; File concerning a Study Conference on training in non-violence, Perugia. August 1965 ; File concerning a Study and Work Camp, Signa. August-September 1965. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning a Study Conference on Education for a World without War, sponsored by WRI and the World Council of Peace , Warsawa. August 1966. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning the 1st Conference of European Sections of WRI, Offenbach. February 1967 ; File concerning a Study and Work Camp, Internationales Freundschaftsheim, Bückeburg. May-June 1967 ; File concerning a WRI Study Conference on NATO, arranged by Folkereisning mot Krig, Romerike Folkehøgskole, Jessheim. July 1967 ; File concerning a WRI Study and Work Camp, arranged by the Movimento Nonviolento per la Pace, Montoggio. August-September 1967 ; File concerning a WRI-PPU Study and Work Camp, Loughborough. August-September 1967 ; File concerning the 2nd Conference of European Sections of WRI, Chateau de Charbonnières, Authon-du Perche. November 1967 ; File concerning the 3rd Conference of European Sections of WRI, Basel. March 1968. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning the first seminar on Gandhi's Relevance Today, organized by WRI and the World Council for Peace (Gandhi Centenary Year), Budapest. September-October 1969 ; File concerning the second seminar `Problems of Economic Development', London . 14th-16th February 1970; File concerning a meeting of Peace Internationals, London . 17 february 1970; File concerning an Evaluation Seminar on Training for Nonviolent Action, organized by WRI and the Friends Peace and International Relations Committee, Preston Patrick. June-July 1970. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning a conference on Conscientious Objection in Europe, St. Louis ( France ). May 1973; File concerning a consultation on Consientious Objection and Alternative Service in Europe, Brussels. January 1974 ; File concerning a Summer Work Camp for Conscientious Objectors and Pacifists, Larzac. August 1974. 1 portfolio.
- File concerning the European Antimilitarist Congress, Brussels. October 1974. 2 portfolios.
- File concerning an international Conference of Peace Researchers and Peace Activists, Noordwijkerhout. July 1975. 1 portfolio.
- Reports of the secretariat. Microprocessed originals. 1947-1980 ; Notes on a `collective' meeting. September 1972 ; Interstaff correspondence. 1959-1972 ; File concerning staff matters. 1951-1957 ; Staff administration. 1936-1975 ; Applications. 1959-1973. 1 portfolio.
- Files concerning staff members. B-Z. 1936-1975 ; Files concerning volunteers. C-W. 1969-1974. 1 portfolio.
- Files concerning the offices of WRI at Lansbury House, Enfield and 3 Caledonian Road, London ; Files concerning equipment, insurance and PTT ; Correspondence with solicitors Cain Tompkins and Co., Denis Hayes and Co. and others. 1942-1975. 1 portfolio.
- Cashbook concerning `General Relief', 1930-1939 and the ` South American Settlement for Refugees Ltd'. 1938-1939. 1 portfolio.
- Annual accounts, balance sheets and budgets. 1929-1980. 2 portfolios.
- Files concerning The Einstein Fund. c. 1932 ; Files concerning Taxes. 1944-1973 ; Files concerning Banks and Building Societies. 1942-1972 ; Files concerning Accountants. 1944-1973 ; Files concerning Charitable Trusts. 1954-1973 ; Files concerning Donations. 1959-1963. 1 portfolio.
- Files concerning bequests. B-W. 1952-1973 ; Correspondance with Wakefield Fortune Ltd., travel agents, London . 1953-1972. 1 portfolio.
- Letters to the Council and Sections etc., sent out by the secretariat. 1926-1981. 6 portfolios.
- Circulars, multiplied letters, reports, statements, forms etc., issued by the secretariat. 1923-1980. 4 portfolios.
- Press releases. In English, French, German and Dutch. 1928-1978. 3 portfolios.
- Files concerning Christmas greetings to conscientious objectors in prison, the annual `Honour Roll' of them and the annual `Prisoners of Peace Day' (1st December). 1926-1983. 2 portfolios.
- Printed leaflets, appeals, advertisements, forms, lists of publications etc. 1925-1989. 4 portfolios.
- Pamphlets, booklets and books, published by or concerning the WRI. With some correspondence about them. 1925-1975. 11 portfolios.
- Documents concerning WRI-periodicals WRI-Bulletin, IRG-Bulletin, IdK-Bulletin and WRI-Bulletin (In Russian). Photocopies and originals. 1924-1981. 1 portfolio.
Resisters' International Bulletin; L'Internationale des Résistants contre la
Guerre Bulletin; Internationale gegen den Krieg Bulletin.
1923-1925. 1 portfolio.
NB. In poor condition. See duplicates in inv.no. 114.
The War Resister
- The War Resister . 1948-1962 ; The War Resister . Reprint edition published by the War Resisters League, New York. 1944-1951 ;
- Le Résistant contre la guerre. Bulletin de l' IRG . 1926 ; Le Résistant à la guerre. Bulletin de l' IRG . 1926-1927, 1937-1938, 1945-1947, 1953-1962 ;
- Der Kriegsdienstgegner. Nachrichtenblatt der IdK . 1926, 1928, 1930 ; Der Kriegsdienstgegner. Bulletin der IdK . 1932-1936. Two special editions printed in Vienna; Die Friedensfront . 1937 ; Der Kriegsdienstgegner . 1939 ; Der Friedensbote , Hamburg. 1948 ; Der War Resister . 1958-1962 ; La Militrezistanto. Kvaronjare Bulteno de la IdM . 1935-1936, 1960-1961.
Resistance . Journal of the WRI.
1962-1977. 7 portfolios.
- WRI Newsletter . 1962-1990. 6 portfolios.
Assistance to refugees
Files on the
International Nonviolent Marches for Demilitarization.
1975-1984. 2 portfolios.
- Metz-Verdun. August 1975-1977 ; Hagenau-Landau-Lauterburg. July 1977 ; Catalonia and Sardinia. July-August 1978 ; Brussels-Berlin-Warszawa. August 1979. 1978-1979 ;
- Military Service Regulations and Laws concerning Conscientious Objection: Analysis I and II, Handbook. 1950-1961 ; `War Resisters' Passport'. 1951 ; `The Right of Asylum' by Hem Day and Harold Bing ; Enquiry on prison conditions in Belgium, France and Italy. 1952. 1 portfolio.
- WRI-book on Nonviolent Resistance during and since World War II. Not published. 1953-1955. 1 portfolio.
- The Cuban Crisis. 1962 ; Peace Workers Exchange Programme. 1964 ; Centenary Mahatma Gandhi. 1967-1969 ; Anti-NATO Action. 1970-1972 ; 50th Anniversary Poster Competition. 1971-1972 ; Training Program. 1971 ; Legal status of WRI in Belgium. 1975-1977. 1 portfolio.
