Specialized Research Institutions
Lists of Research Institutions
Specialized Research Institutions
Lists of Research Institutions
- Afrika Studiecentrum (Leiden) African Studies Centre - Centre d'Etudes Africaines: research institution and documentation centre for African studies in the Netherlands. Online catalogue and many other resources including working papers, 'Web Dossiers' containing topical information on Africa, 'African Studies Abstracts Online', and bibliographies.
- Appalachian Center at the University of Kentucky at Lexington. Regional social-economic historical data available online. See publications
- Australian Centre For Fraternal Studies The Centre for Fraternal Studies (CFS) is a research, conservation and display facility furthering the study of fraternalism and the neglected world of fraternal associations, ie, in the main, trade unions, friendly societies and Freemasons.
- Brock University Department of Labour Studies General information and links to other programs.
- Center for Millennial Studies (Boston, MA). Offers an extensive bibliography.
- Center for Socialist History (Berkeley, CA). General information.
- Center for Working-Class Studies (Youngstown, OH). The web site includes information about working-class studies as a field of study, information on courses, research, and programs at YSU, a bibliography, and links to related web sites.
- Center on Wealth and Philanthropy CWP Formerly Social Welfare Research Institute, at Boston College. Working papers, research projects.
- Centre d'Etudes et de Documentation d'Information et d'Action sociales (Paris). General information about the Centre's activities, its collections and publications.
- Centre d'Etudes et de Recherches sur les Migrations ibériques CERMI at the Bibliothèque de Documentation internationale contemporaine (Nanterre). General information, tables of contents of its journal.
- Centre d'Etudes et de Recherches sur les Mouvements Trotskyste et Révolutionnaires Internationaux CERMTRI (Paris). General information.
- Centre d'Histoire et de Sociologie
des Gauches General information in French.
- Centre de recherche d'histoire sociale du XXe siècle CHS (ex- Centre de recherche d'histoire des mouvements sociaux et du syndicalisme).
- Centre d’Estudis sobre les Èpoques Franquista i Democràtica
- Centre for Asia Pacific Social Transformation Studies (CAPSTRANS) Interdisciplinary research institution for the Asia Pacific Region, Wollongong, NSW.
- Centre for Economic Learning and Social Evolution An interdisciplinary research centre based at University College London. Research is concerned with the modelling of human behavior in the social sciences.
- Centre for Industrial Relations at the University of Toronto. Home to the Jean and Dorothy Newman Industrial Relations Library. General information.
- Centre for Labour and Trade Union Studies at the University of Waikato. General information.
- Centre for Labour Research The Centre for Labour Research is part of the Australian Institute for Social Research based at the University of Adelaide.
- Centre for Research in International Migration and Ethnic Relations at the University of Stockholm. Extensive general information, some relevant links.
- Centre for Research into Freemasonry at the University of Sheffield. Access to the online version of Lane's Masonic Records of England and Wales, Draffen's Scottish Masonic Records, an Introductory Bibliography of English-Language Works and other resources.
- Centre for Rural Social Research at Charles Sturt University at Wagga Wagga. Articles from Rural Society, links.
- Centre for the Study of Socialist Theory and Movements at the University of Glasgow. General information, journal.
- Centro de Documentación de la Emigración Española CDEE: Spanish emigration research centre. General information, extensive collection information, all in Spanish; from the website of the Fundación 1o de Mayo.
- Centro de Estudios de Población (CENEP) Centre for population studies in Argentina. Its subject areas include the social and demographic aspects of human reproduction, the family, and gender and population.
- Centro de Estudios e Investigación en Ciencias Sociales CEICS Information about the Centre and its program, calendar of events, links
- Centro de Estudios Filosóficos, Políticos y Sociales Vicente Lombardo Toledano CEFPSVLT (México). General information.
- Centro de Investigación y Estudios Republicanos CIERE Centre for Spanish Republican Studies (Madrid); publishes the Cuadernos Republicanos; general information, access to its online catalogue.
- Centro de Investigaciones Históricas de los Movimientos Armados (Mexico). General information.
- Centro di studi sui monti di pietà (Bologna). Bibliography, detailed information on individual institutions in Italy.
- Centro ligure di storia sociale (Genoa). Information on the Centre's collections, activities and publications.
- Centro Sergio Buarque de Holanda (CSBH) Established by Fundação Perseu Abramo this is research centre and repository of the Partido dos Trabalhadores; publisher of the review Perseu: história, memória e política.
- Centro studi storia del lavoro (Imola). General information.
- Centrum för Arbetarhistoria Centre for Labour Studies, Landskrona. General information on the Centre and its activities.
