Lists of Museums
Lists of Museums
- Alte Völklinger Eisenhütte Information on these steel works in the Saarland, an industrial-archeological site. With images of labour in the steel works (video clips).
- Amana Heritage Museum The Amana Heritage Museum collections are comprised of approximately 12,000 objects and 10,000 archival pieces that pertain to the history of Amana and its associated religious group (The Community of True Inspiration) in Germany and America. The period of the collections covers ca. 1700 to the present, with emphasis on the communal period of Amana history (1855-1932)
- American Labor Museum (Haledon, NJ). General information.
- American Textile History Museum
- Arbejdermuseet & Arbejderbevægelsens Bibliotek og Arkiv (Copenhagen). The major Danish labour archive, with socialist and communist party records. General information.
- Arbetets Museum (Norrköping). General information, programs.
- Baltimore Museum of Industry General information.
- Black Country Living Museum (Dudley, West Midlands). Brief overview of the collections.
- Burcht - Vakbondsmuseum De Burcht (Amsterdam) The Netherlands' Trade Union Museum. General information.
- Canada Museum of Science and Technology Corporation The aim of the Corporation and its three Museums - the Canada Agriculture Museum, the Canada Aviation Museum, and the Canada Science and Technology Museum - is to foster scientific and technological literacy throughout Canada by establishing, maintaining and developing a collection of scientific and technological objects, with special but not exclusive reference to Canada, and by demonstrating the products and processes of science and technology and their economic, social and cultural relationships with society.
- Cape Breton Miners' Museum (Glace Bay, Nova Scotia). General information
- Central Museum of the Revolution (Moscow). General information from the Moscow Times.
- Centre historique minier de Lewarde Overview of the archival collection.
- Cité nationale de l'histoire de l'immigration (Paris). A museum for French immigration history, especially from the 19th century onwards.
- Clara Zetkin Museum Birkenwerder, Germany. General information.
- Computer History Museum (Moffett Field, CA). General information, online exhibits.
- Deutsches Bergbaumuseum (Bochum). An important mining museum. General information.
- Deutsches Freimaurer Museum The library of the German Masonic Museum in Bayreuth is considered to be the largest special collection in German speaking countries with approximately 16,000 volumes. General information, online catalogue.
- Dokumentationszentrum und Museum über die Migration in Deutschland DOMiD Documentation Centre and Museum of Migration in Germany (Cologne) is a merger of the associations Migration Museum e.V. and DOMiT e.V. The collection consists of books, grey literature, newspapers, magazines, documents, photos, film, audio recording, leaflets, posters and objects.
- Dunaskin Open Air Museum (Doon Valley, Scotland), on the site of the Dalmellington Iron Works. General information.
- Ferdinand Domela Nieuwenhuis Museum Website of a museum dedicated to one of the founding fathers of Dutch socialism and anarchism.
- Hagley Museum and Library (Wilmington, DE). One of the largest repositories of business records in the US. Online catalog (Web). Information on the Center for the History of Business, Technology and Society.
- Ironbridge Gorge Museum (Shropshire). General information on the museums and sites at this "birthplace of the industrial revolution".
- Landesmuseum für Technik und Arbeit (Mannheim).
- Lenin Museo (Tampere). "The only normally operating Lenin museum in the world". Offers a picture gallery.
- Lenin Museum (St Petersburg). General information.
- Lenin Museum (Moscow) Biographical texts and digitized photo's; some information about the Museum, but not on opening hours.
- Library and Museum of Freemasonry The repository for the archives of the United Grand Lodge of England and the Supreme Grand Chapter of England, their predecessor bodies, buildings and sites associated with Freemasonry, charitable bodies associated with Freemasonry, some individual Freemasons and some lodge and chapter records.
- Lowell National Historical Park (Lowell, MA), maintained by the National Park Service. Cotton textile mills, canals, operating gatehouses, worker housing etc, commemorating the American industrial revolution. General information.
- Lower East Side Tenement Museum A presentation and interpretation of the variety of immigrant and migrant experiences on Manhattan's Lower East Side, New York, NY; general information.
- Maison de la Métallurgie (Liège). General information.
- Memento Park Budapest - a kommunista diktatúra gigantikus emlékei Statuepark, Budapest. A large collection of statues and more from the communist period (fka Szoborpark).
- MOHAI: Seattle's Museum of History and Industry General information, searchable photo database.
- Monroe County Labor History Museum The museum buiding in Monroe, MI, is under construction; the web site already offers information on the beginning of the Michigan Labor history. There is a biographical sketch of Walter Reuther, and of Philip Murray, a photo gallery, and a virtual tour of the Newton Strike.
- Multatuli Museum Website Website of the Multatuli Museum and Multatuli Society of Amsterdam. Multatuli, Ps. of Eduard Douwes Dekker(1820-1887) was a Dutch writer and freethinker. General information about the Museum and the Society, a brief biography, a bibliography, links, and a catalogue of Douwes Dekker's personal library.