- Amnesty International , International Secretariat, London . 1961-1983 ; Association Internationale des Travailleurs (AIT), Toulouse. 1960-1963 ; Association Internationale des Juristes Démocrates, Brussels. 1954 ; Commission Internationale Anarchiste ( CIA ), Netley Abbey. 1960-1961 ; Féderation Mondiale des Villes Jumelées, Paris . 1962-1969 ; International Commission of Jurists, Genève. 1965-1968 ; International Confederation for Disarmament and Peace (ICDP), London . 1963-1975. 1 portfolio.
- International Conference of Youth and Students for Disarmament, Peace and National Independence, Firenze. 1964 ; International Cooperative Women's Guild, London . 1954-1960 ; International Fellowship of Reconciliation (IFOR), London -Driebergen-Brussels-Alkmaar. 1953-1981 ; International Institute for Peace, Vienna. 1957-1968. 1 portfolio.
- International Liaison Committee of Organizations for Peace , Biehen-Genève. 1950-1964 ; International Peace Bureau, Genève. 1954-1986 ; International Peace Research Association, Groningen. 1965-1975 ; International Religious Fellowship, Utrecht. 1935, 1945 ; International World Peace Day Committee, Oakland. 1948-1950. 1 portfolio.
- Joint Advisory Council/Joint Peace Council, Enfield-Vienna. 1928-1931 ; Mondcivitana Respubliko, London . 1956-1971 ; Rassemblement Internationale contre la Guerre et le Militarisme (RIGM), Paris . 1937-1938 ; Registre International des Citoyens du Monde, Paris . 1953-1967 ; Sennacieca Asocio Tutmonda. 1959-1970 ; Servas (International). 1954-1967 ; Tutmonda Seperantista Junulara Organizo, Rotterdam-Amsterdam. 1954-1973 ; Union International des Sociétés de la Paix, Genève. 1963-1964 ; Union of International Associations, Brussels. 1952-1972. 1 portfolio.
- Correspondence United Nations Organization, New York. 1946-1979 ; File on Conscientious Objection as a Human Right. 1947-1979. 1 portfolio.
- File on a World Appeal for the Recognition of Conscientious Objection as a Human Right to the United Nations Commission on Humans Rights . 1968-1972. 1 portfolio.
- UNESCO, Paris . 1960-1967, 1977 ; Universala Esperanto Asocio, Rotterdam. 1957-1974 ; NB. WRI-meetings at UEA-Congresses, organized by Alfred Tucker during 1951-1964. Women's International League for Peace and Freedom , Genève. 1946-1970 ; World Congress for the International Women's Year, East-Berlin. 1975 ; World Council for the Peoples' World Convention , Paris . 1951-1964 ; World Council of Churches , Genève-Céligny. 1951-1970 ; World Federation of Democratic Youth , Budapest. 1955-1964 ; World Movement for World Federal Government , Amsterdam. 1954 ; World Parliament Association , London . 1963 ; World Peace Association , Jenkins (USA). 1957-1964 ; World Peace Brigade . 1961-1968. 1 portfolio.
national, regional and local sections.
1923-1991. 264 portfolios.
- Afghanistan. 1972 ; Africa. 1955-1974 ; Algeria. 1949-1970 ; Angola. 1972-1975 ; Anguilla. 1969.
- Chile. 1958-1966 ; China. 1947-1970 ; Colombia. 1957-1965 ; Costa Rica. 1955-1965 ; Cuba. 1956-1973 ; Cyprus. 1964-1965.
- Germany, Federal Republic. DFG-IdK-Verband der Kriegsdienstverweigerer (VK). 1973-1974 ; Vereinigte Kriegsdienstgegner (VK). 1974-1986.
- Germany, Federal Republic. Bundeskongresse. 1973-1974 ; Germany, Federal Republic. Verbandsvorstand (Klaus Tack, Offenbach). 1958-1967.
- Germany, Federal Republic. Zivil . 1962-1971 ; Germany, Federal Republic. VK Pressedienst . 1962-1968 ; Germany, Federal Republic. Informationen . 1968 ; Germany, Federal Republic. Dokumentationsabteilung. 1959-1967.
- Germany, Federal Republic. Local and regional groups, B-W. 1959-1974 ; Germany, Federal Republic. Gruppe demokratischer Kriegsdienstverweigerer Hamburg. 1969.
- Great Britain. `A Democratic Adventure. A Study of Social Trends and Human Needs'. Unpublished manuscript of a planned Pacifist Research Bureau publication. Correspondence with the authors and publishers. 1942-1943.
- Lebanon. 1974 ; Lesotho. 1960 ; Liberia. 1939-1940 ; Luxemburg . 1960-1973 ; Malagasy. 1951-1975 ; Malaya. 1956 ; Malaysia, 1954-1965 ; Malta. 1943-1958 ; Mauritius. 1966-1969.
NB. With act of the foundation of the Mexican section of the WRI 24-4-1931 (large format).
- Portugal. 1955-1974 ; Puerto Rico. 1951, 1959, 1966 ; Roumania. 1927-1966 ; El Salvador. 1955-1959 ; Solomon Islands. 1956-1957.
- Spain. Campaign for the Recognition of Conscientious Objection in Spain. WRI-documents. 1975-1977.
- Spain. Campaign for the Recognition of Conscientious Objection in Spain. Correspondence A-Z. 1975-1977.
- Syria. 1956, 1958. Tanzania. 1943-1974. Thailand. 1960, 1968. Turkey. 1958-1964. Union of Socialist Soviet Republic. 1928-1971.
- United States of America. The Vietnam War. Amnesty for deserters and draft resisters. 1969-1975.
- Papers of Hem Day , Brussels. 1923-1961 ; Papers of Gabrielle Duchêne , Paris . Photocopies. 1928-1930 ; Correspondence of Rev. Willi Kobe, Zürich. Photocopies. 1931-1946 ; Documents of and concerning the WRI-Youth Secretariat. 1932-1936 ; Circular letters of the Youth Groups of the WRI. 1932-1936 ; Rundbrief der Jugendgruppen der IdK. 1933 ; Mitteilungen. 1934-1935 ; Circulars. 1936 ; Correspondence of Dutch pacifist youth groups with and concerning the Youth Secretariat. 1934-1936. 1 portfolio.
Archives of the
South American Settlement for Refugees in Colombia Ltd.
(SASR), Enfield. Proceded by papers of the National Christian Appeal for
Refugees from Germany, etc.