- Centrum voor de Geschiedenis van Migranten The Dutch Centre for the History of Migrants was founded in 1995 as a cooperation of several research centres. The website offers general and project information in Dutch, a bibliography and links.
- Clio site d'histoire sociale Bibliography, links, and conference information especially on immigration and ethnic relations in France.
- Cluster Geschichte - Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft A directory of the historical research institutions grouped into this cluster.
- CODESRIA, the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa Dakar, Senegal. It was established in 1973 as an independent Pan-African research organisation with a primary focus on the social sciences, broadly defined.
- Department of Contemporary History at the University of Turku. General information.
- Department of Political Science and International Relations - University of Tampere General information.
- European Research Centre on Migration and Ethnic Relations at the University of Utrecht.
- European Trade Union Institute For Research, education and health and safety (ETUI-REHS)
- Fernand Braudel Center at the State University of New York at Binghamton. Engaged in "the analysis of large-scale social change over long periods of historical time". Newsletter, papers, table of contents of its journal, Review.
- Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini (Rome, Milan) Labour Research Institution. General information about the Fondazione and its activities.
- Fondazione Giangiacomo Feltrinelli (Milan). Extensive Italian and international labour holdings. Overview of the collections. Parts of the library catalogue can be consulted through Italy's Servizio Bibliotecario Nazionale, or its Polo regionale Lombardo
- Forschungsstelle für Wirtschafts- und Sozialgeschichte Ostmitteleuropas Bibliography, Conferences, Publications and Journal.
- Forschungszentrum für historische Minderheiten (Vienna). Information about the Centre and its archival and library collections.
- Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (Bonn) of the Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands. Historical research, rich library and manuscript collections. Online catalogue (Web), guide to the archives, exhibitions etc.
- Fundación de Investigaciones Marxistas (FIM) Archivo histórico PCE, the historical archives of the Spanish communist party.
- Fundación Primera de Mayo (Madrid). Research and documentation centre created by the Comisiones Obreras. General information.
- GESIS Servicestelle Osteuropa GESIS Service Agency Eastern Europe: an organization for the transfer of social science information and data between Eastern and Western Europe.
- Global Union Research Network (GURN) The aim of this network is to give union organizations better access to research carried out within trade unions and allied institutions. The initiative to establish the network was taken by the ILO's Bureau for Workers' Activities (ACTRAV) in cooperation with the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU), the Trade Union Advisory Committee to the OECD (TUAC) , the Global Union Federations (GUFs) and the ILO's International Institute for Labour Studies (IILS). The website has newsletters, reports and documents on several key topics, directories, and a list of meetings.
- Hamburger Institut für Sozialforschung Overview of its research projects and collections, in particular on "Protest, Widerstand und Utopie in der BRD".
- Haus der Geschichte des Ruhrgebiets The House for the History of the Ruhr is home to the Stiftung Bibliothek des Ruhrgebiets (SBR) and the Institut für soziale Bewegungen (ISB). The Haus der Geschichte holds the stock of the Bibliothek des Ruhrgebiets and the Archiv für soziale Bewegungen.
- Human Sciences Research Council Information on ongoing research programs.
- ICS - Instituto de Ciências Sociais da Universidade de Lisboa Information about the Institute; online library catalogue; an overview of the collections in the Arquivo de História Social; access to several research databases.
- INION (Moscow). The Institute for Information on the Social Sciences of the Russian Academy of Sciences. General information. Its current bibliography on the social sciences is available as an RLG CitaDel file.
- Institute for Anarchist Studies (Canterbury, Quebec). A nonprofit foundation established in 1996 to support the development of anarchism, is primarily a grant-giving organization for radical writers. Publisher of a biannual newsletter, Perspectives on Anarchist Theory.
- Institute for Migration and Ethnic Studies at the University of Amsterdam. Interdisciplinary research on migration history, among other topics.
- Institute of Migration Institute of Migration aims to promote and carry out migration and ethnic research and to encourage the compilation, storage and documentation of material relating to international and internal migration in Finland.
- Institute of Social Science at the University of Tokyo. Online library catalogue, information in Japanese and English.
- Instituto de Investigaciones Históricas y Sociales at the University of Veracruz. A research institute on regional labour and social history. General information.
- International Centre for Labour Studies (Manchester). General information.
- International Institute for Asian Studies (Leiden, the Netherlands). An infrastructural facility with important labour history projects.
- International Institute of Social History (Amsterdam). One of the largest research and documentary institutions in labour history anywhere. Collections information, extensive links. Online catalog, including archival and audiovisual holdings; separate guide to the archives and collections.
