210 War Resisters’ International

Like the labour movement, the peace movement had an extended tradition of international co-operation, dating back to the mid-nineteenth century. In 1921 in Bilthoven, at the initiative of the Quaker Kees Boeke (1884-1966), radical pacifist and anti-militarist groups founded the organization Paco (‘peace’ in Esperanto), renamed War Resisters’ International in 1923. WRI introduced the ‘broken rifle’ logo in the early 1930s. It supported conscientious objectors in the Federal Republic of Germany even before the Bundeswehr was established in 1955.

Kriegsdienstverweigerung (conscientous objection)

Kriegsdienstverweigerung (conscientous objection)
Hamburg: Laufenberg, 1954
Poster, 31x 43

Date: 
1954
Number: 
210

Location

IdK office
Bornstrasse 6
Hamburg
Germany