- Leaflets, reports and pamphlets. 1936-1939 ; General file concerning the activities of the SASR. 1937-1941.
- Fragebögen, completed by members of the first group of emigrants. 1936-1939 ; File concerning meetings of the Christian Churches Committee for German Refugees and the SASR, London . 1938-1941 ; Accounts of the Settlement. 1939-1940 ; Photographs of the Settlement at Pital, Colombia. N.d.
Archives of the World
- File on preparations, the Conference to establish the WPB, Brummana (Lebanon). December 1961-January 1962 ; Council meeting, London . July-August 1962 ; Reports and other documents on general affairs. 1961-1967 ; Documents on the London Working Committee and the London office. 1962 ; Addresses; Data on volunteers. 1962 ; Documents on finance. 1962-1966 ; Financial administration. 1961-1964.
- File on the European Regional Council, London . 1962-1965 ; File on the voyage of the boat `Everyman III' to Leningrad. 1962 ; Documents of the Scandinavian section. 1963 ; File on the African Freedom Project, Dar es Salaam. 1962.
- Collection of cuttings from the archives of the Swiss Internationale der Kriegsdienstgegner, Gruppe Zürich. 1966-1971. 7 portfolios.
Accrual of the archive of the WAR RESISTERS' INTERNATIONAL 1923-1988 (inv. nrs. 445-497)
In 1991 an accrual was received by the IISH. This accrual covers the same period as the part already present at the IISH. For a complete survey of the records both lists have to be consulted. The accrual also contains papers of Myrtle Solomon , chairwoman of the WRI, which includes some personal correspondence and documents, and a file on Leo Tolstoj and Vladimir Čertkov .
Photos and some taperecordings of the 10th-14th Triennial Conferences have been transferred to the iconographic department of the IISH. Amanda Elsinghorst made the descriptions of the first part, Henk Hondius described the Solomon papers.
The accrual of the archive is 6.60 m.
- List of the WRI filing system. N.d.; Articles and reports of the WRI. 1987 ; Correspondence. 1984-1987 ; Documentation on anti-militarism. 1982 ; Correspondence with the Swedish Peace and Arbitration Society (SFSF) , Kristna Fredsrorelsen , the MOC (Madrid) and the NVDAG (Sri lanka). 1978-1984. 1 box.
- File on the European Nuclear Disarmament Convention. 1984-1987 ; File on the Peace Brigades International (PBI). 1983-1984 ; Files on the Deutsche Friedensgesellschaft-Vereinigte Kriegsdienstgegner (DFG/IDK Hamburg and the DFG/VK) 1974-1983. 1 box.
- File on the Deutsche Friedensgesellschaft-Vereinigte Kriegsdienstgegner (DFG-VK). 1980-1984 ; File on the European Nuclear Disarmament Convention. 1983-1984 ; File on anti-militarism 1985-1986 ; File on the International Seminar "Refusing War Preparations-conscientious objection and non-cooperation". 1987. 1 box.
- File on Non Governmental Organisations (NGO's). 1977-1984 ; Circulars, leaflets and reports of the National Peace Council. 1983-1985 ; File on the World Conference Against A & H Bombs. 1977-1984. 1 box.
- File on human rights. 1980-1988 ; File on the third world. 1979-1981 ; File on the International Collective Resistance (ICR/ ICI ). 1974-1978 ; File on Servicio Paz y Justicia. 1982-1984 ; File on l'Association Internationale pour la Résistance à la Guerre (AIRG). 1975-1978. 1 box.
- File on the International Peace Bureau. 1977-1984 ; File on conscientious objection and on international organizations associated with the WRI. 1975-1984. 1 box.
- File on the Quaker Council for European Affairs and the Service Civil International (SCI) . 1976-1984 ; File on the International Fellowship of Reconciliation (IFOR) . 1978-1984 ; File on War Resisters' League (WRL) and the Fellowship of Reconciliation section Britain (FOR). 1970-1984. 1 box.
- File on Demilitarisation Marches. 1980-1981 ; Files on Military Service Regulations in separate countries in alphabetical order, countries A. 1944-1972. 1 box.
- Files on Military Service Regulations in separate countries in alphabetical order, countries B-C. 1940-1972. 1 box.
- Files on Military Service Regulations in separate countries in alphabetical order, countries D-G. 1923-1972. 1 box.
- Files on Military Service Regulations in separate countries in alphabetical order, countries H-I. 1946-1972. 1 box.
Military Service Regulations in separate countries in alphabetical order,
countries J-M and the Netherlands.
1923-1972. 1 box.
NB. The file on the Netherlands contains documents of Hein van Wijk .
- File on Military Service Regulations in separate countries in alphabetical order, countries N-R. 1937-1972. 1 box.
- File on Military Service Regulations in separate countries in alphabetical order, countries Sa-Swe. 1938-1972. 1 box.
- File on Military Service Regulations in separate countries in alphabetical order, countries Ta-Tu, Switzerland and Syria. 1933-1972. 1 box.
- File on Military Service Regulations in separate countries in alphabetical order, countries U-Z. 1930-1972. 1 box.
- Files of correspondence with persons and organizations associated with the WRI. 1970-1981 ; File on `Berufsverbote'. 1976-1980. 1 box.
- Files of correspondence with persons and organizations associated with the WRI. 1965-1981. 3 boxes.
- Files of correspondence with persons and organizations associated with the WRI. 1969-1981 ; Articles on the Peace Movement. 1971-1980. 1 box.
- Files of correspondence with persons and organizations associated with the WRI. 1969-1981 ; Leaflets, pamphlets and press clippings. 1974-1984. 1 box.
- Minutes, reports and circulars. 1972-1979 ; File on the UNESCO Project "Tradition of Non-Violence in East and West". 1964 ; Correspondence with FOR section Britain. 1972-1979 ; Printed materials of the Norwegian Folkereisning Mot Krig (FMK) . 1970-1979 ; Printed material of the WRI Japan. 1974-1975 ; Printed material of the MOC (Madrid) on Catalonia. 1976-1980. 1 box.
- Files of correspondence with persons and organizations associated with the WRI. 1950-1981. 1 box.
- Files of correspondence with persons and organizations associated with the WRI. 1970-1985 ; File on the 50th Anniversary Committee. 1973-1975 ; File on Societas Populorum Progressio (SPP) . 1974-1982 ; File on the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri) . 1972-1983. 1 box.
- File on the Co-ordination Commitee for International Voluntary Work Camps. 1961-1967 ; Correspondence with WRI Japan. 1973-1977 ; File on the International Seminar on Training for Non-violent Action (ISTNA) . 1976-1979 ; File on individual cases of conscientious objection in several countries. 1977-1981. 1 box.