- Musée des Arts et Métiers (Paris). Database of the collections (45,000 references), selected pictures.
- Museo de la Solidaridad Salvador Allende (Santiago). General information on this museum of fine arts.
- Museum Arbeitswelt Steyr General information.
- Museum der Arbeit (Hamburg). The world of labour in Hamburg in the last 150 years. Extensive general information.
- Museum der deutschen Binnenschiffahrt (Duisburg). General information.
- Museum der Dinge Werkbundarchiv (Berlin). Records of the Deutscher Werkbund founded in 1907.
- Museum of English Rural Life at the University of Reading. Information on its collections, which include artefacts, books, archives, photographs, film and sound recordings, and are all related to the history of food, farming and country life. The Museum is also responsible for the The Rural History Database, an online bibliography of British rural history.
- Museum of Liverpool Life houses collections of regional provenance and national importance, including material relating to housing, public health, transport, employment, trade unionism, and recreation.
- Museum of Science & Industry in Manchester The Museum's archive and library collection mainly relates to the industrial, scientific and social history of the Manchester region. The archive material include books, business records, films, letters, oral history recordings, personal records, photographs, textile sample books, written and printed papers. General information, with "stunning visuals and sound", if you have all the plug-ins.
- Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago, IL). Exhibits page.
- Museum of Work and Culture (Woonsocket, RI). General information.
- Museum und Archiv für Arbeit und Industrie im Viertel unter dem Wienerwald (Wiener Neustadt). General information, from the 650 niederösterreichischen Museen und Sammlungen website.
- Museum voor Industriële Archeologie en Textiel MIAT (Ghent). General information.
- Museum zur Geschichte der Arbeiterbewegung und Sozialdemokratie im Raum St Pölten (St Pölten). General information, from the 650 niederösterreichischen Museen und Sammlungen website.
- National Coal Mining Museum (Wakefield, West Yorkshire). General information.
- National Museum of Science and Industry consisting of the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television (Bradford), the National Railway Museum (York) and the Science Museum (London).
- Nederlands Textielmuseum (Tilburg). With a specialized library and documentation centre. General information.
- New Bedford Whaling Museum (New Bedford, MA). Includes the entire collection of the Kendall Whaling Museum. Online catalog (logbooks and journals), bibliographies, newsletter.
- Nova Scotia Museum of Industry (Stellarton). General information.
- Owen - Robert Owen Museum Newtown, Powys, U.K. General information, a short online biography.
- People's History Museum (formerly National Museum of Labour History, Manchester). Holdings include the records of the Labour Party and the Communist Party of Great Britain. The public galleries are housed at the Pump House.
- Povazske Muzeum (Zilina). The Povazie museum is the only museum in the world entirely devoted to the tinker trade. Its collections include almost 2 500 pieces of objects related to the tinker trade.
- Rheinisches Industriemuseum A group of six industrial museums in the Rheinland. General information.
- Rochdale Pioneers Museum The museum of the co-operative movement.
- Sächsisches Industriemuseum A cooperative of industrial museums in Chemnitz, Crimmitschau, Ehrenfriedersdorf and Knappenrode.
- Scottish Textile Heritage Online "This groundbreaking pilot project aims to provide a one-stop shop for anyone wanting information about the richness and diversity of Scottish Textile heritage collections. Users will be able to browse through a database of some 4,000 descriptions of archive and museum collections and objects with supporting images."
- TextileMuse The searchable online catalogue of Arthur D. Jenkins Library collections, the Textile Museum, Washington DC.
- Tolpuddle Martyrs Museum (Dorchester). General information, highlights of the new exhibition on "the foundation of modern day trade unionism".
- Työväen Keskusmuseo (Tampere). The Central Museum of Labour. Extensive general information, overview of the collection.
- Workers Arts and Heritage Centre (Hamilton). General information.
- Association of Masonic Museums, Libraries and Archives AMMLA General information, listings of museums, libraries and archives, interactive information service.
- International Council of Museums Publications, links.
- International Council on Monuments and Sites An international non-governmental organization of professionals, dedicated to the conservation of the world's historic monuments and sites. Directory, documentation centre, links.
- MCN - Museum Sites Online Links to over 1,700 international museum and museum-related WWW sites, from Museum Computer Network.
- Työväen perinnelaitokset Suomessa Institutions of Labour Heritage in Finland: links to labour and labour history organizations in Finland.
- Virtual Library Museen Virtual Library Museums contains museum related information in Germany and in German-language countries.
- Virtuelles Museum für Industriekultur maintained by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Industriekultur (Duisburg). Discussion list, extensive German and international links to heritage sites.
- WorkLab The International Association of Labour Museums. General information, newsletter
- WWW Virtual Library: Museums at the International Council of Museums. Several mirror sites available.
Last updated 27 April 2009