- International Rice Research Institute (Manila). Access to the 100,000-volume IRRI Library (online Web catalog, a searchable bibliography on rice, and useful links).
- Istituto Luzzatti (Rome). Cooperative studies. Brief overview of the collections.
- Istituto nazionale per la storia del movimento di liberazione in Italia Insmli (Milan). Overview of the collections, online catalogue of part of them.
- Istituto per la storia della resistenza e della società contemporanea della Marca trevigiana (Treviso). General information, overview of the collections.
- Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training Besides information on the Institute the website contains texts of the Japan Labor Review, the Japanese Journal of Labour Studies, the Japan Labor Bulletin, statistical data, research reports, and other resources for Japanese Labour.
- Karl Marx Haus (Trier), of the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung. Home to the Karl Marx Studienzentrum and its library.
- Katholiek Documentatie- en Onderzoekscentrum (Leuven). List of its archival holdings including many Roman Catholic labour records. Online library catalogs and databases.
- Labor Education and Research Center (Olympia, WA). General information.
- Labor Education and Research Center at the University of Oregon at Eugene. General information.
- Laboratoire de Démographie historique (Paris). Research projects, publications.
- Laboratoriia Istoricheskoi Informatiki at Moscow State University. Information in Russian.
- London School of Economics Extensive program information of this major social science research centre.
- Maison des Sciences de l'Homme (Paris). Program information of a major coordinator of French and international historical and social science research.
- Memorial - Moscow Documentary and research centre on human rights in past and present. Cyrillic font.
- Memorial - Ryazan' Regional department of the Memorial society.
- Migration Policy Institute (Washington, D.C.) From the website of this independent institution visitors can download working
papers and reports on American and European migration and migration policy.
- National Institute of Labour Studies at Flinders University, Adelaide. General information.
- ODIS Intermediary structures in Flanders (19th-20th centuries) This Belgian documentation and research organization aims to create an international and interdisciplinary scholarly forum for discussion by organizing workshops and other initiatives. Its website gives access to a database of organizations and persons in intermediary structures.
- Office universitaire de recherche socialiste L'OURS Information about this research centre, library and archives, activities and publications; extensive information about its collections which include the archives of the Parti socialiste SFIO (1944-1969).
- Ohara Institute for Social Research at Hosei University. Japanese labour links, various bibliographies on industrial relations, other online resources.
- Osteuropa-Institut (Regensburg). The Institute for Eastern European Studies is focused on Eastern Europe and non-European states of the former Soviet Union. Its library is one of Europe's most comprehensive research libraries on Eastern European history, economy, politics, and society.
- Praxis Research and Educational Center An independent, voluntary collective, founded in 1998 by scholars and social movements activists grouped around the Victor Serge Public Library in Moscow. Its aims are a.o. to study left (anti-totalitarian) social and political thought as well as the historical experience of workers’ and other liberation movements.
- Russian Independent Institute of Social and Nationalities Problems Information in Russian and English.
- Sephis An independant research programme aiming to encourage the formation of a South-South network directed towards comparative historical research on long-term processes of change. Besides information on Sephis activities the website offers access to research papers, a newsletter, and links to other institutions.
- Slavic Research Center at Hokkaido University. Collections infomation, newsletter.
- Social Science Research Council Founded in 1923 the SSRC is an independent, non-profit organization. Programs information, publications.
- Souvarine, La - Bibliothèque d'Histoire sociale des Hauts-de-Seine (Nanterre). Institute for the history of communism, socialism,
anarchism, and syndicalisme named after its founder, Boris Souvarine (1896-1985). Information on its library collections; online catalogue. The Souvarine publishes Les Cahiers d'Histoire sociale.
- Sozio-ökonomisches Panel at the Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (Berlin). "A representative longitudinal study of private households in the entire Federal Republic of Germany" (1984-1997). Newsletter, bibliography etc.
- Tsentr Ekonomicheskoi Istorii at Moscow State University. Information in Russian and English on the Center, its activities, collections, and publications.
- N.W. Posthumus Instituut (Groningen), the Netherlands Research Institute and Graduate School for Economic and Social History.
- Russia Longitudinal Monitoring Survey at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Surveys examining the health and economic welfare of the Russian Federation.
- Stalin-Era Research and Archives Project at the University of Toronto. Bulletin, working papers, bibliography.
- Urban Society in the Low Countries IUAP-Network - Urban Society in the Low Countries from the Late Middle Ages to the XVIth Century. Participants: Ghent University (UGent) - University of Antwerp (UA) - University of Leiden - Free University of Brussels (ULB) - Royal Library (KBR).
Last updated 22 October 2009