- Documentation on nuclear power. 1974-1979 ; Correspondence with the "Werkgroep voor de Vrede" (Netherlands). 1969-1979 ; Correspondence with "'t Kan Anders" (Netherlands). 1969-1979 ; Correspondence with "Folkereisning Mot Krig" (Norway). 1970-1979 ; Correspondence with the Belgian "Internationale van Oorlogstegenstanders" (IVO) . 1971-1976 ; Correspondence with the B elgian "Mouvement International de Reconcilation (MIR) . 1972-1977. 1 box.
- Printed material on the USA. 1983 ; File on applications for membership of the WRI. 1966-1978 ; Documentation on nuclear power. 1972-1979. 1 box.
- File on conscientious objection in West-Germany. 1975-1982 ; Documentation on nuclear power. 1975. 1 box.
- File on the " Verband Progressiver Pazifisten und Kriegsdienstverweigerer" (PPK). 1977-1979 ; Documentation on SDI and nuclear arms. 1983-1986 ; Circulars. 1973, 1986 ; File on the Non-Governmental Organizations Conference on Disarmament in Geneva. 1978 ; File on Studies in Nonviolence (SIN). 1975-1978 ; File on the "Internationale der Kriegsdienstgegner" (IRG). 1975-1980 ; Correspondence. 1983-1985. 1 box.
- Minutes of the Executive Commitee and the National Council. 1970-1974 ; File on Esperanto organizations. 1975-1982 ; File on the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW) . 1983-1984 ; File on the International Youth and Student Movement for the United Nations (ISMUN) . 1977-1979 ; File on the World Information Service on Energy (WISE) . 1978. 1 box.
- Circulars, leaflets and documentation on the National Peace Council. 1983-1984 ; Correspondence with the Swedish SFS. 1973-1979 ; Correspondence with "Svenska Världsfredsmissionen". 1968-1976 ; Correspondence with the War Resisters' League . 1975-1979 ; Correspondence with the AMK. 1970-1978. 1 box.
- File on the Campaign Against the Arms Trade. 1977-1985 ; Correspondence with the WRI Israël. 1975-1980. 1 box.
- Correspondence with the Movimento Nonviolente. 1968-1977 ; File on the Movement for a New Society. 1971-1979 ; Correspondence with the Peace Pledge Union (PPU) . 1969-1979 ; Correspondence with l'Union Pacifiste . 1970-1979 ; Correspondence with FOR (section USA). 1968-1977 ; Printed material on the FOR (section Britain). 1973-1976 ; Printed material on the Mouvement International de la Réconciliation (MIR) . 1969-1979. 1 box.
- File on the publicaton Peace News . 1970-1979 ; File on the Dutch " Vereniging Dienstweigeraars" (VD) . 1974-1976 ; File on the Partito Radicale. 1972-1979 ; File on Greenpeace ( London ). 1974-1978 ; Signed statements with documentation on the statement "Declaration on Disarmament". 1981-1982 ; Documents of the WRI Council. 1982 ; File on disarmament in Spain. 1972-1982 ; File on disarmament in South Africa. 1969-1982 ; File on the War Resisters' League. 1971-1983. 1 box.
- File on the Peace Brigades International (PBI). 1982 ; Circulars of Servicio Paz y Justicia Europa (SERPA-Europa) . 1982-1984 ; File on conscientious objection in Greece. 1976-1980. 1 box.
- File on War Tax Resistance. 1967-1981 ; Correspondence of Myrtle Solomon in her function as chairwoman of the WRI, including documents on conferences, held in Santpoort, Palestine and Malta. 1981-1984 ; Minutes of the WRI Executive Commitee. 1975-1982. 1 box.
Documents received from Myrtle Solomon
- Records of the PPU period of Myrtle Solomon. 1947-1974 and n.d.; Articles. 1968, 1974 and n.d. ; Correspondence. 1964, 1969 ; Letters and other documents issued or received by Stuart Morris . 1947-1963 ; File on the death of Stuart Morris . 1967 ; Private correspondence concerning the death of her brother. 1954-1956 ; Inventory valuation by Sotheby. 1972-1980. 1 box.
- Correspondence. With annexes. 1984-1987. Noteblocs by Myrtle Solomon . N.d.; File on the death of Myrtle Solomon . 1987. 1 box.
- Correspondence, received from Myrtle Solomon , conducted by David McReynolds (chairman of the WRI from 1986), Howard Clark , John Hyatt and Veronica Kelly (WRI-staffmembers). 1985-1987. 1 box.
- File on the situation in France , including the Algerian war. 1956-1957 ; File on actions in Belgium. 1983 ; (Draft-) articles by various authors. 1976-1980 ; A collection of early printed and stencilled documents of WRI and other organizations. 1915-1940 and n.d.; File on Paco . 1921 ; A collection of pacifist poems and quotes. c. 1940 ; Correspondence, conducted by staffmembers. 1944-1987 ; File on the WRI-staff employment. 1971, 1986 and n.d. ; File on Albert Einstein and the WRI. n.d.; File on Henry Berkovsky . 1918 ; File on Sybil Morrison . 1985 and n.d. 1 box.
- Collection of leaflets, pamphlets and other printed material from WRI and other pacifist and anti-militarist organizations. c. 1932-1986 and n.d. 4 boxes.
Annex: Documents of Lev Nicolaevič Tolstoj and Vladimir Čertkov
- Letter by Tolstoj to S.A. Tolstaja . 1910 ; Copy of article "čto est' iskusstvo" and draft translation in English of part of it. N.d.; English translations of diary entries by Tolstoj . 1900, 1907 ; English translations of Tolstoj 's articles. 1898-1934 ; Letters by Čertkov to Tolstoj . 1903, 1910 ; Letter of Čertkov . 1919 ; Manuscript "Ispoved' opomnivšegosja revoljucionera" by Čertkov . N.d.; Article "How to translate Tolstoj " by Čertkov . 1909 ; Letters by N. Obolensky to Čertkov . 1902 ; Letter about the acquisition of the documents of Tolstoj and Čertkov . 1953. 1 box.
- File on Čertkov . 1938-1962 ; File on Chaga Jacob. 1957-1958 ; Report on the antimilitaristic movement in Russia. 1922 ; File on Valentin Bulgakow . 1936-1957 ; File on the Tolstoyans in Russia. 1937 ; Correspondence. 1945-1966 ; File on the WRI and Russia. 1940-1966 ; File on the legacy by Vladimir Čertkov . 1958-1961. 1 box.
Accrual to the archive of the WAR RESISTERS' INTERNATIONAL 1962 - 1993 (inv. nrs. 498-529)
This (second) accrual covers mainly the period 1975-1988. For a complete survey of the records all available lists have to be consulted. In 1994 this accrual was given to the IISH. Posters and some photos have been transferred to the iconographic department of the IISH. A large amount of books, pamphlets and periodicals has been transferred to the library of the IISH.
The size of the accrual is 4 m.
- File on the Second Special Session of the United Nations General Assembly on Disarmament (SSD II). 1981-1982 ; File on the WRI Conscientious Objection Conference. 1981 ; Headquarter reports. 1976-1985. 1 box.
- File on individual conscientious objection cases in Greece. 1976-1984 ; File on individual conscientious objection cases in Israel. 1974-1984 ; Correspondence with the Graswurzelrevolution Föderation ; Gewaltfreie Aktionsgruppen (FöGA) , the Kollektiver Gewaltfreier Widerstand gegen Kriegs- und Ersatzdienste and other German groups. 1977-1983 ; Correspondence with groups in the USA. 1984-1985. 1 box.
- Documents concerning the International Peace Bureau (IPB) , Geneva. 1985-1987 ; File on the Partito Radicale , one of the Italian WRI sections. 1980-1984 ; File on the Lega Obiettori di Coscienza (LOC) . 1973-1978 ; File on Peace News . 1971, 1980-1985 ; File on the Peace Brigades International (PBI) . 1985-1987 ; Publications produced by the WRI. 1979-1985 ; Documents concerning a Conference for a Nuclear-Free Pacific. 1975. 1 box.
- Printed material concerning disarmament and disarmament negotiations. 1971-1987 ; Correspondence with and other documents concerning war resistance groups and human rights in Israel, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Brunei, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Malaysia. 1981-1985. 1 box.
- File on WRI-constitutional amendments at Triennial Conferences. 1978-1985 ; Documents concerning the International Non Violent Movement and other group initiatives. 1971-1972, 1981-1985 ; Documents concerning the WRI-Seminar `Refusing to coöperate with war preparations', Brussels. 1987. 1 box.
- Correspondence with the Folkereisning Mot Krig (FMK) , Norway. 1980-1984 ; Background articles and other printed material on behalf of WRI-Triennials. N.d.; Printed material of the Nonviolent Direct Action Group (NVDAG) , WRI-Sri Lanka Section. 1983-1985 ; Correspondence with the International Seminars on Training for Nonviolent Action (ISTNA) . 1976-1985 ; File on conscientious objection laws and the general situation in Spain. 1976-1983 ; Declarations by individual conscientious objectors. 1968-1982. 1 box.
- File on children bearing military arms. 1986-1991 ; File on state repression and military industry. 1976-1985. 1 box.
- Articles concerning disarmament. 1980-1985 ; Documentation concerning the Tamil struggle in Sri Lanka. With some correspondence. 1976-1983 ; File on the NGO Committee on Disarmament of the United Nations . 1973-1984 ; Correspondence with the Internationale der Kriegsdienstgegner (IDK) , the WRI German section. 1974-1981 ; Correspondence with and other documents of Housmans Bookshop Limited, London . 1976-1984 ; File on South Africa and Namibia. 1981-1986 ; Correspondence with the Union des Pacifistes du Québec. 1982-1983 ; Correspondence with the War Resisters' League (WRL), Queensland, Australia. 1982-1985. 1 box.
- Printed materials of the Deutsche Friedensgesellschaft-Vereinigte Kriegsdienstgegner (DFG-VK) . 1985 and n.d; Printed material of the International Fellowship of Reconciliation (IFOR) . 1983-1984 ; Correspondence with the Shanti Sena and other groups in India. 1969-1981 ; Correspondence with the Union of Conscientious Objectors of Finland . 1982-1983 ; Correspondence with the Movement for a New Society (MNS) and the Resource Center for Nonviolence (USA) . 1977-1884 ; File on contacts with the press. 1977-1982 ; Correspondence with groups in Latin America. 1983-1984 ; Correspondence with various anti-nuclear weapons movements. With leaflets and other printed material. 1981-1986. 1 box.
- Correspondence with the Voice of Solidarnosc . With some documentation on human rights in Poland. 1983-1984 ; Documentation concerning official and unofficial peace movements in the USSR. With some correspondence. 1982-1985 ; Correspondence with the Peace Pledge Union (PPU) . With some leaflets. 1980-1984 ; Correspondence with the Christian Movement for Peace (CMP) . 1973-1976 ; Correspondence with German groups. 1962-1964, 1981-1984 ; Printed material from Danish groups. 1988 and n.d. ; Documentation of the London Peace Action (LPA) . 1981-1986 ; Correspondence with Aldrig Mere Krig , the Danish WRI-section. 1970-1984. 1 box.
- Correspondence with and concerning the European Nuclear Disarmament Convention (END) . 1984-1993 ; Correspondence with and concerning the International Fellowship of Reconciliation (IFOR) . 1980-1984 ; Correspondence concerning the WRI-program, WRI-activities and coöperation with among others the IFOR. 1982-1984. 1 box.
- Correspondence with the War Resisters' League (WRL), the USA WRI-section. 1980-1984 ; NGO-documents concerning the right of Conscientious Objection. 1977-1984 ; Correspondence with Amnesty International . 1979-1985 ; File on the Japan WRI-section. 1975-1984 ; Correspondence with the Work Group for Civilian Service, Non-violence and Civilian Defence (Austria). 1982-1984. 1 box.
- Correspondence with groups and organizations in Sweden, Spain, Norway, France , Finland, Italy, Portugal, the Netherlands and Switzerland. 1980-1985 ; Printed material from the Federation of Anarcho-Pacifists (FAP) and the World Disarmament Campaign (WDC) UK and other UK peace groups. With some correspondence. 1980-1989 ; File on Greenpeace London . 1979-1985, 1990 ; Correspondence with the END. 1985-1992. 1 box.
- File on conscientious objection laws and the general situation in the countries A-S. 1975-1986 ; File on individual conscientious objection cases in countries A-H. 1982-1985 ; File on the 19th WRI-Triennial. 1987-1988. 1 box.
- File on Kampanjen mot Verneplikt (Norway). 1983 and n.d. ; Correspondence with Canadian groups. 1984 ; Correspondence with Greek groups. 1981, 1984, 1988 ; Correspondence with various groups. 1984-1986 ; File on militarisation of France and the position of conscientious objectors in France . 1969 ; Documents concerning peace camps in Germany, Greece and the United Kingdom. 1983-1988 ; Documents concerning actions against nuclear power. 1977-1985 ; Correspondence with the Movimento Nonviolento (Italy). 1971-1985 ; File on human rights in Vietnam. 1985-1987 ; File on human rights in the German Democratic Republic (GDR), Hungary and Czechoslovakia. 1978-1985. 1 box.
- Copies of outgoing letters. 1977-1988. 3 boxes.
- Correspondence concerning human rights in Turkey. 1980-1987 ; Correspondence with 't Kan Anders , a Dutch WRI-section. 1980-1982 ; Lists with bibliographies, films and other propaganda materials. 1979-1989 ; File on tax resistance. With some correspondence. 1984-1989. 1 box.
- File on groups in the Americas. 1983-1988 ; File on groups in Spain. 1986 ; File on interpretors. 1973-1982 ; File with general surveys of conscientious objection laws. 1977-1984 ; File on the Middle East. 1975-1989. 1 box.
- Correspondence concerning Demilitarisation marches. 1984-1989 ; Correspondence with the Union Pacifiste de France (UPF) . 1975-1984 ; Correspondence with the Action du Mouvement International de la Réconciliation (MIR) , French section. 1974-1980 ; Correspondence with Dawn, Ireland. 1976-1983 ; Correspondence with groups in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific. 1982-1983. 1 box.
- File on the Deutsche Friedensgesellschaft-Internationale der Kriegsdienstgegner (DFG-IDK) . 1974, 1977-1985 ; Correspondence with individuals in Africa. 1982-1983 ; Correspondence with Dutch groups: the Stichting `Algemene Nederlandse Vredes Actie' (ANVA) and the Werkgroep voor de Vrede (WvdV). 1974-1984 ; Correspondence with the Christian Pacifist Society of New Zealand (the New Zealand WRI-section). 1969-1981 ; Correspondence with the Internationale van oorlogstegenstanders, the Flemish WRI-section. 1975-1982 ; Correspondence with Pax Christi International. 1983-1984 ; Printed material of the Svenska Freds- och Skiljedomsföreningen. 1974-1984 ; Correspondence with the Sveriges Arbetares Centralorganisation (SAC) , Göteborg Branch. 1983-1984 ; Correspondence with the Vereniging Dienstweigeraars (VD) (the Netherlands). 1974-1982 ; Articles, written by several Peace Research Institutes. 1975-1986. 1 box.
- Documents concerning the International Peace Bureau (IPB) . With some correspondence. 1987-1990 ; File on the Servizio Paz y Justicia (SERPAJ) Europe and Latin America. 1985-1990 ; File on the International Fellowship of Reconciliation (IFOR) . 1986-1989. 1 box.
- File on the Deutsche Friedensgesellschaft-Vereinigte Kriegsdienstgegner (DFG-VK) . With some correspondence. 1985-1989 ; Printed material of the War Resisters League (WRL), the WRI- section of the USA. 1984-1989 ; Correspondence with the WRL (USA). 1985-1989. 1 box.
- Correspondence with and printed materials of the Peace Pledge Union (PPU) . 1985-1989 ; Correspondence with the Selbstorganisation der Zivildienstleistenden . 1983-1984 ; Correspondence with the Association de soutien aux objecteurs de conscience (ASOC) , France . 1982-1984 ; Files on conscientious objection laws in Germany and France . 1978-1984 ; File on conscientious objection laws in countries S-Z. 1976-1984 ; File on individual conscientious objection cases in Germany and Belgium. 1975-1985. 1 box.
- File on individual conscientious objection cases in countries I-Z. 1982-1984 ; File on the 18th WRI Triennial. 1986 ; File on the End Conscription Campaign (ECC). 1978-1986 ; File on unilateral disarmament. 1977-1981. 1 box.
- File on the WRI-activities and programm. 1980-1982 ; File on the Plowshares Movement.  ; File on the 5th IPPNW European Symposium. 1990 ; File on the Falkland War between Great Britain and Argentina. 1982-1983. 1 box.
Accrual to the archives of the WAR RESISTERS' INTERNATIONAL (1935-) 1949-1993 (inv. nrs. 530-590)
The accrual to the archives of the War Resisters' International arrived at the IISH in 1997.
Posters and photographs have been transferred to the audiovisual department of the IISH and books, pamphlets and periodicals to the library of the IISH.
The size of this accrual is 3 m.
- Correspondence with and other documents of and concerning war resister organizations in various countries. 1984-1990 and n.d. 14 folders.
- Correspondence with war resisters' organizations in European countries. 1983-1993. 3 folders.
- Correspondence with war resisters' organizations in Eastern European countries. 1985-1992. 1 box and 1 folder.
- Correspondence concerning military service regulations, alphabetically arranged in order of countries. 1944-1972. 1 box.
- Documentation concerning military service regulations in different countries, alphabetically arranged in order of countries. , 1951, 1966, 1972-1976 and n.d. 2 boxes.
- Correspondence with war resisters' organizations in various countries in Africa. 1986-1988. 1 folder.
- Correspondence with war resisters' organizations in Asia. 1985-1989. 4 folders.
- Proceedings of and other documents concerning WRI Council Meetings. 1978-1987. 2 folders.
- Documents concerning the European Nuclear Disarmament (END) Convention. 1985-1989. 2 folders.
- File on the Anti Conscription Manifesto. 1926-1948 ; Annual income and expenditure accounts. 1930-1945, 1950 ; Documents concerning representatives in various countries. 1960-1966 ; Miscellaneous documents. Various years. 1 box.
LIST ACCRUAL 1999
The accrual to the archives of the War Resisters’ International arrived at the IISH in 1999. Posters and photographs have been transferred to the audiovisual department of the IISH and books, pamphlets and periodicals to the library of the IISH.
The size of this accrual is 2 m.
- Copies of outgoing letters. 1991-1993. 3 boxes.
1972-1996. 4 boxes.
- Beyer, Wolfram. 1985-1992. Caraj, Marie. 1987-1989. Desai, Narayan. 1986-1994. Doeschot, Reinoud. 1982-1991. Elsler, Ellen. 1979-1990. Griffin, Vanessa. 1990. Hackman, Thomas. 1987-1994. Hagedorn, Ursula. 1988-1989. Hope, Rachel. 1990-1991. Hren, Marko. 1988-1995. Iglesia-Gomez, Marian. 1986-1993. Jeevaa (Sri Lanka), a Non Violent Direct Action Group (NVDAG) 1986-1987.
- Johansen, Jörgen. 1987-1992. Jones, Peter. 1986-1993. Kelly, Veronica. 1990-1994. Leung, Trini. 1991-1995. Lindgren, Björn. 1982-1990. Lowe, Martyn. 1986-1987. Marriott, Pippa. 1988-1992. McReynolds, David. 1985-1995. Meyer, Matt. 1989-1990.
- Monod, Michel. 1988-1996. Moretti, Cecilia. 1992-1993. Norenius, Ulf. 1981-1985. Pinna, Pietro. 1981-1989. Prasad, Devi. 1984-1995. Randle, Michael. 1980-1993. Ridard, Bernadette. 1980-1986. Schweitzer, Christine. 1991-1992. Sebastian, Kie. 1982-1990.
- Seng, Kalle. 1989-1995. Sheehan, Joanne. 1986-1994. Simpson, Craig. 1975-1983. Smythe, Tony. 1982-1990. Speck, Andreas. 1995. Vanden Berghe, Serge. 1988-1994. Van Lierde, Jean. 1981-1996. Wandelaer, Jean de. 1984-1994. Weber, Helga. 1979-1987. Wilsnack, Dorie. 1986-1995. Woodward, Beverley. 1972-1991.
- Correspondence with volunteer translators. 1968-1975; Correspondence with volunteer interpreters. 1988-1990; Documents concerning the East-West Working Group. 1990; Documents concerning the Quaker UN Office Geneva. 1989-1992; Documents the UK Committee Hugh Brock Memorial Library, Zambia. 1988-1991; Documents concerning the National Peace Council of Great Britain. 1998; Office manual of Myrtle Solomon. . 1 box.
- Correspondence with and concerning war resister organizations in Germany and Poland. 1985-1994. 1 box.
- Correspondence with and concerning war resister organizations in South Africa. 1985-1990; Documents concerning the WRI-Working Group on Southern Africa. 1988. 1 box.
LIST ACCRUAL 2002
This accrual to the archives of the War Resisters International, which was received in 2002, consists mostly of material from 1985-2000. It contains documents relating to the Triennial Conferences held by the WRI from 1986 to 1994, documents concerning the annual council 1988-1997 and the 'daily files', which consist of correspondence by letter, fax and e- mail 1993-2000. An important part of the archives contains files concerning the situation of conscientious objectors and the armed forces in about all the countries of the world in the period 1977-1998. Together with the accrual archives of the Balkan Peace Team ( BPT ) were received. From 1993 to 2000 the BPT tried to pose a nonviolent alternative to the war in former Yugoslavia and Kosovo. The accrual contains also some section files and a notebook written by Myrtle Solomon .
the 18th Triennial Conference held from 31 December 1985 to 6 January 1986 at
1984-1986. 4 folders.
- Correspondence and minutes concerning the preparation and the evaluation of the conference. 1984- 1986.
- Documents concerning the 19th Triennial Conference held from 18 to 22 June 1988 at Mariehamn on Åland, Finland. Contains correspondence, background papers, reports, bulletins etc. 1987-1988. 1 box.
the 20th Triennial Conference held from 28 July to 1 August 1991 at Namur,
1988-1991. 8 folders.
- Documents concerning the preparatory meetings, the Council meeting 1991, the Business meeting. 1991.
- Documents concerning the 21th Triennial Conference, held from 10 to 17 December 1994 at São Leopoldo, Brazil. 1993-1994. 7 folders.
- Minutes, agenda, correspondence and reports concerning the annual council meetings. 1988-1997. 3 boxes.
- 'Daily files', consisting of copies of sent general correspondence. With some received correspondence. 1994-2000. 4 boxes.
- Files concerning conscientious objection and the situation concerning armed forces, conscription etc. in 180 countries. 1980-1998. 6 boxes, 2 folders.
- Documents concerning the Israeli section. 1986- 1999. 2 folders.
Balkan Peace Team
- Documents concerning the general assembly of the Balkan Peace Team ( BPT ). 1994- 1998. 1 folder.
- Documents concerning the activities of the BPT in Kosovo. 1992- 1998. 2 folders.
- Documents concerning the Croatian branch of the BPT, Otvorene O?i . 1994-1997. 2 folders.
- Newsletters and other documents concerning the campaign to free Mordechai Vanunu . 1992- 1999. 1 folder.
LIST ACCRUAL 2004
This accrual to the archives of the War Resisters International was received in 2004 and consists mostly of material from 1975-2001. The accrual also contains documents regarding the Lansbury House Trust Fund (LHTF) in association with the Alternative Defence Commission (ADC) . The LHTF is an educational charity, founded in 1968 by British pacifists, associated with the WRI. The ADC was set up in 1980, is in its turn associated and sponsored by the LHTF and based at the School of Peace Studies at Bradford University . Documents of the Myrtle Solomon Memorial Fund, a sub-committee of the LHTF, are included as well.
- Documents concerning the 22th Triennial Conference 'Choosing Peace Together' held from 19 to 24 September 1998 in Porec, Croatia. 1996- 1998. 9 folders and 2 boxes.
- Documents concerning the annual WRI Internal Council Meeting and Seminar 'From Kosov@ to Seattle: What role for nonviolent action?' in Oxford. 2000. 4 folders.
Sections, groups and affiliated organizations
Contacts with WRI members elsewhere
WRI Women's groups
concerning women and militarism.
NB. Contains also various newsletters on Greenham Common Women's Peace Camps.
- Documents concerning the 4th International Women's Conference 'Women Overcoming Violence: Redefining Development and Changing Society Through Nonviolence', Bangkok, 1992. 1990-1993. 11 folders and 3 boxes.
Lansbury House Trust Fund (LHTF)
- Minutes of meetings of the trustees with accompanying lettres to the trustees of the LHTF. 1980-1988. 1 folder.
correspondence of the LHTF.
1976- 1991. 2 boxes.
NB. Box 719 contains also LHTF annual reports 1977-1985.
concerning various projects of the LHTF.
4 boxes and 2 folders.
Peace Education Project (PEP). 1977-1986; 1989;
Alternative Defence Commission (ADC). 1981- 1987.
Devi Prasad. 1979- 1982;
Middle East Research and Action Group (MERAG). 1979-1985;
Student Peace Project. 1980-1981,1984-1986.
Chemical and Biological Warfare Project. 1982- 1988;
Verification Technology Information Centre (VERTIC). 1985-1988;
Hugh Brock Memorial Fund. 1985- 1987;
Transnational Institute (TNI). 1985-1987;
National Peace Council . 1986- 1987;
International Group of Researchers (IGRAT) on the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty. 1987;
Peace Pledge Union. 1985-1989.
Alternative Defence Commission (ADC)
Conscientious objection (Co) and Child Soldiers
- Documents of the Council of Europe and the UN Economic and Social Council on conscientious objection. 1989-1990. 1 folder.
- Documents concerning child soldiers. 1992- 2000. 4 folders.
Other international WRI events
- Seminar 'Nonviolent Struggle and Social Defence', Bradford, Great Britain, 1990. 1976-1992. 5 folders.
- Continents and Countries. 1982-2001. 33 folders and 1 box.
LIST ACCRUALS 2005-2007
The size of the accruals is 6.75 m.
- List of the Triennial & Council Meetings of the WRI between 1921 and 1985. N.d. 1 folder (large format).
- Text of the WRI statement on Wars of Liberation. With correspondence on drafts. 1990. 1 folder.
- Registration forms concerning the Triennial Conference 1994 and Council meeting 1995. 1994-1995. 1 folder.
- Documents concerning the 22nd Triennial Conference held in Porec, Croatia, in September 1998. 1998. 3 folders.
- Documents concerning the 23rd Triennial Conference held in Dublin, Ireland, in August 2002. 1991-2002. 5 folders.
- Documents concerning the council meetings and seminars. 1991, 2001. 2 folders.
- Minutes of the Executive Committee meetings. With annexes. 1987, 1989, 1998. 2 folders.
- 'Daily File', consisting of general correspondence and some documents on office matters. 2001-2004. 3 folders.
and articles on the history of WRI.
1990. 1 folder.
NB. Contains extracts from an interview with Myrtle Solomon. and an article about her.
- Copies and drafts of the Strategic Plan of WRI. With correspondence and questionnaires. 1992-1997. 2 folders.
Staff and personnel
1973-2003. 3 folders.
NB. Closed until 1 January 2025.
of the Personnel committee and staff reviews.
NB. Closed until 1 January 2025.
Documents concerning the appointment of a program and finance worker.
1997. 1 folder.
NB. Closed until 1 January 2025.
- Documents concening to the move of the WRI-office. With Correspondence with the Peace News Trustees. 1990-1999. 2 folders.
Sections and associations
- Application forms to affiliate to the WRI. With correspondence and other documents. 1966-1998. 2 folders.
the sections and associations of WRI.
- Belgium. Forum voor Vredesaktie; Register van Wereldburgers; Mouvement International de la Réconciliation. 1981-2005.
- France. Collectif de Objectrices et Objecteurs Tarnais (COT); France sans Armée; Mouvement pour une Alternative Non-violente (MAN); Réseau d'Information aux RéfractairEs; Union Pacifiste; Urgences Pacifistes. 1987-2003. (box)
- Germany. Archiv Aktiv; Anti-Kriegs Museum; Graswurzel Revolution; Deutsche Friedensgesellschaft-Veranigte Kriegsdienstgegnerinnen (DFG-VK). 1988-2004. (box)
- Great Britain. Anglican Pacifist Fellowship; Brotherhood Church; Peace Tax Campaign; Fellowship of reconciliation; Greenpeace. 1985-2002.
- Spain. Associació d'Objectors de Consciència (AOC); Movimiento de Objeción de Conciencia (MOC). 1990-1999.
Lansbury House Trust Fund (LHTF)
- Minutes of the Trustees' meetings. With copies of Compulsory military service and the objector . 1968-1975. 1 folder.
- Copies of statements and other documents concerning the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia. 1968. 1 folder.
- Reports and other documents concerning conscientious objection and conscientious objection rights. 1983-1998. 2 folders.
- Documents concerning the newsletter At Ease , military counseling information. 1986-1992. 1 folder.
- Documents concerning petitions of the European Parliament on conscientious objection. 1986-1989. 2 folders.
- Documents concerning seeking asylum with connection to conscientious objection. 1992-2001. 4 folders and 1 box.
- Documents concerning CONCODOC (Conscription and conscientious objection documentation). 1998-2001. 5 folders.
Nonviolence and Social Empowerment (NVSE)
- Documents concerning the conference Nonviolence and Social Empowerment, held in February 2001 in Orissa, India. 1999-2001 4 boxes and 2 folders.
Peace Translation Project
the contacts with other international organisations.
19 folders and 1 box.
- Coordinating Committee for Conflict Resolution Training in Europe. 1992-1997. (1 box and 2 folders)
Countries and regions
background papers and other documents concerning various countries and regions.
1982-2004. 24 folders and 1 box.
- Iraq. With documents concerning anti-war protests and countries in the 'coalition of the willing'. 1998-2003.
N.B. Contains also documents of SERPAJ (Servicio Paz y Justica)
correspondence and other documents concerning the Council meeting in 1999. With
documents concerning the seminar 'The Changing Face of the Military'.
1991. 3 folders.
N.B. See also inv.nr. 805.
- Agenda, minutes,correspondence and other documents concerning the Council meeting in 2000. With documents concerning the seminar 'From Kosova to Seattle'. 2000. 2 folders.
- Documents concerning the Frente Opositor al Servicio Militar Obligatorio (FOSMO), the Argentine affiliate of the WRI. 1985-1993. 1 cover.
- Correspondence and documents concerning the wills of legacies for the WRI. 1985-1996. 1 folder.
- Documents concerning the Lansbury House Trust Fund (LHTF). 1966-1998. 9 folders, 2 covers and 1 box.
- Correspondence with the International Fellowship of Reconciliation (IFOR). 1985-1999. 1 folder.
- Documents concerning conscientious objection issues in Latin America and the Caribbean, mainly correspondence with the Red Objeción de conciencia Latinoamericana y del Caribe (ROLC). 1992-2001. 1 folder.
- Documents concerning the promotion activities for CONCODOC (Conscription and conscientious objection documentation). 1996-1998. 1 cover.
List of the microfiches 1921-1974
The microfiche publication of WRI records from the period 1921-1974 was published by Harvester Press in 1977. In 1985 the WRI deposited its 'old archives' from 1921 at the IISH, followed by supplements in later years. The microfiche publication covers only a part of the archives. The size is 103 microfiches.
|1.||Detailed listing of the contents, identifying the individual documents. N.d. 1 card.|
|2-25.||Pamphlets. 1921-1974. 24 cards.|
|26-62.||Bulletin and successors. 1923-1924. 37 cards.|
|63-65.||Annual appeals and related records. 1934-1974. 3 cards.|
|66-76.||Minutes of Council meetings and minutes of International Council meetings. 1926-1974. 11 cards.|
|77-90.||Minutes of Executive Committee meetings and supplementary papers. 1955-1974. 14 cards.|
|91.||Secretary's report. 1947-1974. 1 card.|
|92-100.||Newsletter. 1962-174. 9 cards.|
|101.||Press releases. 1964-1974. 1 card.|
|102-103.||Training in non-violence. 1968-1973. 2 cards.|